MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advanced Math courses for science student luxhydrus Academics 6 10-02-2010 10:21 PM
English for health sci student? Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 12 06-29-2010 09:21 AM
English electives for science students: what not to take? shreya s. Academics 2 04-28-2010 08:21 PM
What does health science look for in a student? Pinakin Academics 30 02-14-2010 11:58 AM
Question for first year social science student DJ_JJ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-23-2009 12:27 AM

English course for a science student

Old 06-14-2010 at 03:11 PM   #16
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

I took eng 1bb3 last year. I don't think it is offered this year, but instead changed the eng 1c03 the introduction to culture one. Nonetheless it was one of my favorite classes from first year and a nice break from all the science . I found cultural studies to be really interesting as it also involved an economical and psychological approach into what we do. In my class I had to write a couple of essays in individualism and identity. In terms of the time spent on the class, I would say it was the one that I spent the most time on all semester as I am not a very fast writer. Nonetheless I think the effort paid off as I ended up with an 11. I think for all english courses, a 10/11 is very doable if you work VERY hard. I also had a very helpful TA. I think it's really important for all english courses though to go see your TA to thoroughly critique your essay outlines before you start writing.
Old 06-14-2010 at 05:30 PM   #17
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I'm in the same situation. Taking 1AA3 second semester this summer to fill one semester (I'm generally decent with the "Long genre" stuff but "Short Genre" stuff bores me and in high school I'd get around 10% lower on anything about it).

I am probably going to take Waterloo's "Introduction to Academic English" or something like that to fill the second semester requirement.

I really wish we had Humanities courses that synched up well with our Science focus. I would love if they had "Introduction to Scientific English" and if they offered "Philosophy of Science" more than, well never.
Philosophy of Science (1D03) was a terrible course. :|

Quote:
Also, I would like to work on my analytical skills to help prepare myself for the MCAT writing section. Is there an english course at mac that sort of reflects the MCAT passages??
Anything that is very wordy and convoluted are good - especially with metaphors. The Comp Lit Courses are good for that, most english courses ...