MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Notes for ENVIR SC 1G03 & GEOG 1HB3 civil General Discussion 3 09-15-2009 06:25 PM
Geog 1hb3 sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-12-2009 09:10 PM

Geog 1HB3

Geog 1HB3
Human Geography: City & Economy
Published by AnguishedEnd
07-12-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 78%
Geog 1HB3

I took this course as one of my engineering electives in the Fall 2008 term and I found it to be pretty interesting. I also had Dr. Mercier as my prof who was very good at lecturing. His style was to post all lecture notes on WebCT the day before so you can print it out and bring it to lecture and while he is going through the powerpoint slides you fill in a few of the blanks on the lecture notes. So you really need to go to lectures to find out the important stuff.

The material itself was quite interesting and very easy to understand since it was an introductory geography course. Sometimes the materials was just common sense. Some of the topics included: Globalization, Development, Wealth and poverty concentration, locational decision-making of manufacturers, population pressures, similarities and difference in cities, the global 'food crisis', and the 'Wal-Mart' effect.

Although the textbook was required in the course I rarely used it since I found that the lecture notes and attending lectures (he would put questions on the midterm/exam that only students who attended lectures would get) were all that were needed for the midterm/exam. He would also give an outline of what important topics (definitions, diagrams etc.) to study for the midterm/exam a week before the actual test.

The lab section of the course was were assignments were given out and sometimes the TA would do a review of some of the material to know before the exam. There were a total of 5-6 assignments. The assignements start of very easy from writing a short paragraph on an article, learning to read a map and using the library catalogue (http://library.mcmaster.ca/) to find specific books, and working with a group of 4-5 and going around Hamilton to specific locations (Jackson Square, University Plaza, Limeridge Mall etc.) to create a simple map of the location, write some field notes and then do a 10-12 page report on them. The group work was probably the hardest part of this entire course since it takes a while to go around on bus or car to each location and spend ~30-60 mins. there then go to the next one. All of these assignments are in your custom courseware that you buy at Titles and guides you through each assignment so its pretty straightforward.

Overall this was a pretty neat, and fairly easy introductory Geography course even through I dont really like Geography lol. Hope that helps. Good luck!

_Luu_ says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Geog 1HB3!

Old 07-12-2009 at 09:22 PM   #2
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times
In your opinion, is it easy to get a double digit mark in this course?
Also, what exactly do we have to write a report on? I mean what do we have to explain in our report?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2009 at 11:51 PM   #3
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
I was wondering, how heavy of a workload is this course, I'm in first year life science and taking this as an elective. As well, can you post a mark breakdown of the course please? As well, is it wasy to get a double digit grade in this course if you put in the effort and time? Is the workload time-consuming?

thanks a lot
Old 07-13-2009 at 12:17 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
I was wondering, how heavy of a workload is this course, I'm in first year life science and taking this as an elective. As well, can you post a mark breakdown of the course please? As well, is it wasy to get a double digit grade in this course if you put in the effort and time? Is the workload time-consuming?

thanks a lot
Course Outline: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~ge...se_Outline.pdf

Quote:
Mid Term Exam Date: February 10 20%
Assignments/Labs Dates: Various Dates throughout Term 50%
Final Exam Date: April Exam Period 30%

Old 07-13-2009 at 03:08 PM   #5
lankan_4lif

Can anyone tell me which course is harder: GEO 1HA3 or GEO 1HB3 and why, please?
Old 07-15-2009 at 01:27 PM   #6
qazwini

Liked: Liked 4 Times
I found the course pretty hard compared to my other electives. I guess my TA was a hard marker. She almost failed all of us in our first report.

GEO 1HB3 is harder than 1HA3 (you also have to consider the profs and such).

I'm selling the textbook for this class (GEO 1HB3) for a low price
Old 07-15-2009 at 01:35 PM   #7
lankan_4lif

Ye, i was considering GEOG 1HB3 but i decided to choose GEOG 1HA3 a couple weeks ago. How is Dr. Peace as a professor?
Old 07-18-2009 at 12:46 AM   #8
mcinside
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazwini View Post
I found the course pretty hard compared to my other electives. I guess my TA was a hard marker. She almost failed all of us in our first report.

GEO 1HB3 is harder than 1HA3 (you also have to consider the profs and such).

I'm selling the textbook for this class (GEO 1HB3) for a low price
<gasp> what?! O.O
Oh great there goes my 'easy-mark' elective -_-
Old 07-23-2009 at 06:11 AM   #9
Samantha

Liked: 0 Times
I heard that in this course there a lot of rather annoying assignments that make you go all over hamilton..is this true? and would this course be really hard for someone who hasnt taken geo before or know much about it?
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:58 AM   #10
qazwini

yes for two assignments we had to visit certain places and take notes and pictures and such. the last time i took geo was in grade 9. the material was interesting but heavy workload.
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:02 AM   #11
Samantha

Liked: 0 Times
would you say it is easy to do well in this course?
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:49 AM   #12
qazwini

i had dr.mercier too. although his lectures were well written and organized, i found his midterm and exam to be a bit long and difficult in a sense that you had to memorize precise definitions and examples. I think if you attend listen to his lectures (you need to go to class to fill in the blanks and add example *important to write down examples) and read the textbook well then you should be fine.
Old 07-23-2009 at 03:47 PM   #13
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times
I took this course last yr and I found it very easy. The assignments weren't bad, but were a bit annoying. As for the exam and midterm you should be fine if you went to class. Shouldn't be hard too get a 10 or 11 in this course.

mcinside says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 08:27 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
Although I haven't taken 1HA3, I've heard it was easier than this course. In terms of grades getting a double digit mark in this course is not as easy as it sounds. You will have to put in alot of effort and time into your assignments to get the marks you want obviously. It will also depend on your TA and instructor. The material is not hard or anything its just the amount of assignments thrown at you which can get out of hand if you leave them to the last minute especially if your in Engineering where you have to worry about other things (Math & Physics for one thing lol). The assignments themselves were also a sort of 'break' from the math and stuff aswell I found. Anyways if you enjoyed Geography in Grade 9 I say go for it! Just whatever you do dont go take a History elective LOL.
Old 08-02-2009 at 12:47 AM   #15
mcinside
Elite Member

I actually wanted to take a History as an elective
But, it's confusing really..some are saying it's hard, some are saying it's not, some are saying it's an easy 12 others are not so sure..
I guess this a dilema for every course really, including the TA/professor problem
Oh well, we'll see how it goes..

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search