MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HLTH AGE 2G03 - Mental Health rant 2nd Year Course Reviews 19 09-30-2014 12:20 AM
Health Studies/Health Age Courses **jewel 03** Academics 0 06-05-2010 06:15 PM
health studies 2d03 maryam17 Academics 1 12-25-2009 06:13 PM
QPR: First Aid for Mental Health Adam O MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-26-2008 12:56 PM

Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health)

Old 06-11-2010 at 06:02 PM   #1
PBurge

Liked: 0 Times

Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health)
Hey everyone
I've just recently signed up to take this course (Health Studies 2D03) in summer school. I was just wondering if anyone who has taken the course could share their opinion on it or tell me what its all about (ie, readings, essays, test procedures)
Thanks
Old 06-11-2010 at 06:37 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I'm not sure who the prof is during the summer, but we had Darlene Kindiak in term 2 of last year. There were two midterms, each worth 25%, tutorial participation marks worth 20% (and these were pretty easy marks to get, if you participate in tutorial discussions), and an exam worth 30%.

This course doesn't require a lot of work, which is good The first midterm was very easy, but the second one picked on lots of random details (like, we learned about 3 guys named Thomas and we had to match each one to the title of the book that they wrote, instead of having to know what each person contributed to the field). The exam was a mix of incredibly easy (ex, "What does GLBT stand for?") and some more challenging questions.

It was the prof's first time teaching, so we had a lot of the issues that come with that, and the lectures could be a bit on the boring side, depending on the topic, but she did try to make them interesting by adding videos.

There are readings, but they follow the lectures very closely. Some took longer than others to complete, and they're from a variety of sources. I don't recall her testing information only mentioned in the readings, but there might have been a couple of questions that I just don't remember right now.
Old 06-11-2010 at 06:41 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

There are no tutorials during the summer term. I Googled course outlines previously but I doubt they would be adhered to as strictly.
Only 2 more weeks to find out. (Y)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-11-2010 at 07:35 PM   #4
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

I took this class last summer with Mat Savelli who is a ph.d student from Oxford who grew up in Hamilton and did his undergrad here. He said he was hoping to come back and teach it the following summer so hopefully you'll have him. He is an AWESOME prof and the course is fantastic. Really interesting material and not too challenging. We had a midterm, an essay, and a final all of which were really reasonable.

You'll enjoy it, you made a good pick.
Old 06-11-2010 at 09:18 PM   #5
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
I took this class last summer with Mat Savelli who is a ph.d student from Oxford who grew up in Hamilton and did his undergrad here. He said he was hoping to come back and teach it the following summer so hopefully you'll have him. He is an AWESOME prof and the course is fantastic. Really interesting material and not too challenging. We had a midterm, an essay, and a final all of which were really reasonable.

You'll enjoy it, you made a good pick.
This. I took it with him last summer as well, and I can honestly say that he was the best prof I have ever had.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 06-16-2010 at 03:30 PM   #6
sharkpups

Liked: 0 Times

That's really really good to hear. I was kind of concerned because I know that the interest-rating of the course depends on the prof. What were the tests like?

A friend of mine who took it with a different prof said that the tests were more lecture based than anything.
Old 06-16-2010 at 04:01 PM   #7
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Definitely lecture based. However I remember a few questions from the readings being thrown in so definitely don't skip out on them. The readings are really interesting and helpful though, especially the text. It has case studies and goes into more in depth information on the disorders in a really easy to to read way. Great read if you're interested in the subject.

The first part of the course is very history based. Mat's research is focused on history of mental health so this is his specialty. So be prepared to memorize names and all that fun stuff. I actually found this part to be my favourite out of the whole course. I had no idea how interesting mental health history is.

I remember the tests being fairly easy. There was a multiple choice section and some short/long answers. Standard social science test structure. Always a joke question too... usually about Tom Cruise who he hates with a passion Oh I remember doing a small assignment in addition to the essay, midterm, and final. We had to write a short paper after watching a series of youtube videos on this patient doing psychotherapy with various psychiatrists with different methods of treatment. Really interesting.

Anyway don't worry about it at all. You'll do well if you put in a reasonable amount of effort. It's not a really challenging course at all, it's really really interesting, and the prof is just the best. I wish I could take it again Wow I went into way more depth than usual... I just loved this class so much!

The outline is probably up on the Heath Aging and Society website by now so check that out.

rant says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.