MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HLTH AGE 2G03 - Mental Health rant 2nd Year Course Reviews 19 09-30-2014 12:20 AM
HLTH AGE 2G03 - Mental Health LauraV 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 04-28-2014 05:29 PM
Mental Health: Hlth Age 2G03 beebee2 Academics 1 08-26-2013 09:50 PM
Should I take Geog 1HB3, Geog 1 HA3, or Health Age 1BB3 gabbynelly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-30-2012 09:32 PM

HLTH AGE 4M03 /GEOG 4HH3 Environment And Health

Old 06-07-2014 at 09:25 PM   #1
beebee2

Liked: 4 Times

HLTH AGE 4M03 /GEOG 4HH3 Environment And Health
Hi everyone. I'm in my third year and am considering taking this course next year. If anyone has taken this course before, please share your thoughts, I would love to hear what you have to say! (ie. workload, difficulty, favourite/least favourite part etc.). Don't mind if it's not a bird course, as long as it's possible to do well with effort.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2014 at 12:27 AM   #2
nerdingout

Liked: 0 Times

Hi!! I know this has nothing to to with your question but how did you think about the Health Age first year course? Was it a bird course?
Old 06-08-2014 at 12:42 PM   #3
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebee2 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm in my third year and am considering taking this course next year. If anyone has taken this course before, please share your thoughts, I would love to hear what you have to say! (ie. workload, difficulty, favourite/least favourite part etc.). Don't mind if it's not a bird course, as long as it's possible to do well with effort.

Thanks!
Hey,
I took this course as a geography student and I found it pretty interesting! This review is based on taking the course with Niko Yiannakoulias (I don't know if they switched profs this year or not)... sorry this is so long haha! This was the course outline from this year, its pretty straightforward: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo...se_Outline.pdf
The first half the course is lectures, then the second half is seminar presentations. In lectures you learn about study designs, assessing risk, HEO model, etc etc. Then you have a midterm (which is essentially the exam for the course) which was around 8 application questions, 50 minutes. It seemed really difficult when I wrote it, but I ended up doing really well. Then you just watch presentations/do your presentation for the rest of the course, which is nice because you don't have to worry about knowing more information for an exam.
Assessments are: 10% HHRA proposal, 25% presentation, 5% participation, 30% midterm, and 30% HHRA report.
The Human Health Risk Assessment is where you have to assess a certain place (neighbourhood, city, etc) and figure out what the risk is of something happening there (risk of TB occurring, risk of lung cancer, etc etc). The proposal is 10%, you're basically stating what you want to do and Niko gives good feedback on whats good/where to improve. The report is 30%, but he outlines exactly what he wants from you (see the course outline), and it's pretty interesting to do since you can choose a topic you're actually interested in.
The presentation is 25%, groups of 3 people, and Niko gives a list of topics and everyone gives in their top choices, then you basically give a 20 min informational presentation on your topic/hold a discussion (my topic was active transportation, there were topics on travel and disease, history of disease, social aspects of health, medical geology, etc). You also need to go watch all presentations/contribute to discussion, because 5% of the mark is from participation.
Going into the course I thought it was going to be really hard, but if you put in effort you can do really well. I was kind of surprised by the math type stuff in the course (quantifying risk and stuff) but it wasn't terrible. It seems like a LOT of work, but in the end it wasnt that much, especially since the presentation was in a group. Niko is really helpful in guiding you in the right direction if you're confused on what to do for your presentation or what to write about for your HHRA. I definitely recommend the course if you're interested in health/geography!

beebee2 says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.

beebee2 likes this.
Old 06-08-2014 at 02:41 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdingout View Post
Hi!! I know this has nothing to to with your question but how did you think about the Health Age first year course? Was it a bird course?
Course reviews can be found here:
Hth Age 1AA3 (previously known as Health Studies 1A03):
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=H&t=92 531
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=H&t=18 300

Hth Age 1BB3 (previously Gerontology 1A03):
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=G&t=20 334
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=H&t=37 027
Old 06-08-2014 at 08:35 PM   #5
beebee2

Thank you so much Kirsten! I appreciate the detailed review (amazing)!

I'm trying to obtain a waiver this course because I'm really interested in this course, but do you think I'll be disadvantaged as I have not taken the prerequisites? ie. GEOG 3HH3 (not offered this year) or GEOG 2HI3 OR GEOG 1HA3/1HB3
Old 06-09-2014 at 09:54 AM   #6
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

I found the course really interesting when I took it two years ago. I'd say an 11 or a 12 in this course is very doable as long as you show up, participate and put in the work into your paper and presentation.

Here's the course outline: http://www.healthagingandsoc iety.m...inter-2013.pdf

Quote:

Thanks!

beebee2 says thanks to albalks for this post.

beebee2 likes this.
Old 06-09-2014 at 03:08 PM   #7
beebee2

Awesome, thanks so much Sofia!
Old 06-09-2014 at 07:02 PM   #8
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Thank you so much Kirsten! I appreciate the detailed review (amazing)!

I'm trying to obtain a waiver this course because I'm really interested in this course, but do you think I'll be disadvantaged as I have not taken the prerequisites? ie. GEOG 3HH3 (not offered this year) or GEOG 2HI3 OR GEOG 1HA3/1HB3
im not sure... if you haven't taken ANY of the geo prerequisites then id think it might be more difficult, but theres still a chance since its crosslisted with health age?? i checked the calendar for 2014/15 and it looks like the prereqs might have changed (you need One of EARTH SC 2EI3, ENVIR SC 2EI3, GEOG 2EI3, 2HI3; and registration in Level IV or above. GEOG 3HH3 is strongly recommended.)
I think there's a sessional prof this year too so the course may be changing a bit??