MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health) PBurge Academics 6 06-16-2010 04:01 PM
Apply to be on COPE: A Student Mental Health Initiative's Exec 2009-2010 Annie Clubs & Groups 0 02-16-2009 02:04 PM
QPR: First Aid for Mental Health Adam O MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-26-2008 12:56 PM

Mental Health 101: October 28 2009

Mental Health 101: October 28 2009

What is mental health and mental illness? How common is mental illness in Canada? What are some ‘Dos’ and ‘Don’ts’ of interacting with a person with a mental illness in everyday life?

These are just some of the questions that are answered in the new workshop “Mental Health 101” developed through Student Affairs by the Centre for Student Development. During this interactive workshop, participants will be lead through topics of current mental health statistics, types of mental illnesses, and how to approach mental illness in their daily life.

Mental Health 101 will be running on October 28th 10:30-12:30. To sign-up for this workshop, please e-mail [email protected] with your full name , space is limited. Mental Health 101 will run monthly throughout the school year, please feel free to sign up for a workshop that suits your schedule.

About the workshop:

As discussed in the workshop, one in five Canadians (approximately 6 million) will develop a mental illness at some point in their lives (Canadian Mental Health Association). The main goals of this workshop are awareness, education and application. By discussing various relevant topics of mental health, participants will learn about different mental illnesses, tools and strategies useful for interacting with individuals who may have a mental illness, and will have an opportunity to practice using them in a variety of everyday settings.

With media influences often painting a negative picture of mental illness, many individuals may have an unpleasant, extreme and often inaccurate perception of people with mental illness. Mental illness is present where you least expect it, both on and off-campus, and part of this workshop challenges the average perception of mental illness and discusses the power of stigma.

Helping and understanding people who have a mental illness is not limited to any one group, and just because the average person may not be a trained professional who can treat and diagnose individuals with mental illness, does not make their role any less important. By gaining this understanding of mental illness, participants will learn the best ways to interact with individuals who may have a mental illness, as well as be able to properly refer them for further help if necessary.

Whether it is a fellow classmate, coworker, family member or friend, someone in almost everyone’s life will have a mental illness. Gaining information about mental health has become essential, and can provide a better understanding for those around us as well as for ourselves.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-25-2009 at 12:41 PM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
I was really offended by reading that piece. That article maintains the negative stigma around mental illness.

"...Participants will learn about different mental illnesses, tools and strategies useful for interacting with individuals who may have a mental illness."

Having a mental illness doesn't make it much more difficult to interact with others. Most of the time you aren't even able to recognize that a person has an illness. Honestly whoever wrote that has no respect for those with mental illnesses because the whole thing makes them seem so small.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-25-2009 at 01:25 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
"strategies to cope with any personal mental health concerns as well as those affecting loved ones to prevent mental illness from negatively impacting one's life" may be a better choice of words.

Maybe. I'm not sure.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-25-2009 at 01:34 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics
Year: Alumni

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
I was really offended by reading that piece. That article maintains the negative stigma around mental illness.

"...Participants will learn about different mental illnesses, tools and strategies useful for interacting with individuals who may have a mental illness."
When I read that part, I took it more like "You'll learn about tools to be sensitive to the needs of people who may suffer from mental illness."

In other words, I didn't take that to mean they're 'lesser beings' or anything, but if someone say, suffers from clinical depression, then you need to be sensitive to that fact, and try not to exacerbate the condition.

(Speaking of depression, does anyone know if Mac has any kind of formal support group? Like maybe a group that meets every week or two, where victims of depression can share inspirational stories, etc.)

Gabriella*, Taunton like this.

Old 10-25-2009 at 01:45 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
When I read that part, I took it more like "You'll learn about tools to be sensitive to the needs of people who may suffer from mental illness."

In other words, I didn't take that to mean they're 'lesser beings' or anything, but if someone say, suffers from clinical depression, then you need to be sensitive to that fact, and try not to exacerbate the condition.

(Speaking of depression, does anyone know if Mac has any kind of formal support group? Like maybe a group that meets every week or two, where victims of depression can share inspirational stories, etc.)
Yes I think they've posted an announcement that should be approved shortly

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-25-2009 at 02:12 PM   #6
kimrose
Program: Health Sciences
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post

Having a mental illness doesn't make it much more difficult to interact with others. Most of the time you aren't even able to recognize that a person has an illness. Honestly whoever wrote that has no respect for those with mental illnesses because the whole thing makes them seem so small.
I know that the article came across in an offensive way, but I don't think the author intended for that to happen. I have a friend with a (severe at times) mental illness and I'll be the first one to admit that at certain times, I do need to change the way I act and speak to them. I think maybe that's what the author intended to get at??

b_sunshine55, Taunton all say thanks to kimrose for this post.
Old 10-25-2009 at 04:00 PM   #7
b_sunshine55
Program: Life Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1 Time
Hello,

As author of this article, co-creator of this workshop and as someone who has personal experiences with mental illness, I would like to clarify any misunderstanding there may be regarding the intentions of this workshop. This workshop, which is run by counsellors from the Centre for Student Development, is intended to educate everyone within the McMaster community about mental health. As well, the education regarding how to best interact with someone with a mental illness is not to say that a person with a mental illness is at a disadvantage or is less equal of a person, this is just intended to raise awareness regarding sensitivities that can be beneficial to any individual with a mental illness. For example, we will discuss "Dos and Donts" of interacting with someone who may be expereincing a panic attack - this in no way puts judgement on the individual with the panic attack, but informs others about the situation.

I hope that everyone who reads this article will look past the previous posts, and can focus on the benefits of this workshop for the McMaster community. I am sure we can all agree that this is an important workshop that everyone should take advantage of to gain a better understanding of mental health.

To register for this workshop, please contact [email protected] with your full name, space is limited, register today!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search