MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entrance Scholarships!? amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-10-2010 06:02 PM
Entrance Scholarships MiniDragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-22-2010 09:45 AM
Entrance Scholarships MrSmith Financial Aid 2 06-12-2010 02:14 PM
Entrance Scholarships, When Do They Kick In?! amiceli Financial Aid 1 08-15-2008 06:26 PM
Entrance Scholarships Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-02-2007 08:26 PM

Entrance scholarships & residence issues.

Old 05-19-2011 at 12:37 PM   #1
SajjadZaidi

Liked: 0 Times

Entrance scholarships & residence issues.
Hey guys.

So I got in Mac's Software engineering co-op program. I'm an international student and I'm just finishing up my A levels.

So getting to the point, I got an email from Mac residence about them guaranteeing me a separate/single room if I can keep my average up by June 2nd. And I can... So the thing is, will I get the residence type and building of my choice? If yes, then which building should I go for?

Also since I got this email, I'm assuming my average is +90%. (I don't know how to convert A level grades to Canadian percentages)
So the question is, what kind of entrance scholarship will I get? And is that a one time only sum or is it every semester? I found this: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2.html?t=17092 but it's pretty old and I dunno if it's still in effect or not...

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out here.
thanks.
Old 05-19-2011 at 12:48 PM   #2
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I'm not sure if you'll get your exact choice for sure, but you have a pretty high chance of it. I would go for either Mary Keyes or Bates.

In Keyes you get a single room but its suite style so there are 3 others with you who also have their own single rooms. There are two bathrooms and a common kitchen and living area. There is also air conditioning and a restaurant and convenience store in the lobby. It is one of the newer residences.

Bates is apartment style. You have your own single room but there maybe be 3 or 5 others in your apartment who also have their own single rooms. There are a couple of odd apartments which are 2 person but here you both sleep in the same room and then study together in another room. It has a kitchen and a larger common area. It is older than Keyes but also cheaper (there is no AC).

Both residences have the upside of you having your own space but also give you the chance to socialize. If you want a full out single there is Les Prince, the newest residence. Les Prince has traditional doubles as well as single rooms and singles with bathrooms (and doubles with bathrooms too I believe). The downside is that you have to make sure you get out of your room and socialize with others and it is pretty far from the main part of campus.

In regards to entrance scholarships look here http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/entrance.html

Don't forget, first year engineering is general, you're not in software yet!

Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:02 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You can't choose the building, only the room type. Every residence has a single room but Keyes, Bates and Les Prince have the most single rooms with washrooms (although I'm sure other buildings have a couple singles with washrooms too).
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:02 PM   #4
SajjadZaidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
The downside is that you have to make sure you get out of your room and socialize with others and it is pretty far from the main part of campus.
Yeah, It is pretty far but I've seen the map and taken the virtual tour and it's pretty close to the sports facilities which is a big plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post

Don't forget, first year engineering is general, you're not in software yet!

Good Luck!
Yeah, I know. But I have full clearance to select whatever program I like in my second year so...
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:07 PM   #5
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajjadZaidi View Post
Yeah, I know. But I have full clearance to select whatever program I like in my second year so...
Depending on your first year grades of course.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:11 PM   #6
SajjadZaidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
Depending on your first year grades of course.
Ohhh. I thought when they said 'full clearance', it meant regardless of the first year grades.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:15 PM   #7
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Ohhh. I thought when they said 'full clearance', it meant regardless of the first year grades.
Most definitely not, unless you're going straight into second year software eng, I'm guessing you're not though. As far as I know there's no guaranteed admittance to a specific second year program from first year. You'll still have to apply for software eng. at the end of first year if you're in Engineering 1. There are a limited number of places so no slacking off.

SajjadZaidi says thanks to Patrick.O for this post.

SajjadZaidi likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:15 PM   #8
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Well you need to get at least a 4 on the 12 point scale to stay in eng.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...ent/pg145.html
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:18 PM   #9
SajjadZaidi

Also, thing is, I've read around the Mac website quite a bit and it seems Mac are just giving me an entrance scholarship(one time only sum from what I've read).
And Waterloo are giving me a 1000$ one time entrance scholarship and 20000$(engineering international student scholarship) given out 2500$ per term. This is really important for me and it's extremely helpful.
I had my mind set on going to Mac cause of it's beautiful campus and great sports facilities but If I don't get a scholarship offer from Mac that could even somewhat rival the one from Waterloo, I'll have to go to Waterloo. And I don't like their campus at all. :( Or their sports facilities.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:26 PM   #10
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Also, thing is, I've read around the Mac website quite a bit and it seems Mac are just giving me an entrance scholarship(one time only sum from what I've read).
And Waterloo are giving me a 1000$ one time entrance scholarship and 20000$(engineering international student scholarship) given out 2500$ per term. This is really important for me and it's extremely helpful.
I had my mind set on going to Mac cause of it's beautiful campus and great sports facilities but If I don't get a scholarship offer from Mac that could even somewhat rival the one from Waterloo, I'll have to go to Waterloo. And I don't like their campus at all. :( Or their sports facilities.
International students don't get entrance scholarships. At least from Mac. Been there, done that. I did A-Levels too, got (nearly) straight As (counts as 95%+ average), and NOTHING. So...yeah. Oh, wait, you might get some from privately funded ones, but none from Mac. My brother's in Engineering, he got $2000, so you might perhaps get that, but you won't find out till near the middle of term.

EDIT: About residences...I don't know how they sort it. I mean, I think you're guaranteed a single room with that sort of average, but I don't know much beyond that.

Also, good luck! I know how important scholarships are for Int'l students.

Last edited by Faer : 05-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.

SajjadZaidi says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:27 PM   #11
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Cash money my friend. You should consider what is more important to you. If money is a huge issue for you then go to waterloo.

I believe they have a much better program for you anyways. There is alot of bad things here in hamilton. You are probably dodging a bullet.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:28 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I'm confused.

When you get a letter saying you have guaranteed choice of your program, it does mean regardless of your grades (as long as you get the 4.0 needed to stay in Engineering, of course). Otherwise, why would they send you a letter saying you have free choice of your program? They're not trying to punk you. A lot of people seem to be unaware that the university does this. Three of my housemates had it and barely made the 4.0 cut-off, and two of them are in Civil Engineering now, whereas my housemate with a 5.-something average who didn't have his choice didn't get into that.

The whole point of the "free choice" deal is to entice students with high marks in high school to choose McMaster over, say, Waterloo, where you jump right into it. The downside of the general first year at McMaster is that you could come here for a specific type of Engineering and not actually get into it - a waste of a year, to some. But by having that deal, the university gets students with exceptionally high marks by ensuring them that they will end up in the program they want as long as they meet the basic rule that you need a 4.0 to stay in the faculty altogether.

Did that change in the past couple years?

Last edited by alh24 : 05-19-2011 at 01:33 PM.

SajjadZaidi likes this.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:34 PM   #13
SajjadZaidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Did that change in the past couple years?
I don't think so. Cause I got that email a couple months ago.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:36 PM   #14
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't think so. Cause I got that email a couple months ago.
Yeah, it definitely exists then. I think it excludes Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, if I recall correctly. But I know several people who had it, and they all got into the type they wanted after they finished their general first year.
Old 05-19-2011 at 01:48 PM   #15
alh24
Elite Member

Also, if you're looking into single rooms, I highly recommend Les Prince. It's barely further than Hedden (it's nowhere near as far from everything as everyone seems to think), and you get your own washroom without having apartment/suite-mates. I lived there in first year and loved it - I can't think of any downsides off the top of my head, besides the fact that they shut off the A/C in October and the room was hot some days. But my housemate's younger brother was there this year and said that wasn't a problem this year.

/endadvertisementforLe sPrince

Does Les Prince have traditional singles/doubles? As far as I remember, they all had bathrooms.

SajjadZaidi likes this.