MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Year Length (In Weeks) MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2010 12:59 AM
Does the first summer school class run the whole length? goldfish101 Academics 1 05-02-2010 02:16 PM
Why no rule for length of shorts at the gym? Kathy2 General Discussion 38 10-21-2009 07:25 PM
Length of Classes jhan523 Academics 10 06-08-2009 02:28 PM

Essay Length

Old 10-04-2011 at 09:40 PM   #1
yoshimay

Liked: 0 Times

Essay Length
If an essay is supposed to be 500 words, how much leeway is there generally? At the rate I'm going now, I think mine will be over 500, I'm just wondering how much I'm allowed to actually go over.

And yes, I did email my TA, but it's due tomorrow, so she might not get back to me in time. I think I learned my lesson this week and I'll stop procrastinating on my assignments
Old 10-04-2011 at 09:56 PM   #2
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Generally 10% over/under. But no marker counts words as they read essays; it's more about how concise your arguments are. Like if you write a paper that's over the word limit but it's beautifully written with no wasted words or fluff, your marker probably won't mind. On the other hand, if you write a paper that's at the word limit but filled with bullshit filler, your marker's gonna feel like the paper is dragging. This more applies to longer papers; like if you write a 12 page paper for a 10 page assignment. But don't hand in a 4 page paper for a 2 page assignment.

One thing that's always irked me about word limits is that all my professors seem to think 250 words equals 1 page. Like they'll say "1000 words or 4 pages", yet every paper I've ever written, 12 pt font Times New Roman, each page is 350-375 words. A page might be 250 words if you have a ton of endnotes or something, but who the hell does endnotes nowadays...

eccentrikkk, J. Dorey, RyanC like this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 09:57 PM   #3
person33

Liked: 53 Times

i'd say on avaerage profs/tas will allow most papers to be 100-200 words over the limit but really it depends on what they have told you/ how strict the outline for the assignment sounds.
Old 10-04-2011 at 09:59 PM   #4
yoshimay

Liked: 0 Times

Okay, thanks
Old 10-04-2011 at 10:10 PM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

If it's only 500 words, they'll prob allow you 50 words over TOPS. You'll be docked otherwise.
Old 10-04-2011 at 10:19 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Unless its in the marking scheme how long it could be before you start getting docked marks, i would go from 400-600 words. as long as you dont use filler or anything, ive done 800 words for a 1000 word essay but with good info and wasnt docked marks
Old 10-04-2011 at 10:36 PM   #7
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

First things first, this shouldn't be an issue when you have one night before it's due. Anyways, what I suggest doing is, maybe a week before it's due, just write your essay (not thinking about the word limits/count). Then, once your done, let it sit for a day. After that, edit the hell out of it, get others to edit it; basically, go crazy with it. This way, if a situation like this pops up again, you'll have more than 24 hours to talk to your TA about it, considering most TAs (at least the ones that I've had...) don't allow essay consultation 24 hours before the due date. With that being said, to answer your question, most give a 10% leeway which is, in this case, 50 words, as others have stated.

TLDR; Don't wait until the last minute next time, but you're most likely allowed 50 extra words.
Old 10-04-2011 at 11:29 PM   #8
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
One thing that's always irked me about word limits is that all my professors seem to think 250 words equals 1 page. Like they'll say "1000 words or 4 pages", yet every paper I've ever written, 12 pt font Times New Roman, each page is 350-375 words. A page might be 250 words if you have a ton of endnotes or something, but who the hell does endnotes nowadays...
250 words is simply the industrial standard for one page, just fyi. For example, when I edit people's papers, I charge per 250 words.