MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuters: evening classes missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-07-2011 11:24 PM
Evening classes cancelled 3/23 eleduc Academics 5 03-23-2011 01:23 PM
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
Day/Evening Milka Academics 1 06-27-2010 08:54 PM
Evening Courses Beth First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-16-2010 01:28 AM

Evening Classes

Old 07-18-2011 at 03:53 PM   #1
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Evening Classes
For people who've taken evening courses, did you guys like it? I'm debating whether I should take English 1A03 first semester because it's an evening course from 7-10 and I generally like my school days to end in the afternoon so I can go home and study. So what're some pros and cons of taking evening classes?
Old 07-18-2011 at 03:58 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

afaik night classes are 2-3 hours in one session with breaks. Thus u would only have to go to it twice a week (or once i forgot)
Old 07-18-2011 at 04:07 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It was good in the sense that it freed up by day schedule. However, it can feel really long. I usually found it difficult to concentrate after about 1.5-2 hours. However, it all depends on the subject. Hey're really not all that bad overall. Just eat dinner before, grab a snack and water, and you're good.
Old 07-18-2011 at 04:08 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It depends how you study. I tend to speak to my professors beforehand about recording lectures, and when I can, especially in summer school or with evening classes, it works nicely to have a recording, just in case you drift off. It will clear up the rest of your week nicely, and it's sort of good to have English in one go. Makes for more productive discussion I find, and the prof won't be repeating themselves as much. If you get sleepy easily, it might be good to grab a coffee, but other than that... it's personal preference. There's no "bad" side to it unless even classes really tire you out, but one of your required courses in upper years may be an evening course anyway. Are you sure it's 3 hours? Both the Englishes I took were 2 hours

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2011 at 04:09 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

In summer school I had an evening class. If you're commuting, it's a major pain because busses in hamilton run on a slower schedule at night. If you have class the next day, you'd better make sure to finish your homework and assignments and stuff before you go to your evening class, because I was so tired at the end of those 3 hour sessions that I just wanted to sleep when I went home. Personally I didn't find it too unbearable to sit through, because the prof will give 10 minute breaks or a 20 minute break or something so you can stretch your legs, but I'd rather not have evening classes any more if I can avoid it ~___~
Old 07-18-2011 at 04:20 PM   #6
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

It would be once a week, 2 hours for lectures and then a 1 hour tutorial right after. I have an anatomy tutorial right before so I guess I'd eat dinner super early? But it doesn't really free up that day though, I still have two tutorials and a lecture in the day...

But yea, like Sara said, I find it kind of difficult to concentrate after 1.5 hours straight
Last year I had Physics 1B03 5:30 - 6:30 three times a week and I hated it, so I'm wondering if evening classes are really for me

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-18-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2011 at 04:38 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
It would be once a week, 2 hours for lectures and then a 1 hour tutorial right after. I have an anatomy tutorial right before so I guess I'd eat dinner super early? But it doesn't really free up that day though, I still have two tutorials and a lecture in the day...

But yea, like Sara said, I find it kind of difficult to concentrate after 1.5 hours straight
Last year I had Physics 1B03 5:30 - 6:30 three times a week and I hated it, so I'm wondering if evening classes are really for me
Yep, you'd definitely have to eat before then. I had 5 hours straight but from 12:30-5:30 and it was perfectly do-able but it takes a little effort. But since yours will be 2 hours lecture and an hour tutorial that makes it better I think. Just a little change of pace, especially since it would be in a different room an with a TA. I thought that night class wasn't for me before this year as well, but you really have to try it to figure out if it works for you. And besides, you're bound to be faced with 5:30 classes or even other night classes so you should try it! Also, it frees up your schedule so why not!
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:45 PM   #8
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Evening classes are not as bad as people think they are. I've had them and they were pretty good.
But then again, I would much rather have a 7 pm class than an 8.30 am class.

Desda, Dopematic, trineee_ like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:02 PM   #9
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I wouldn't recommend evening classes, especially in the winter. The cold is very discouraging. With that being said, morning classes suck more.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:35 PM   #10
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I had evening classes in summer school that are 3 hours long. I found it quite awesome because I don't have to wake up early to go to school. But what i didn't like about them is that it takes longer for me to travel to school at night than in the day, since I live far from the school. Other than that it was a good experience. I recommend evening classes if your not a morning person, but if you don't like going home really late, then I wouldn't recommend so. (unless of course if you live in residence)

I took Psychology 1X03 and Art History 1A03 in summer school. I like Psychology class better because even though the class is schedule for 3 hours, the class only ends up being 1 hour long, if not shorter. So it was a good class to be in. Art History however is 3 hours long, but the prof gives us at least 10 minutes break in the middle of class.

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 07-18-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2011 at 07:33 PM   #11
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I like evening courses because they free up the rest of my schedule quite a bit. However, I would not recommend being in the evening class if there are other sections of the class in the daytime. This is because of snow days. It may sound silly, but I took French 1A06 last year in the evening and we got really far behind because we missed at least 2 classes (that's 2 weeks of work) because of snow days. And we couldn't slow down or omit anything because we had to be on pace with the other classes. It wasn't the end of the world or anything, I still enjoyed the night class, but I'm just saying keep it in mind. Aside from that, since the class will be about 3 hours long, make sure you're a person that can concentrate and take notes for that length of time. Most profs give a short break in the middle, but for some people it's still very difficult, and there's absolutely no shame in that! Everyone learns differently.
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:05 PM   #12
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

I should clarify, it's not a three hour lecture. It's 2 hours of lecture and then 1 hour of tutorial, which is manageable I guess. I live off campus and it would probably take me around 15 minutes to walk to class, which isn't too bad
Old 07-19-2011 at 09:38 AM   #13
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

One thing I really like about night classes is that because they're once a week, I'm less inclined to skip it. I've been known to skip 50 minutes classes for the dumbest reasons but I don't do that with night classes.
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:09 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
I should clarify, it's not a three hour lecture. It's 2 hours of lecture and then 1 hour of tutorial, which is manageable I guess. I live off campus and it would probably take me around 15 minutes to walk to class, which isn't too bad
Yep, that;s why I think it'll be much easier and not too bad to sit through 2 hours and then go to tutorial as if it's another class. The change in setting will help you re-focus.
Old 07-19-2011 at 02:14 PM   #15
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
I wouldn't recommend evening classes, especially in the winter. The cold is very discouraging. With that being said, morning classes suck more.
This. Winter + nightclass = 100% skip. The part about morning classes is also true.. Come to think of it, I have an 11am-4pm sweet spot only :p

However, that said, having a night class can take a chunk out of your weekly schedule. Even though it's the same class time (1 three hour lecture vs 3 one hour lectures), I always found that my week seemed a lot lighter for it.