MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bed sizes MTK3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-27-2010 07:45 PM
Mac's Software engineering and game design program rick Academics 5 09-09-2009 09:22 PM
What is the cut off CGPA for M.A.SC (THESIS) program of Engineering Physics sami6108 Academics 1 06-04-2009 02:30 PM
Physics class sizes MrFryingFish First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-13-2009 12:11 PM

Engineering II Program Sizes

Old 04-17-2010 at 08:29 PM   #16
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Last I heard Tron was supposed to have a cutoff around 100 recently. I doubt it's that big though. I would say lower (~60?). And I can not get over how many people with pro-choice I have heard going for Tron lately. Just of people I know I would say 5 are going with Tron.
Old 04-17-2010 at 08:54 PM   #17
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

I think i'm gonna end up with a CA of 6 with 31 units, which equals 186 "points". I think that's the equivalent of a CA of 5 with the regular 37 unit courseload. So with a CA of 5, which programs do you think I would wind up in?
Old 04-17-2010 at 09:21 PM   #18
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

I don't think you can get into management with that. maybe not even society.

In terms of programs, I think your chances of getting in are greatly reduced for mechanical and possibly civil. maybe even tron. Those are the only two-three programs that are first year favorites and that quite a few first years apply to. Everything else you can get in most likely. But doesn't mean you should not apply for those 3 programs I stated because you never know if you would end up in them if you do well on your upcoming exams.

Best of luck, dude.
Old 04-17-2010 at 09:30 PM   #19
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech3 View Post
I think i'm gonna end up with a CA of 6 with 31 units, which equals 186 "points". I think that's the equivalent of a CA of 5 with the regular 37 unit courseload. So with a CA of 5, which programs do you think I would wind up in?
You might be able to get into mechanical or civil depending on the demand for both of them. Electrical I'm not too sure about... But I think you're surest bet would be Materials, judging from my conversations with professors last year about enrollment.

I've heard people getting into mechanical with below 7. So you might have a chance?

As the above post said, if you are planning to go into management you might be out of luck.

Good luck on your exams and hope you enjoy what ever program you get into next year
Old 04-17-2010 at 09:35 PM   #20
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

i wasn't planning on going into management, so i don't have to worry bout that.
So chances are, I'll end up in materials which is cool since i like it...it's just that i like mech n civil a bit more. lol whatever. we'll see what happens at the end of May. personally, I'd be fine in any of my 4 program choices.
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:03 PM   #21
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstevenson View Post
Whats Tron's numbers like?
We have 52 students in second year I think. Its usually capped at around 50 every year so far to my knowledge.
Go TRON!!

I wouldn't worry yourself about GPA cutoffs and stuff just do you best and pray lol.

Last edited by Colin : 04-17-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:57 PM   #22
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I'm doing fine myself, but I'm wondering now, is there actually a cutoff for society ? I mean, I hear that it hardly ever fills its quota, but does that mean they'll take the students with rock bottom marks (as in ~4 ) . I would think they would want to aim for a better mean average amongst their potential students, but I don't know... Any idea on how that works?
Old 04-17-2010 at 11:41 PM   #23
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech3 View Post
i wasn't planning on going into management, so i don't have to worry bout that.
So chances are, I'll end up in materials which is cool since i like it...it's just that i like mech n civil a bit more. lol whatever. we'll see what happens at the end of May. personally, I'd be fine in any of my 4 program choices.
Your situation sounds oddly familiar. My fop four were Mech, Civil (structural), Civil (Enviro), and Materials as my throwaway choice. Funny how that one turned out.

I also had an average similar to (actually slightly below) yours, with 31 units as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'm doing fine myself, but I'm wondering now, is there actually a cutoff for society ? I mean, I hear that it hardly ever fills its quota, but does that mean they'll take the students with rock bottom marks (as in ~4 ) . I would think they would want to aim for a better mean average amongst their potential students, but I don't know... Any idea on how that works?
I was told that almost everyone gets into Society, just because there's a relatively small amount of interest in it. I did with my aforementioned average, but I remember hearing (and thus this is unconfirmed) that a friend of a friend was turned down, despite making it into second-year.

Like all the "complete" departments though, Society admittance is competitive based on relative marks, not absolute and thus if the first-year class happens to have a low CA, then they can't possibly turn them all down.
Old 04-18-2010 at 07:27 AM   #24
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Society usually doesn't turn away anyone since the quota never usually gets filled. I believe that the most they can take at the moment is around 60 people and in my second year (last year) we only had about 45 students and I think this year was around the same or maybe a bit more. So you won't have to worry about getting into society, it's pretty much a sure thing.

Old 04-18-2010 at 08:50 AM   #25
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

lol, myself: I'm far from worried. I know others who might be though.