MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Notes for ENVIR SC 1G03 & GEOG 1HB3 civil General Discussion 3 09-15-2009 06:25 PM
Geog 1hb3 sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-12-2009 09:10 PM

Geog 1HB3

Old 07-12-2009 at 04:11 PM   #16
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Geog 1HB3
I took this course as one of my engineering electives in the Fall 2008 term and I found it to be pretty interesting. I also had Dr. Mercier as my prof who was very good at lecturing. His style was to post all lecture notes on WebCT the day before so you...

says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:43 PM   #15
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Ok now I regret saying that last sentence. History is actually not too bad it really depends on the professor. I had Dr. Sun and I really really did not like her teaching method. Just to be clear I have nothing against History courses lol.
Old 08-27-2009 at 11:33 PM   #16
blenicnl

Liked: 4 Times
i really didn't like this class because of the labs. i had an AWFUL TA and we did have to go on goose chases around the hammer.
dr peace was ok in lecture, he's very funny to listen to. the midterm and exam were annoying because there would be hefty questions on very ambiguous things we did and nothing on more crucial parts. i got a 9 so it was a very shitty bird course
Old 09-16-2009 at 03:35 PM   #17
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Although I haven't taken 1HA3, I've heard it was easier than this course. In terms of grades getting a double digit mark in this course is not as easy as it sounds. You will have to put in alot of effort and time into your assignments to get the marks you want obviously. It will also depend on your TA and instructor. The material is not hard or anything its just the amount of assignments thrown at you which can get out of hand if you leave them to the last minute especially if your in Engineering where you have to worry about other things (Math & Physics for one thing lol). The assignments themselves were also a sort of 'break' from the math and stuff aswell I found. Anyways if you enjoyed Geography in Grade 9 I say go for it! Just whatever you do dont go take a History elective LOL.
how does this course stack up to eng 1c03 or eng 1p03? the whole "drawing maps" and "running around hamilton" is telling me this course is too time consuming..

Old 09-16-2009 at 03:38 PM   #18
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
how does this course stack up to eng 1c03 or eng 1p03? the whole "drawing maps" and "running around hamilton" is telling me this course is too time consuming..
Its not that bad its an easy A if you do all the work. It can be a bit annoying but besides that its ok. Not a lot of work and the drawing map is only like one assignment and itll at max take you 1hr to do (includes travel time).
Old 09-08-2010 at 04:41 PM   #19
shoij

Liked: 0 Times
1c03 1p03 were the "bird courses" of first yr engineering
Old 11-14-2010 at 05:49 PM   #20
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
Were you guys given a 3% bonus for attending all the labs like in GEOG 1HA3?
Old 11-14-2010 at 06:02 PM   #21
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

When I took it there was some marks for tutorial attendance but looking at this years syllabus:
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~geo/undergraduate/courses/firstyear/geog1hb3/1HB3_2010-11_Course_Outline_Fal l.pdf doesn't look like it...
Old 01-05-2011 at 08:44 PM   #22
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times
I had this course last semester and i found it really interesting as well. I had a heavy workload in my other classes and i found you have no regular homework but there are 3 time consuming (almost full day) assignments but if you do not procrastinate they are not bad.

As for marks it does depend on your TA as well as for the last group project which was worth a lot is also dependent on your group. With a fair bit of effort you can get a 10 or higher but with little effort its really easy to get an 8 or 9.

I was really happy with the course so i would recommend it
Old 01-25-2011 at 06:25 PM   #23
Jelmo

Hey, does anyone know if Dr.Peace's midterms are more based on the textbook or the lectures for this course?
Old 06-20-2011 at 11:43 AM   #24
JHolm13

This course is kind of easy. The assignments, midterm, and exam weren't hard at all. The only thing that I did not like about this course was the group project where you have to go to different locations, draw them, and take notes on them. Besides the group project, this course was pretty good.
Old 07-22-2011 at 11:12 PM   #25
septsweetie

Hey,
So one 1HA3 course review had a really good in-depth explanation of the assignments; I was wondering if someone who took the course could kindly just list the assignments done for this class as well? It would be tremendously helpful. =)
Old 07-24-2011 at 04:58 PM   #26
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
The assignments for 1HB3 is similar to 1HA3.

Assignment 1: writing a précis and critical review. The TA gives you an article to read about and you write about it. In précis you pretty much summarize the article and critical review, you explain the article in terms of theme with some citations
Assignment 2: we go to the library and do the assignment on the map room. This assignment is normally due at the end of the lab.
Assignment 3: writing a research paper about population of two countries assigned to you. I remember you had to draw population pyramids on this one and explaining how population in each country changed over time.
Assignment 4: a group assignment. This is making a route for the LRT. The group decides where each station is going to go and we have to make field notes based on the station. This is worth normally 20% of your final mark.

Overall, I found this course harder than 1HA3 and this class has some calculations to do..

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 07-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.

septsweetie says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 01:08 AM   #27
atyc.chao

Attend the lectures, do your assignments, and make sure you cite your work properly! If you can do these three things effectively, you have no trouble getting a good mark in this course!
Old 01-02-2012 at 04:55 PM   #28
Moose1992

Is the textbook necessary for this class?
Old 01-02-2012 at 06:11 PM   #29
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1992 View Post
Is the textbook necessary for this class?
I hardly read the textbook when i took the course but it's good to have it anyway.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search