MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Psychology 3F03 R633 Academics 0 05-31-2010 11:21 PM
Bio 3F03 or 3K03 SciMania Academics 1 02-01-2010 06:29 PM
Is anyone in English/Comp Lit 3F03 - Fairy Tale? Kathy2 Academics 1 02-01-2010 11:46 AM
Fairy Tales? ENGLISH 3F03 Kurt_ Academics 8 06-14-2009 03:00 PM
Materials 3F03 micadjems 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-09-2009 07:05 AM

English 3F03

English 3F03
Fairy Tales
Published by Kathy2
04-18-2010
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
60%60%60%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 65%
English 3F03

I enjoyed this class. We examined many fairy tales, including Snow White, Bambi, Aladdin, Little Prince, Pippi Longstocking, Neverending Story and lots more. We talked about the authors, when the books were written and interpreted the stories.

This was the grading break down
essay #1 - 20%
essay #2 - 30%
final exam - 50%

We didn't get many hints about the exam, other than "There will be passages and essays", so it was pretty stressful since it was worth 50%. I studied a good amount and I think I did okay.

Overall, the class is fun and interesting. There is a lot of reading but I think it was worth it.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for English 3F03!

Old 06-08-2010 at 07:12 PM   #2
Isabel

Liked: 3 Times
THE FAIRY TALE

Course code: ENG 3F03/COMP LIT 3JJ3
Prof: Dr. Iris Bruce, Comp Lit

Warnings:
  1. Need good essay writing skills
  2. Heavy reading load (esp near the end of the term)
Reading list:
  1. Arabian Nights
  2. Cinderella (Grimm, Perrault, others)
  3. The Beauty and the Beast (Beaumont)
  4. The Frog King (Grimm)
  5. East of the Sun and West of the Moon
  6. Stuwwelpeter
  7. Slovenly Betsy
  8. The Ugly Duckling (Anderson)
  9. The Emperor's Clothes (Anderson)
  10. The Little Mermaid (Grimm, Anderson, Yolen)
  11. Rumpelstiltskin (Grimm)
  12. Little Red Riding Hood (Grimm, Perrault, Carter)
  13. Rapunzel (Grimm, Schulz, Basile)
  14. Snow White (Grimm)
  15. Bambi
  16. The Happy Prince
  17. The Little Prince
  18. Pippi Longstocking
  19. Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  20. The Neverending Story
  21. The Zig Zag Kid
This was certainly a very interesteing class! The topic content was very unique and definitely appealed to those interested in learning more about the 'real' meaning of a red riding hood. The focus is on what the underlying themes are and how different authors portray their ideas. Dr. Bruce - being a comp lit professor - puts a lot of importance on context, of the author and the time period both, so don't forget to mention these in your essays!

However, I do have to caution that it is only for those with strong essay writing skills as appoximately 75% of your mark is based on essays. Feedback on the essays is constructive and fairly thorough, especially considering there were nearly 400 students split between only 2 marking TAs.

Dr Bruce is for the most part available only briefly (2 h/week) and gets many visitors so go in advance if you need too. She won't be of much help if you're looking for essay writing advice - her advice is more topic-oriented, pointing out to you where you might find some stronger arguments.
Old 06-10-2010 at 06:27 PM   #3
livi.g

Liked: 1 Time
thanks for the great description- did this class have a tutorial as well, or just lectures?
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:29 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
3 lectures per week.

Old 06-13-2010 at 11:10 PM   #5
miniwheats

Liked: 0 Times
Are all these stories provided in some sort of courseware package? Or do we have to buy them separately?
So you probably wouldn't recommend this course to someone in Science thinking of taking it as an elective? I haven't written an essay since high school but this course seems so interesting!
Old 06-14-2010 at 06:58 AM   #6
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheats View Post
Are all these stories provided in some sort of courseware package? Or do we have to buy them separately?
So you probably wouldn't recommend this course to someone in Science thinking of taking it as an elective? I haven't written an essay since high school but this course seems so interesting!
There was a courseware, but you'll be buying a bunch of books too. There's one main book that contains many fairy tales, and then there's a volume of Arabian Nights, some tiny books, and all the novels (#15 to 21 from the list above). The shorter stories are easy to get through, but I would recommend getting a head start on the novels as early as possible.

It's a good elective for sure, but essay writing skills are essential. I kind of felt that they marked a tiny bit harder than the other English courses I've taken, but the TAs gave a lot more feedback (long-ish paragraph critique/response).
Old 08-20-2010 at 09:20 AM   #7
desour3
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times
I'm taking this course over the Winter 2010-2011 Academic year and will be sure to post a full account of my experience when I'm done!

iiiZA, JBajwa like this.
Old 12-17-2010 at 08:14 PM   #8
nita

Liked: 3 Times
would you take this course over taking English 1A03 or 1AA3? It sounds way more interesting. I need an english elective, and I went to the academic counselor and they said that a 3rd year english class is open to non english students, which would be easier than a first year english class that is both for non english and english students. I think they're wrong.. .but i'm registered in 3F03 right now. Just wondering if I should switch out since I haven't written an essay since 1st yr. Also, only a certain number of 1st yr courses can be taken in your 4 yrs right? like 40 units? Can you go over that limit?
Old 01-07-2011 at 10:13 PM   #9
Navi

Liked: 0 Times
YEs im also wondering if this course would be reccommended for someone who is not in an english program, but is trying to satisfy a course requirement. Would you reccommend this course over english 1aa3? Please let me know thanks
Old 01-09-2011 at 11:55 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I took 3F03 without taking any English courses in university, and I did fine. I was in Pol Sci though, so I had written a lot of essays. This course is based completely on writing essays, so if you don't feel you are strong in that area, I would maybe avoid it.
Chances are, the academic advisor knows better than me. If they say 3F03 will be easier than 1AA3, I would trust them.
Old 01-17-2011 at 12:38 PM   #11
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times
1AA3 was mostly based on essays as well. But i just think the expectations are different (first year vs. third year). Also, first year courses are more subjective because it will completely depend on your TA. And I noticed that in 1AA3 they didn't focus on writing style as much as content. Which could also be true about fairytales since it's for non-english majors.
Old 01-20-2011 at 06:17 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post

Warnings:
[*]Stuwwelpeter.
You guys had to read Struwwelpeter?! I had that book as a kid (my parents aren't psychopaths, so I really don't know how I ended up with it). I haven't read the English version, but I imagine it's equally horrific.

I never played with matches and I shower regularly, so I guess it did it's job...
Old 08-07-2012 at 01:39 AM   #13
randhirmiz

Liked: 12 Times
Can you take this course in Second year or do you have to be in third?
Old 12-08-2015 at 11:08 PM   #14
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times
The worst class I have taken in my undergraduate career.

Dr. Iris Bruce gives rambling, disorganized lectures with error-laden Powerpoints.

My TA, Emily Sattler, was a first year Masters student, and she was one of the worst markers I have ever had. She marked all of the essays unanimously too harshly. Multiple students complained. I can only assume that this harshness was because of her insecurity as a first year graduate student-- her desire to ingratiate herself with the upper echelons of the English department resulted in her holding the essays to an unrealistic standard.

The class was abysmally organized. The reading schedule changed multiple times throughout the semester due to Dr. Bruce's propensity to spend half of each lecture reviewing the last one. We rushed through multiple novels, and we cut one film completely.

An awful class in every sense of the word. Avoid.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search