MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geog 1HB3 AnguishedEnd 1st Year Course Reviews 33 09-23-2013 12:31 PM
Notes for ENVIR SC 1G03 & GEOG 1HB3 civil General Discussion 3 09-15-2009 06:25 PM

Geog 1hb3

Old 07-11-2009 at 10:16 AM   #1
sparks

Liked: 0 Times

Geog 1hb3
okay so one of my electives is GEOG 1HB3 because at the START session, the lady helping me said that i should take it. i have NO idea what it is... plus why there is a lab... can anyone help me out? should i keep it?
Old 07-11-2009 at 10:29 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It's an elective? If you have no idea what it is, and are not really interested in it, then you might not want to take it lol.

This is the course description:

"Human Geographies: City and Economy - Basic principles in spatial analysis and location theory applied to the changing urban, economic and environmental patterns of development and urbanization at the local, national and international scale."

If you're interested, I'd say go for it. Why did the woman suggest it, do you know?
Old 07-11-2009 at 12:12 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
okay so one of my electives is GEOG 1HB3 because at the START session, the lady helping me said that i should take it. i have NO idea what it is... plus why there is a lab... can anyone help me out? should i keep it?
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~ge...hb3/index.html

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~ge...se_Outline.pdf

That should tell you a lot about the course.
Old 07-12-2009 at 02:58 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I took this course as one of my engineering electives in the Fall 2008 term and I found it to be pretty interesting. I also had Dr. Mercier as my prof who was very good at lecturing. His style was to post all lecture notes on WebCT the day before so you can print it out and bring it to lecture and while he is going through the powerpoint slides you fill in a few of the blanks on the lecture notes. So you really need to go to lectures to find out the important stuff.

The material itself was quite interesting and very easy to understand since it was an introductory geography course. Sometimes the materials was just common sense. Some of the topics included: Globalization, Development, Wealth and poverty concentration, locational decision-making of manufacturers, population pressures, similarities and difference in cities, the global 'food crisis', and the 'Wal-Mart' effect.

Although the textbook was required in the course I rarely used it since I found that the lecture notes and attending lectures (he would put questions on the midterm/exam that only students who attended lectures would get) were all that were needed for the midterm/exam. He would also give an outline of what important topics (definitions, diagrams etc.) to study for the midterm/exam a week before the actual test.

The lab section of the course was were assignments were given out and sometimes the TA would do a review of some of the material to know before the exam. There were a total of 5-6 assignments. The assignements start of very easy from writing a short paragraph on an article, learning to read a map and using the library catalogue (http://library.mcmaster.ca/) to find specific books, and working with a group of 4-5 and going around Hamilton to specific locations (Jackson Square, University Plaza, Limeridge Mall etc.) to create a simple map of the location, write some field notes and then do a 10-12 page report on them. The group work was probably the hardest part of this entire course since it takes a while to go around on bus or car to each location and spend ~30-60 mins. there then go to the next one. All of these assignments are in your custom courseware that you buy at Titles and guides you through each assignment so its pretty straightforward.

Overall this was a pretty neat, and fairly easy introductory Geography course even through I dont really like Geography lol. Hope that helps. Good luck!

sparks says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 07-12-2009 at 03:59 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I took this course as one of my engineering electives in the Fall 2008 term and I found it to be pretty interesting. I also had Dr. Mercier as my prof who was very good at lecturing. His style was to post all lecture notes on WebCT the day before so you can print it out and bring it to lecture and while he is going through the powerpoint slides you fill in a few of the blanks on the lecture notes. So you really need to go to lectures to find out the important stuff.

The material itself was quite interesting and very easy to understand since it was an introductory geography course. Sometimes the materials was just common sense. Some of the topics included: Globalization, Development, Wealth and poverty concentration, locational decision-making of manufacturers, population pressures, similarities and difference in cities, the global 'food crisis', and the 'Wal-Mart' effect.

Although the textbook was required in the course I rarely used it since I found that the lecture notes and attending lectures (he would put questions on the midterm/exam that only students who attended lectures would get) were all that were needed for the midterm/exam. He would also give an outline of what important topics (definitions, diagrams etc.) to study for the midterm/exam a week before the actual test.

The lab section of the course was were assignments were given out and sometimes the TA would do a review of some of the material to know before the exam. There were a total of 5-6 assignments. The assignements start of very easy from writing a short paragraph on an article, learning to read a map and using the library catalogue (http://library.mcmaster.ca/) to find specific books, and working with a group of 4-5 and going around Hamilton to specific locations (Jackson Square, University Plaza, Limeridge Mall etc.) to create a simple map of the location, write some field notes and then do a 10-12 page report on them. The group work was probably the hardest part of this entire course since it takes a while to go around on bus or car to each location and spend ~30-60 mins. there then go to the next one. All of these assignments are in your custom courseware that you buy at Titles and guides you through each assignment so its pretty straightforward.

Overall this was a pretty neat, and fairly easy introductory Geography course even through I dont really like Geography lol. Hope that helps. Good luck!
You should post that as a course review

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-12-2009 at 04:13 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
You should post that as a course review
Done. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:10 PM   #7
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

Thanks alot Bender for the info! It was really helpful, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep this as my elective But I'm gonna stick to it now coz it sounds quite interesting