MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advanced Math courses for science student luxhydrus Academics 6 10-02-2010 10:21 PM
English for health sci student? Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 12 06-29-2010 09:21 AM
English electives for science students: what not to take? shreya s. Academics 2 04-28-2010 08:21 PM
What does health science look for in a student? Pinakin Academics 30 02-14-2010 11:58 AM
Question for first year social science student DJ_JJ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-23-2009 12:27 AM

English course for a science student

Old 06-12-2010 at 01:01 PM   #1
jordan18

Liked: Liked 3 Times

English course for a science student
Ive read the reviews of all the english courses I could take but I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on what I should take. Im not a very good essay writter but im not completely terrible either so Im looking for an 'easier' english course. I am aiming to at least get a 10.
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:03 PM   #2
Sameen

Liked: 3 Times

Its usually hard to do well in English. I think English 1A03 and 1AA3 would be the "easiest" ones. lol
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:05 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Eng3F03 (Fairy Tales) is supposed to be a good course. I know someone in science who took it in 2nd yr and got a 10 in it--and she hadn't taken any english courses since gr12.
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:09 PM   #4
Sameen

Liked: 3 Times

Omg really! Okay, maybe i'll take 3F03.
What about 2c03?
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:17 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I would suggest not taking upperyear english courses. The marking is a lot harder and if you say that you aren't very good at writting essays then I would suggest avoiding upper year english courses.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:02 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I'd also like reviews of english courses as a science student. How difficult was it in addition to the science workload? Also, has anyone taken it the summer that can share their experiences?
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:35 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

If essay writing isn't your thing, I'd suggest staying away from courses like those to be honest. They can make or break your grade.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:44 PM   #8
jordan18

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
If essay writing isn't your thing, I'd suggest staying away from courses like those to be honest. They can make or break your grade.
Yeah thats what im worried about. Im just looking into it for professional schools though. So if there is a course that isnt too bad, I want to take it.
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:51 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan18 View Post
Yeah thats what im worried about. Im just looking into it for professional schools though. So if there is a course that isnt too bad, I want to take it.
In that case, I would double check with the schools you're looking into to see if they require a specific english course (i.e. composition, literature, writing, etc) and look into their course equivalents, so that you don't end up taking the wrong course.
Old 06-12-2010 at 03:34 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
In that case, I would double check with the schools you're looking into to see if they require a specific english course (i.e. composition, literature, writing, etc) and look into their course equivalents, so that you don't end up taking the wrong course.
Sometimes I wish that Science offered a "How to write a lab manual" course. Since it's a writing course it would have qualified Lol.

As for workload, I didn't have any problems balancing english and my courses. I still did horrible in the course, I just don't have the kind of mind to think about all those themes and how the stories relate.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:07 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Sometimes I wish that Science offered a "How to write a lab manual" course. Since it's a writing course it would have qualified Lol.

As for workload, I didn't have any problems balancing english and my courses. I still did horrible in the course, I just don't have the kind of mind to think about all those themes and how the stories relate.
Lol, I know exactly what you mean. Sadly only colleges offer such a course :(. Would've been really useful and relevant.

Thanks for your input! I'm hoping to just take it in the summer and just concentrate on it. I did like English in high school so hopefully it won't be too different...=/
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:13 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Lol, I know exactly what you mean. Sadly only colleges offer such a course :(. Would've been really useful and relevant.

Thanks for your input! I'm hoping to just take it in the summer and just concentrate on it. I did like English in high school so hopefully it won't be too different...=/
All I did in highschool was Shakespeare, so it was really different from English in university.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:38 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I liked Comp Lit 1A03, it's now English 2T03.
Old 06-14-2010 at 02:00 PM   #14
t.dot

Liked: 0 Times

Does anyone know which english course is an English Composition course?/ and what that entailss. (sorry if this sounds really stupid)

Also, I would like to work on my analytical skills to help prepare myself for the MCAT writing section. Is there an english course at mac that sort of reflects the MCAT passages??
Old 06-14-2010 at 02:36 PM   #15
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I'm in the same situation. Taking 1AA3 second semester this summer to fill one semester (I'm generally decent with the "Long genre" stuff but "Short Genre" stuff bores me and in high school I'd get around 10% lower on anything about it).

I am probably going to take Waterloo's "Introduction to Academic English" or something like that to fill the second semester requirement.

I really wish we had Humanities courses that synched up well with our Science focus. I would love if they had "Introduction to Scientific English" and if they offered "Philosophy of Science" more than, well never.