MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Envirsci 1g03 sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-11-2008 01:11 AM

ENVIRSCI IB03 or Math 1AA3

Old 06-29-2008 at 06:21 PM   #1
Fuma

Liked: 0 Times

ENVIRSCI IB03 or Math 1AA3
i know these two topics are very different, but i was wondering which one would be better to take in terms of "interestingness" , difficulty, work load, relevance and other little things you think i should know, thanks
Old 06-29-2008 at 07:51 PM   #2
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

I didn't take the Enviro, but I did take Math 1AA3 and almost failed it, lol. We had two tests each worth 20%, 5 online web assignments worth 10% in total, and the exam was worth 50%. You do a lot of integrating, which I found to be difficult, but I guess it depends on whether or not you like calculus. They give you a list of recommended questions, but honestly, you have do a lot more than what's on the list to do well I think.
Old 06-29-2008 at 08:13 PM   #3
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

My friends got killed with Math 1AA3; Like Omega_X13 said, pretty much almost failed. I wouldn't take it unless you reaaaaaaally like calculus and you do well in it.
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:24 AM   #4
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

I also got killed with Math 1AA3....
To put it in perspective, I did very well in high school math, and got a 10 in Math 1A03 with minimal effort. But 1AA3 was (in my perspective) infinitely more difficult, and I struggled immensely with it.
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:33 PM   #5
Afrisa

Since others have already said what is to be said about Math 1AA3 (except that the Series and Sequences chapter was the most boring thing in the world), I'll tell you about Enviro Sci 1B03.

It is pretty interesting, if you're into environmental problems. The usual pattern of lectures is that we learn about the system, and then the problems related to it (eg the water cycle, then water pollution). We had two tests (if I remember corerctly), a final, 4 or so labs, and a term paper. The term paper is something like 20 pages max, 2 firgures, 2 tables, tons of references. The labs were really easy. [Side Note: if you do end up taking this course, I have the text book.]

However, I heard Enviro Sci 1A03 is much, much easier, with no term paper. And if I remember correctly, they basically learn the same stuff as 1B03, but in less detail, and perhaps with less topics covered.
Old 06-30-2008 at 02:58 PM   #6
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

but is Enviro 1A03 easy ENOUGH for students who has not taken any courses related to environment AT ALL in high school?
Old 06-30-2008 at 04:19 PM   #7
Afrisa

Because 1B03 did not require any previous knowledge, and 1A03 is known to be easier, I'm going to assume 1A03 does not require it either. ;p
Old 06-30-2008 at 05:20 PM   #8
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrisa View Post
Because 1B03 did not require any previous knowledge, and 1A03 is known to be easier, I'm going to assume 1A03 does not require it either. ;p
whew~
that's a relief
Old 06-28-2009 at 03:01 PM   #9
magicalland

Liked: Liked 2 Times

yah i took Enviro 1A03 it was really easy course..easy to get 12. very easy in comparison to Math 1AA3 - was hard; require work but if u like math and If you liked Math 1A03 then you can still get good marks 11 or 12 GPA. I found it really interesting. But if you ar elooking for easy course - then Enviro it is...its still requires memorization.