MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineers On Their Way Around The Hammer sarahsweet MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-09-2011 02:57 PM
Which macbook to get for Engineers dide101 Computers & Tech 16 07-30-2011 09:25 AM
HII! especially to engineers ;) PSeng Introduce Yourself 0 09-17-2010 04:59 PM
Test For Engineers????????? ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 90 09-08-2010 02:35 PM
Calculators for Engineers ingénieur.xo Computers & Tech 14 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

For Engineers on/going on Co-op

Old 12-29-2012 at 08:35 AM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

For Engineers on/going on Co-op
Going on co-op soon? Check this out: http://on.fb.me/UzXTS9

It's a great initiative with obvious potential. Give it a chancce, remember that it exists in the summer term when you decide to take on a job in the middle of a city you don't know very well And good luck job hunting!

Some background for anyone more interested: It's an initiative by the Engineering Student Societies Council of Ontario (ESSCO). The most background info is available here: http://www.essco.ca/essco-connects/ It will rely on student participation to fuel the program, and it is open to more than 20,000 Engineering students across Ontario, so there's a pretty big pool of people...

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, I can address them here on MI, or e-mail [email protected] iety.ca

jim1 says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 12-29-2012 at 02:09 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Sweet I just joined. I'm scared shitless for coop lols

mike_302 likes this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 02:48 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Where abouts will you be working, out of curiosity? (City/region more specifically. We don't have to get into workplaces exactly )
Old 12-29-2012 at 02:50 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

No clue. Prepping for coop shitseason in a few days to mass apply
Old 12-29-2012 at 02:53 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Ahh, gotchya. So summer co-op. That's the busy season,, for sure! But 3rd year si the year that you become attractive to employers.
Old 12-29-2012 at 03:32 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Any tips n advices? I just wrote my resume trying to outline some stuff i did. Not that great marks and I just put the extracurrics I started this year
Old 12-29-2012 at 04:13 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Connections. Use them hard core. With or without great marks (especially without), I cannot emphasize enough how far connections will take you. From my understanding of some people I've worked with in the past, they were about as useless as a rock (poor grades, no extracurriculars, no motivation or anything) but they got their first job/co-op job because they knew someone in the office.

And be prepared to settle for your first job. I know too many people who want to leave engineering just because they aren't leading a team to some innovative design project, or they aren't given the most exciting task right out of the starting gate. It often takes many months or even years depending on the type of work, before you'll see what you want to... Education and extra-curriculars just help give you the extra stuff you need to jump the hurdles between yuo and that position you actually want.

EDIT: also, chemical is a really wide field... A friend of mine went into chem at waterloo and his first 4-mth coop was at a concrete facility where he was in charge of the mixing process... You would think that would be a civil engineers job, so you'd probably never apply to it right? It's pretty chem-eng related... Keep your mind open.

Leeoku says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-29-2012 at 08:01 PM   #8
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Any tips n advices? I just wrote my resume trying to outline some stuff i did. Not that great marks and I just put the extracurrics I started this year
On your resume, try to include things that make you stand out. Everyone always includes school projects, and what you learned at X part time job. The hiring manager for my location commented that no one ever had anything on their resumes that really stood out for the last job she put up. She really likes something that showed extra-curricular activities/hobbies.

Also, as Mike said, connections! You never know who knows of an opening!

jim1 likes this.