MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Health Sci 2G03/Health Sci 3I03 deone Academics 5 06-30-2010 04:38 PM
Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health) PBurge Academics 6 06-16-2010 04:01 PM
Mental Health 101: October 28 2009 b_sunshine55 MacInsiders Announcements 6 10-25-2009 04:00 PM
QPR: First Aid for Mental Health Adam O MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-26-2008 12:56 PM

HLTH AGE 2G03 - Mental Health

Published by rant
09-11-2010
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 93%

I took this mental health course with Mathew Savelli in the summer of 2010. As he is a sessional prof, I cannot attest to the nature/quality of the course during the Fall/Winter terms, when it is run by the tenured prof.

If you have the ability to take this course during the summer, I would strongly advise and urge you to do so. Mat Savelli is a prof not to be missed -- he has my vote for the best lecturer at Mac.

Although this course is labeled as a mental health course, remember that its focus is sociological, not medical. Although the first half of the course revolves around the biomedical understanding of mental disorders via the criterion laid out in the DSM, the intent of this course is not diagnostic or physiologic.

This course literally changed my life. It changed the way I view mental health/illness, the way I view Western medicine, and the way I view society and its role in the construction of mental health. It disturbed me, intrigued me, and left me with a zillion questions to hopefully pursue in graduate school.

In terms of structure, the course follows this pattern:

Midterm: 20%
Paper: 30%
Participation assignment: 10%
Final exam (cumulative): 40%

The first few lectures revolve around the history of psychiatry in North America and Europe. Here, the foundation is laid for understanding how psychiatry emerged as a field, and the challenges/dissent it faced. In the first half of the term, the focus is on the Western understanding of mental disorders, as laid out in the DSM. All of the major categories are discussed (mood disorders, personality disorders, psychotic disorders, etc), and the history and contextual factors of each category are elucidated. The overarching focus is primarily on understanding the social construction of mental health and illness -- learning how Western society determines who/what is mentally ill, and how that translates into the lived experience of the mentally ill population.

The last half of the course focuses on critical analysis of the mental health field. This is really where the course comes alive -- cultural variances of mental disorders are discussed, the impact of the pharmaceutical companies on the DSM and clinical practice are analyzed, and the revelations of the anti-psychiatry movement are used to showcase how subjective and vulnerable psychiatry is.

For me, this was one of those breakthrough courses, where the impact of university education and its philosophical tenets really became apparent. It was in this course that I really began to get an idea of how humanity creates its social environment, and how that creative process can significantly and severely impact whole populations of individuals (read: the mentally ill).

In terms of demographics/structure, I would rate the course in the following manner:

- The prof was highly enthusiastic, approachable, and down to earth. He is very dedicated to the field of mental health, and this shows in his lectures. 10/10 for lecturing style, content, and ability to answer questions. Very accessible by e-mail, and constantly available for one-on-one sessions on campus.

- The content was extremely interesting. If psychiatry/social constructionist theories grab you in any way, you will love the material. 10/10.

- In terms of difficulty, the testing was rather straight forward. Pay attention to the lecture slides, and you will do fine. This prof favoured short answer and essay questions on the exams. The final exam requires that you pay close attention to the major themes of the course. The paper can be a little tricky, so please, please give yourself enough time to complete it. 7.5/10.

In summary, this course was fantastic. If you are good at writing papers/essays, and think you might enjoy exploring the field of psychiatry and social constructionism, this is the course for you.

.:callen:., jamescw1234 like this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for HLTH AGE 2G03 - Mental Health!

Old 10-23-2010 at 10:58 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times
I took this course with Savelli in the summer of 09, he is probably the best prof I've ever had at mac. Anyone in the field of social sciences should take this course as an elective, it will give you a very broad understanding of mental health and the complexity surrounding it. I'm currently taking a social work mental health course, and it does not compare in the slightest to this one.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 10-27-2010 at 07:05 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Thanks for the awesome review!
Old 12-24-2010 at 08:14 AM   #4
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Has anyone taken this course with Professor J. Ramsay? She is teaching it in 2nd semester and I'd like to know more about her teaching style and if students have the same response to her as the above comments. Thanks!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 12-26-2010 at 10:36 PM   #5
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times
does it say she's teaching it on the timetable? cuz i looked and it's still empty
im wondering if i should keep it or drop it S:
Old 06-02-2011 at 07:57 PM   #6
swissformula

Liked: 0 Times
It says M. Savelli is teaching it on the Health, Aging & Society website
Old 06-06-2011 at 05:24 PM   #7
elaina1113

so is it better to take it during the summer or during the year? is the course load as much as say a biology course?
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:57 PM   #8
sjr22291

Ramsay is a male I took the course with him second semester of the 2010-2011 year. I found the course turned more into an abnormal psych course. The course break down was 10% for 4 tutorials which had no content but for attendance which was kind of annoying, 20% midterm all M/C, 35% paper on a mental disorder of your choice and 35% final which was all M/C too- I believe it was 80 questions. He wasn't my favorite prof- he seemed a little scattered, showed up late a few times, was unable to log into the computers and often got off topic with comedy bits. However, he wasn't my worse prof and that was his first time teaching the course
Old 09-09-2011 at 04:41 PM   #9
luna

Liked: 10 Times
I'm thinking of taking the course in this fall term and Dr. Savelli is teaching it. Does anyone know how this prof is? Also, is attendance the only thing that counts towards tutorial participation or do we do presentations and assignments? And for the essay is it simply writting a research paper on a mental disorder? thanx
Old 03-27-2012 at 12:10 PM   #10
CassLiviero

essay- HlTH AGE 2G03- mental Heath
Hello
How is the essay for the course listed in the tille? In what light do we talk about mental Heath disorders research personal both? What asepcts are we asked to write aboutHow long is it? Do we use the text for it or do we have to use peer review will prof give you feedback before you hand things in Who is the prof? How is he ? I'm taking it this summer term 2
Is the content understandable? Does this prof go over readings? Are the midtrems essay and final evenly spaced?
Does this prof post exam outlines? Will he be understanding of disability needs?
I plan to go into social work this fall will the course be helpful ?
Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012 at 04:45 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Can anyone who took the course this year please shed some light on the essay component and what it covers?
Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012 at 11:21 AM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassLiviero View Post
Hello
How is the essay for the course listed in the tille? In what light do we talk about mental Heath disorders research personal both? What asepcts are we asked to write aboutHow long is it? Do we use the text for it or do we have to use peer review will prof give you feedback before you hand things in Who is the prof? How is he ? I'm taking it this summer term 2
Is the content understandable? Does this prof go over readings? Are the midtrems essay and final evenly spaced?
Does this prof post exam outlines? Will he be understanding of disability needs?
I plan to go into social work this fall will the course be helpful ?
Thank you!
For basic info such as who the prof is, the master timetable is helpful. https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =2G03&t=2&d=E

I've never heard of this prof teaching it before. Often courses have different profs and/or requirements in the summer. This goes for the spacing as well--it's a summer term, everything is more compressed by necessity. Most of your questions probably can't be answered, although I'm not sure what you mean by a few of them--for example, what constitutes an "exam outline" or "understandable content"...these are pretty subjective.
Also, profs don't really have much of a choice in terms of accommodating disabilities. So whether or not he's understanding isn't all that important--most profs understand that they can get human rights complaints filed against them if they don't make every reasonable effort to accommodate.
Old 05-25-2012 at 05:51 PM   #13
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times
Has anyone ever had Professor Nouvet for this course?
Old 12-13-2012 at 09:15 AM   #14
sharonj

is this course supposed to be a bird course? and does anyone know about Dr. Rhona Shaw?
Old 01-09-2013 at 08:24 PM   #15
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonj View Post
is this course supposed to be a bird course? and does anyone know about Dr. Rhona Shaw?

I'd like to know this as well

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search