environmental science 3b03 ims316 Academics 1 09-13-2010 05:08 PM
Environmental Science kuruczpa Academics 1 09-10-2010 08:35 PM
environmental science 1a03?? demelo_b Academics 7 11-30-2008 01:56 PM

Environmental Science and Geography

Old 01-13-2010 at 03:03 PM   #1
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Environmental Science and Geography
So I am debating between these two programs, and I hoping for some input; I know Environmental Science is well, science heavy, whereas Geography is more open, at least for first year. I am interested in human geography and GIS; which of these two would give me a better education? I've looked at some of the courses you take in Env. Science, and some just don't really interest me. On the other hand, first year Social Science requires courses other than Geography. Finally, does Geography offer Co-Op?
Old 01-13-2010 at 05:04 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Have you considered Environmental Studies? http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo...ocial_sci.html

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-13-2010 at 05:20 PM   #3
changturkey

No, but it's not too different from Geography, or Enviro. Sci really. Is there anywhere where I can find what a typical week is like for each student? (Geo and Env Sci)
Old 01-13-2010 at 08:32 PM   #4
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

If your interested in human geography, geography is your best bet!

In brief:

Enviro Sci = The science of physical landscape, water, atmosphere, etc. (science) eg. hydrology, environmental chemistry, soil science etc.
Geo = Social aspects of human activity (social science) eg. urban geography, health geography, transportation geography etc,
Environmental studies = The social aspects of environmental changes and how they affect people (social science with some very minor basic science involved), eg. environmental resource management, environmental issues, energy and society etc. (often cross-listed as both ENV SCI/EARTH SCI/GEO)

You also take GIS courses in geo as well.

Geography doesn't offer co-op but you can do experiential education through the social sciences office, which is basically co-op. you can find more information here:

http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/EE/

I don't know how popular experiential education is, but I suppose it really depends on the availability of positions throughout the year.

Anyways, good luck on your decision. I'm trying to minor in geo and so far it's pretty awesome! (I kinda wish it was my major, rather than my minor. :p)

Last edited by davey : 01-13-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 at 09:12 PM   #5
changturkey

Thanks alot; Do you have any idea what you can exactly the courses are like? Job opportunities? Is the material actually interesting? I also applied to CS, but that's becoming less and less attractive at the moment.
Old 01-13-2010 at 11:16 PM   #6
atyclb

Liked: 1 Time

I'm an upper year geography student. I find that the geography program offers a wide variety of courses to choose from and is pretty flexible. You could always take environmental science courses as your electives if you're interested in that but don't want to major in it.

A few of the upper year courses do double as both environmental science and geography courses. The majority of the GIS ones are the exact same for both programs.
Old 01-14-2010 at 11:52 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think you should consider your long term goals as well (ie. don't just focus on school - what will each degree give you?)

In my opinion, it seems like many people need to do extra schooling after taking Geography in university. I feel you are more likely to get a decent job straight out of university with an Environmental Science degree. With a Geography degree, you probably have to do a Masters or take some extra courses to get a decent job.

That's just what I think though. I could be wrong.
Old 01-14-2010 at 01:04 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think you should consider your long term goals as well (ie. don't just focus on school - what will each degree give you?)

In my opinion, it seems like many people need to do extra schooling after taking Geography in university. I feel you are more likely to get a decent job straight out of university with an Environmental Science degree. With a Geography degree, you probably have to do a Masters or take some extra courses to get a decent job.

That's just what I think though. I could be wrong.
It does depend on the industry and what is available; you can get a degree right out of university.

BUT it is getting progressively more and more common that regardless of what degree your undergrad is in, you need more education to be able to find a job.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-03-2010 at 08:32 PM   #9
changturkey

So it's possible to get in to GIS from Geography?
Old 02-08-2010 at 10:48 PM   #10
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Definately possible! You can get into GIS from anything. A friend of mine in Bio did a minor in GIS. It pairs well with so many degrees. And it's really easy to switch between programs in the School of Geography and Earth Sciences. So if you realize you've made the wrong choice, it's easy to fix.
:tree:
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:26 PM   #11
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
So it's possible to get in to GIS from Geography?
You can do GIS with practically anything. GIS is a set of problem solving tools. It helps if you have experience with maps and geography in general, but it's definitely not required.

I'm finishing up my certification in GIS this year, along with my B.Sc. so I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old 02-09-2010 at 07:07 PM   #12
changturkey

Is the work interesting in the field? Will it still be relevant in the next decade? Are there jobs available?
Old 02-09-2010 at 07:10 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

These are questions I think you should ask someone in the field.

There is a great mentor program through Career Services, called careerLINKS. It's an online database of over 300 mentors. Don't get put off by the word "mentor" though. These are professionals in a variety of fields that you can just email and ask questions. You can email, talk on the phone or meet in person as many times as you like.

It can be as simple as "Hi, my name is [ ] and I got your contact information off careerLINKS. I see that your occupation is [ ] and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions, because I'm trying to decide if Geography is the right fit for me." Then ask your questions.

The website is
careers.mcmaster.ca/tools/careerlinks