MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Csct 1bb3 Exam rosh4850 Academics 0 04-27-2010 09:57 PM
CSCT/English/Peace Studies 4IP3/Comp Lit 3MM3 lorend 4th Year Course Reviews 0 12-14-2009 01:46 PM
CSCT 1B03 vs. CSCT 1BB3 MarissaK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-18-2009 06:12 AM

English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture

Old 06-17-2008 at 08:37 AM   #16
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture
This course is interesting, the material is relevant and touches on aspects of marketing (which I enjoy ).

Official Course Description:
Click here to read the entire review

all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 11-30-2008 at 06:46 PM   #15
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
it depends on your interests within english.

1b03 and 1bb3 are about consumerism and visual culture. 1a03 i believe is shorter genres (plays, poems, short stories) while i think 1aa3 is longer genres (novels)

I've never done 1B03 before...(Visual Culture I guess) but I've done 1A03 & 1AA3 before. Having never done it before I don't even know what it would be dealing with. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 12-02-2008 at 10:31 AM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
It all depends on if you want to experience something different or not. The course is still pretty straight-forward, in my opinion. They don't throw a lot of abstract concepts on you because it's only a first year course.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-04-2008 at 01:02 PM   #17
frozenmelon

Liked: 0 Times
Sorry, drawing off topic here...
But I'm taking English 1A03 and 1B03 next semester.
Recently, my friend told me 1A03 was a b**ch because of the poetry unit.
Is there a big difference between longer genres and shorter genres?
I really don't mind either of them, and if anyone has take one of these courses, maybe a personal opinion?

and back on topic

1BB3 or 1B03?
Old 04-28-2009 at 05:34 PM   #18
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times
I took this class last semester (Fall 2008) with Dr. Marc Oullette on Monday nights.

I found it to be pretty straight forward.

Dr. Oullette provides slides with several real life examples to connect the concepts of popular culture to real life situations (e.g. Starbucks, Reality television). The textbook used is written by two McMaster professors and is easy to follow.

In addition to the readings are course reserves (usually one or two per week) which came from popular culture studies and were often more interesting than the text reading. Tutorial basically consisted of someone leading a discussion about one of these readings.

My T.A. marked my first two papers but Dr. Oullette approves them first. He marked the final which was multiple choice, an ad-commentary and an essay about capitalism.

While the professor is a little smug, he is relatively harmless and a nice guy.

I ended up with a ten in this class with an average amount of effort given.

I would definitely recommend it for anyone planning to take cultural studies or English
Old 06-23-2009 at 05:47 AM   #19
mohands

which course is it better to take for an elective/easy mark boost ENG 1A03 or ENG1BB3??
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:51 AM   #20
iki_31
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
thats a good question... I would love to know the answer to that too.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:22 AM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
English courses do no give you a mark boost. The class averages are normally C+/B-, sometimes a little bit lower.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 10:28 AM   #22
mohands

i know that theres a difference between 1bb3 and 1a03(shorter genre) but workload wise which is easier to handle??
Old 08-15-2009 at 04:43 PM   #23
shortyy88

hey I'm trying to choose between English 2J03, 1B03, and 1BB3... i need 2 out of the 3.. any suggestions? I need to take it for prerequisites for grad school but i also need something I'm not going to do poorly in... so no lower than an 8... I'm decent in english.. but I'm in science so any advice on which 2 i should choose?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2010 at 01:55 PM   #24
erin.lam

I'm very interested in taking CSCT 1BB3 after reading Chad's review, and have been trying to look for this course in the Undergraduate Calendar but can't seem to find it.

Has the course code changed at all? Or am I not looking hard enough?
Old 06-16-2010 at 02:00 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin.lam View Post
I'm very interested in taking CSCT 1BB3 after reading Chad's review, and have been trying to look for this course in the Undergraduate Calendar but can't seem to find it.

Has the course code changed at all? Or am I not looking hard enough?
It has been replaced by English 1CS3 or CSCT 1CS3 (they are crosslisted).

erin.lam likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 01:25 PM   #26
amyclare

it was a great class!
Old 06-11-2012 at 10:45 AM   #27
sejd

How much time is required to read the course texts every week?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search