MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping English 1A03(T1), 1AA3(T1) and/or Phil 2D03(T2) watercresent Academics 5 06-12-2010 10:37 PM
ENGLISH 1A03/1AA3 during summer? macsci Academics 5 12-29-2009 04:10 PM

English 1A03 v.s. 1AA3

Old 06-10-2011 at 12:55 PM   #1
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

English 1A03 v.s. 1AA3
It appears I have a conflict with taking Music 1AA3 in 2nd term and English 1A03 taught by Zuroski. Now, I want to take 1AA3 music since its from Classical to present which is more interesting and which I have already studied (I just need an easy elective). So, the question is whether to take 1AA3 english during second term or take 1A03 English during first term evenings? Has anyone taken these courses they're taught by Hyman....

Last edited by oxelhs : 06-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2011 at 01:02 PM   #2
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I never had King as a prof, but it depends on the amount of reading you plan to do. If you are looking for some light reading I suggest 1A03 because it is all poems and short stories for the most part, so the reading isn't too demanding. If you are looking for something more "modern" (in a sense), I suggest 1AA3 because, even though the readings are novels/plays (we had to read 3 novels, 2 plays, 1 screenplay, and 2 graphic novels) thus making them longer, the context in which they are placed is less technical (i.e. for shorter genres, you learn the technique of poetry and have to count out the measure and what not) and the readings, especially the 2 graphic novels, screenplay, and one of the plays are placed in a much more recent context than most of the readings from 1A03.
Old 06-10-2011 at 01:08 PM   #3
oxelhs

Well, I'm kinda looking for the course that would be easier since these are just electives anyway...Donaldson teaches it first term in the evening but that seems like a waste since I'm done everything else around 3 p.m. and since I don't want to take Music 1A03 I don't know if I should even take English now or wait til summer school next year :S
Old 06-10-2011 at 01:11 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I agree with J. Dorey. I actually found Longer Genres A LOT more intense that Shorter Genres, although I enjoyed both. However, I took Longer Genres during the winter of 2010 and I had Dr. Brophy. I know that she taught it this past winter as well with the same texts. I was not a fan of the texts because they are so modern (except the first text with is Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) and I also hated the screenplay (which was Trainspotting). However, I have heard that in past years with different profs teaching the class, the texts haven't been as modern and have evn included some Shakespeare. It depends entirely on who you get (I'm not sure who's teaching it this year). I didn't do so well in this class but I did learn a lot. So, on the whole, I'd say that Shorter Genres is much lighter and of the two, is a better choice IMO.
Old 06-10-2011 at 01:13 PM   #5
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I agree with J. Dorey. I actually found Longer Genres A LOT more intense that Shorter Genres, although I enjoyed both. However, I took Longer Genres during the winter of 2010 and I had Dr. Brophy. I know that she taught it this past winter as well with the same texts. I was not a fan of the texts because they are so modern (except the first text with is Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) and I also hated the screenplay (which was Trainspotting). However, I have heard that in past years with different profs teaching the class, the texts haven't been as modern and have evn included some Shakespeare. It depends entirely on who you get (I'm not sure who's teaching it this year). I didn't do so well in this class but I did learn a lot. So, on the whole, I'd say that Shorter Genres is much lighter and of the two, is a better choice IMO.
Ah, I loved the texts! Especially Palace of the End, I had never heard of it before but I found out amazing. But yeah, for general easiness, I'd suggest 1A03 just for the lighter workload, yet it's still very interesting.
Old 06-10-2011 at 01:18 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
Ah, I loved the texts! Especially Palace of the End, I had never heard of it before but I found out amazing. But yeah, for general easiness, I'd suggest 1A03 just for the lighter workload, yet it's still very interesting.
Ugh really? I like the classics so much more! I didn't mind Kiss of the Fur Queen, though.
Old 06-10-2011 at 02:34 PM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I wont go into heavy details since those two already have, but for your purposes, 1A03 seems best. Zuroski is amazing

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 07:42 PM   #8
Nobel

Liked: 0 Times

Is there a great deal of writing in either of the courses? I'm looking for a course with a greater emphasis on writing skills and the only one I can find is English ICS3 Studying Culture course but very few have taken it and I don't know why!
Old 06-10-2011 at 07:56 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Is there a great deal of writing in either of the courses? I'm looking for a course with a greater emphasis on writing skills and the only one I can find is English ICS3 Studying Culture course but very few have taken it and I don't know why!
I've taken all three of the above courses (including 1CS3). They were all amazing! 1CS3 (English & Culture Studies) had a much more modern and current theme to it. We spent one whole lectre on Lady Gaga and another on Disaster p*rn. There is a certain emphasis on writing skills; in tutorial (not in lecture) your TA goes over how to write a thesis, research, and do editing with the class. I had an awesome TA so my experiece was great but I can also see that it wouldn't be so great if you had a not-so-good TA (but that's the case with any class). There are essay options such as writing about Matthew Arnold and historic view on High Culture, and also much more current options such as writing about flashmobs and consumer products. I really enjoyed all three classes, but (obviously) the content is greatly different in each one. I did well in 1CS3 and finished with a 10. Hope this helps!

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 06-10-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2011 at 08:36 PM   #10
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobel View Post

I'm basically in love with Mary O'Connor, the woman who teaches the course. The course outline does not do the actual syllabus any justice. Culture is a broad topic, and we examine it in both the broad sense (some of the readings resulted in hair being pulled out and countless hours of WHAT THE FLYING **** IS THIS) and the very specific- photographs, pop music, etc.

It's an excellent course, but it requires your patience. it's the sort of course where, once you get over the hurdles, you'll be glad you're enrolled.

....think of it like a series of trials to attain a horcrux, and then realizing that the horcrux is basically super important and you can now totally go back to hogwarts and gloat and maybe make out with some Ravenclaw chicks

/whatever the hell that was, I'm not even a harry potter diehard

Purple2309 likes this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 10:02 PM   #11
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

I had Dr. Z for English 1AA3 first term last year and she was great, I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I'd recommend taking it with her, but it's up to you!
Old 06-10-2011 at 10:25 PM   #12
oxelhs

Yeah the thing is if I take it with Dr. Z I can't take the music that I want so I gotta take English first term evening with Dr. Donaldson anyone know how he is??
Old 06-10-2011 at 10:30 PM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxelhs View Post
Yeah the thing is if I take it with Dr. Z I can't take the music that I want so I gotta take English first term evening with Dr. Donaldson anyone know how he is??

I haven't had him yet, but will next year for American Lit.
If you visit his Rate My Prof page (http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...?tid=4 29063), it's nothing but good stuff. So whatever English course you end up taking, Zuroski or Donaldson, you're getting a sweet deal.