MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaders Building Leaders: Federal Public Service Leadership Development Internship ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 4 12-25-2010 10:46 AM

Enthusiastic Leaders wanted for Engineering Welcome Week 2014!

Members have rated post #397814 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 03-03-2014 at 03:54 PM   #1
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating10 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community seriously dislikes this post by oliveig
It may contain offensive material. Click here to view it anyways.
Old 03-03-2014 at 04:26 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Certainly, anyone who takes on one of these roles is in for a wild ride!

The Program Planner and the Team Planner roles were held by as many as 15 students each year in past years, and their work started as early as January, totaling approximately 5000 hours of work between January and September between all 15 individuals.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2014 at 05:10 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

It should also be noted for anyone who isnt in the know that ALL previous engineering welcome week reps have been banned from doing it again.

Good luck finding anyone with any experience with eng welcome week. Hell, good look finding enthusiastic leaders who want to do it outside of the current group of first years.
Old 03-03-2014 at 07:07 PM   #4
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

If you are in enge you should NOT apply to be a planner/rep next year.
Old 03-03-2014 at 07:48 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Ok wow I looked at these postings...(which shouldnt even be on a job forum...what type of person are you looking for anyways?)

1) Welcome week rep.
-Only 75 positions? Thats not enough people to support the entire group of first years. Particularly since they wont have any internal leadership with experience.
-"A minimum sessional (January-April) GPA of 6.0 must be achieved" ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME. One of the biggest problems students are going to be faced with is all of a sudden doing a lot worse and being far more stressed out than they have ever been academically before. It is essential that the welcome weeks reps represent all types of students from top averages down to those who have had to struggle with every single course. There is learning in struggling. Seriously...remove this requirement. (btw I have a solid average...but I learned a lot from the lessons of those who failed and were willing to talk about why they failed)

2) Program Planner
Either this person is going to want to do it for nothing or they are going to want to be paid like an engineering student. $12/hour is fine for 1st/2nd years for camp like positions but an upper year engineer would be expected to make at least $20/hour...particularly for a position that is both supervisory and going to require a huge network to help them get everything done in time. Your also very late. A lot of students already have coops by now...
Old 03-04-2014 at 01:10 AM   #6
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Ok wow I looked at these postings...(which shouldnt even be on a job forum...what type of person are you looking for anyways?)

1) Welcome week rep.
-Only 75 positions? Thats not enough people to support the entire group of first years. Particularly since they wont have any internal leadership with experience.
-"A minimum sessional (January-April) GPA of 6.0 must be achieved" ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME. One of the biggest problems students are going to be faced with is all of a sudden doing a lot worse and being far more stressed out than they have ever been academically before. It is essential that the welcome weeks reps represent all types of students from top averages down to those who have had to struggle with every single course. There is learning in struggling. Seriously...remove this requirement. (btw I have a solid average...but I learned a lot from the lessons of those who failed and were willing to talk about why they failed)

2) Program Planner
Either this person is going to want to do it for nothing or they are going to want to be paid like an engineering student. $12/hour is fine for 1st/2nd years for camp like positions but an upper year engineer would be expected to make at least $20/hour...particularly for a position that is both supervisory and going to require a huge network to help them get everything done in time. Your also very late. A lot of students already have coops by now...
SSC is literally inept. Can't wait for a disastrous welcome week.
Old 03-15-2014 at 12:48 PM   #7
mjain

Liked: 0 Times

Welcome Week Reps
How hard is it this time to get a welcome week rep position? Since they need so many people, will they still reject a lot of applications?