MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HLTH AGE 4M03 /GEOG 4HH3 Environment And Health beebee2 Academics 7 06-09-2014 07:02 PM

Environment And Health -- (enviro Sci 4hh4, Geog 4hh3, Healthst 4m03 )

Old 09-07-2015 at 10:06 PM   #1
mahendv

Liked: 0 Times

Environment And Health -- (enviro Sci 4hh4, Geog 4hh3, Healthst 4m03 )
(enviro Sci 4hh4, Geog 4hh3, Healthst 4m03) - Environment And Health
Has Anyone Taken This Course ? I Would Really Like To Hear An Updated Review For This Course (course Load, Difficulty, Interest Level, Course Outline And Prof )
Please !!!

Thank- You
Old 09-08-2015 at 08:18 AM   #2
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times

I took this class in winter 2014 and enjoyed it. The professor was Dr. Yiannakoulias and I really liked his teaching style. The content was interesting and lectures ended by the end of February/beginning of March. We had our final exam (which was all short answer and worth 30%) early as well, leaving the rest of the semester to focus on our assignment. The assignment was to choose a location anywhere in the world and conduct a human health risk assessment, taking into consideration the environment and any potential threats that might exist in the area (is there a local source of pollution? Has there been a chemical spill in the past that has compromised the soil/water?). You then needed to assess the risk of a certain health outcome (cancer, etc.) in the population, including research that indicates that the environmental features present in the study area have been found to cause or increase the risk of your chosen health outcome. The first part of the project was a proposal outlining your topic, which was due before reading week. I think this was worth 10%. I think the final product was worth another 30%. The assignment was difficult and it was long but it was marked fairly. Dr. Yiannakoulias is very specific with respect to what he wants in the assignment, including what to include in each section and approximately how long each section should be. Some people prefer to have more freedom when they write, however I appreciated these instructions because you know exactly what was expected of you. in addition, there was also group seminar presentations worth 25%. These occurred after lectures were finished for the semester. Instead of three classes a week, there were two dedicated to these presentations. They were interesting and ranged from topics like epigenetics to the safest way to travel (plane vs. train vs. automobile) etc. finally, there was a 5% participation mark. If you missed one seminar you got 4/5 and more than one could be as little as 0/5 depending on how often you contributed to class discussion. I found it was just easier to go to all the classes. If you have any questions, let me know.

mahendv says thanks to shelbs for this post.
Old 09-08-2015 at 08:51 AM   #3
mahendv

Liked: 0 Times

how was the final exam ?
Old 09-09-2015 at 04:19 PM   #4
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times

I was worried about the exam because it was all short answer but it was fair and focused on testing your ability to apply the content, not memorization/regurgitation