MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geog 1HB3 AnguishedEnd 1st Year Course Reviews 33 09-23-2013 12:31 PM
geog 1HB3 yum24 General Discussion 1 09-13-2011 08:13 PM
Geog 1hb3 sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-12-2009 09:10 PM

Should I take Geog 1HB3, Geog 1 HA3, or Health Age 1BB3

Old 06-26-2012 at 03:03 PM   #1
gabbynelly

Liked: 1 Time

Should I take Geog 1HB3, Geog 1 HA3, or Health Age 1BB3
Have to take one as a required course, and those are the only ones available that'll fit my schedule.

Which one is the easiest?
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:11 PM   #2
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

You don't exactly know if things are going to "fit your schedule". They randomly assign you a schedule. There are far more options than these classes for Commerce Level I.

That being said it goes off interest. I know plenty of people that hated the first year geographies and plenty of people that loved them. A class you are interested in is a class you will spend more time focusing on, attending, studying for & thinking about. I made the mistake of searching for the "easiest" class in first year as well. Nothing in University is "easy".

Also if you are interested in pursuing either of those subjects in later years these courses work as prerequisites. So plan accordingly.

Anthropology 1AB3 looks delicious if its still open. Wish I had that in first year.

gabbynelly says thanks to Phaint0m for this post.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:15 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbynelly View Post
Have to take one as a required course, and those are the only ones available that'll fit my schedule.

Which one is the easiest?
I'm not sure how hard my friend tried in Geog 1HA3 but his mark was really bad compared to what I expected from him. I took Geog 1HB3 which for the most part was genuinely interesting for me. The midterm was hard for me and so was the final exam. The labs were really easy but you have to make sure for the last assignment/project you find a good group as it is an individual + group mark (more emphasis is on the group mark). There was also a 3% bonus if you attended all of the labs which helped a lot and one other opportunity during the term for an extra 0.5% or 1% if you wrote a review for some article I think. All in all, I enjoyed Geog 1HB3 with Prof. Mercier and would recommend other people to take it if they find the course description interesting.

gabbynelly says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:24 PM   #4
gabbynelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint0m View Post
You don't exactly know if things are going to "fit your schedule". They randomly assign you a schedule. There are far more options than these classes for Commerce Level I.

That being said it goes off interest. I know plenty of people that hated the first year geographies and plenty of people that loved them. A class you are interested in is a class you will spend more time focusing on, attending, studying for & thinking about. I made the mistake of searching for the "easiest" class in first year as well. Nothing in University is "easy".

Also if you are interested in pursuing either of those subjects in later years these courses work as prerequisites. So plan accordingly.

Anthropology 1AB3 looks delicious if its still open. Wish I had that in first year.
I would take anthropology second semester but it is an evening course and I read that evening courses are bad :(. And my first semester is filled already with courses I want.

I read about the geography courses and they SOUND really interesting (especially 1HB3), but I haven't taken geography since grade nine so I feel like I might screw myself if I take that.

And Health age society sounds so boring... don't like multiple choice that much either and read most evaluations are all multiple choice.

So if anyone can tell me something based on this that would be great.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:26 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^get used to mc brotha

gabbynelly says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:28 PM   #6
gabbynelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I'm not sure how hard my friend tried in Geog 1HA3 but his mark was really bad compared to what I expected from him. I took Geog 1HB3 which for the most part was genuinely interesting for me. The midterm was hard for me and so was the final exam. The labs were really easy but you have to make sure for the last assignment/project you find a good group as it is an individual + group mark (more emphasis is on the group mark). There was also a 3% bonus if you attended all of the labs which helped a lot and one other opportunity during the term for an extra 0.5% or 1% if you wrote a review for some article I think. All in all, I enjoyed Geog 1HB3 with Prof. Mercier and would recommend other people to take it if they find the course description interesting.
Is past geography knowledge needed for this course? Because I haven't taken Geography since grade 9.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:30 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Is past geography knowledge needed for this course? Because I haven't taken Geography since grade 9.
I didn't take a Geography course after Grade 9 as well. In that course, no previous knowledge is assumed. They even go back to the basics of Grade 9 and teach you what a map is and how to use longitude and latitude on a map to pinpoint locations.

Old 06-26-2012 at 03:33 PM   #8
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
I read about the geography courses and they SOUND really interesting (especially 1HB3), but I haven't taken geography since grade nine so I feel like I might screw myself if I take that.
Quote:
they assume that you have no previous knowledge in geography since basically everyone hasnt taken it since gr 9 (unless highschools had gr 12 geo), so the profs dont expect you to know much, its an introductory course so dont worry!

gabbynelly says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:38 PM   #9
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Commerce is literally all multiple choice. Its something you should embrace. I now enjoy all MC classes and I excel in them as Commerce has molded me well for it.

Old 06-26-2012 at 03:44 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Commerce is literally all multiple choice. Its something you should embrace. I now enjoy all MC classes and I excel in them as Commerce has molded me well for it.
With time Phaint0m. I disliked MC only tests/exams, but over the year I've gotten used to them and gotten better at time. I'm sure the OP and most if not all incoming first year students will adjust over time as well.

Old 06-26-2012 at 03:44 PM   #11
gabbynelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I didn't take a Geography course after Grade 9 as well. In that course, no previous knowledge is assumed. They even go back to the basics of Grade 9 and teach you what a map is and how to use longitude and latitude on a map to pinpoint locations.
Oh right longitude and latitude.... lol I remember some stuff from past years but geography is big blur.

Hmmmmm I think I might go for Geo 1hb3, but will think some more because i notice health age is full second semester for day time and just in case... I'll think some more.

@kristen
Yeah they do have geography for grade 11 and 12 but no grade 10, psh but no one takes them.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:48 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Oh right longitude and latitude.... lol I remember some stuff from past years but geography is big blur.

Hmmmmm I think I might go for Geo 1hb3, but will think some more because i notice health age is full second semester for day time and just in case... I'll think some more.

@kristen
Yeah they do have geography for grade 11 and 12 but no grade 10, psh but no one takes them.
Last year there were two profs as far as I'm aware who were teaching Geog 1HA3/1HB3. When Mercier taught 1HB3 in first term, Peace taught 1HA3 and vice versa in second term. Make sure you pick Mercier because I've had a good course with him and so have several other people. I'm sure the same goes for Peace though as I haven't heard too many complaints for either or. If the course is full and you decided you really want to take it, send Mercier an e-mail explaining your situation and he will most probably let you in. He gave me special permission to get into Geog 1HA3 but due to some other reasons I decided not to enroll into it.

Old 06-26-2012 at 03:50 PM   #13
gabbynelly

Quote:
I just think the multiple choice in university will be like my grade 12 business management class where my teacher made the whole course multiple choice.... EVERY SINGLE TEST AND THE EXAM. It was worded so weirdly that it was like guess and get it right... I hope university isn't like that, because that was hell. I'm trying to avoid this as you can tell.
Old 06-26-2012 at 03:51 PM   #14
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Quote:
I just think the multiple choice in university will be like my grade 12 business management class where my teacher made the whole course multiple choice.... EVERY SINGLE TEST AND THE EXAM. It was worded so weirdly that it was like guess and get it right... I hope university isn't like that, because that was hell. I'm trying to avoid this as you can tell.
Unavoidable. Almost every Commerce class is completely MC. The ones that are not completely MC still have a very large portion of MC integrated into it. The earlier you master it the better. Some profs are extremely fair with their MC, some obvious and a few will **** with your head like you've never experienced before (Giri )

Old 06-26-2012 at 03:52 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Out of the 10 courses I've taken, only I think 3 had some parts an assessment to be fill in the blank, draw a diagram or a short answer question. Most of the MC questions were fair for the most part but were tricky so you have to pay close attention to the wording, numbers and information in general which is given to you in the question.