MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evening classes Ever Academics 22 09-01-2012 10:34 AM
mcmaster classes vs. other school classes drpatel General Discussion 2 04-27-2012 02:20 PM
Evening Classes MichaelScarn Academics 21 07-20-2011 08:34 PM
Commuters: evening classes missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-07-2011 11:24 PM
Evening classes cancelled 3/23 eleduc Academics 5 03-23-2011 01:23 PM

Evening classes vs Day classes?

Old 08-07-2013 at 02:15 PM   #1
elllie.e

Liked: 0 Times

Evening classes vs Day classes?
What are the pros and cons of day classes and evening classes?

Should I switch into an evening class to resolve a conflict or just take another elective?

YashsWay says thanks to elllie.e for this post.
Old 08-07-2013 at 02:19 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

If you really want to take the elective, then go for the evening class. If I was in your case though, I wouldn't take the evening class.

The pros would obviously include having some more additional time during the day in your school week and the con would be having one night a week where you could potentially be stuck in the lecture hall for the entire three hours.

You can really think about what the pros and cons could be for yourself though. Like, a pro would be you would have enough time prior to the next class which will be in a week to go through all of the previous material and do all the work and be ready for the next class. But then again, other priorities come into play and things usually don't go according to plan. :p
Old 08-07-2013 at 02:25 PM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

i've had a few evening classes. I don't really mind them. Just be sure that if you do take an evening class, have it be on a day where you don't have early morning classes (This is especially tiring if you commute, and end up stuck on campus for over 12 hours)
Old 08-07-2013 at 02:38 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I usually take one evening class per semester. You'll find in upper years that many classes are only offered at night. I find that having one night class really makes the rest of my week seem a lot lighter and more manageable.
Old 08-07-2013 at 02:50 PM   #5
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Definitely prefer evening classes its 2/3 hours only one night a week usually as opposed to one hour 3 times a week so you really have more time in your schedule and a whole week between classes to catch up and to do all the readings/assignments. Also you get to sleep in
Old 08-07-2013 at 04:16 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

It's really up to you and your daily schedule. Night classes are one 3-hour time slot per week, instead of three 1-hour ones. So it frees up your schedule, given that you can actually pay attention, stay awake and take notes during class. That's really the only difference. Try it out, it's hard going to class after a long day, but I've come to really like them, you go in, once a week and you're done with that class!
Old 08-07-2013 at 06:46 PM   #7
sarahbenji

Liked: 1 Time

Definitely evening classes. It lets you arrange your schedule better, have a day off even. They can be difficult to sit though, but the prof usually gives you a decent break.
Old 08-09-2013 at 11:02 PM   #8
alex47

Liked: 0 Times

Health Age 1AA3 Evening

Does anyone know where I can find the times of the eveningcourses, I selected Health Age 1AA3 however my time table does show the night ofthe week or the time

Old 08-09-2013 at 11:11 PM   #9
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex47 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the times of the eveningcourses, I selected Health Age 1AA3 however my time table does show the night ofthe week or the time

Check the McMaster master time table. Google it and you'll find the link. You can search up any class, the times, location, and prof.

Regarding evening classes: the pros have already been stated. However, I personally cannot do evening classes because I can't concentrate for that long for one topic. My mind wanders.
Old 08-10-2013 at 08:52 AM   #10
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

A friend told me that night classes usually ends earlier than 3 hours because there's less shuffling around (people moving out of the lecture hall and people moving in). Is that true?
Old 08-10-2013 at 11:38 AM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytuh View Post
A friend told me that night classes usually ends earlier than 3 hours because there's less shuffling around (people moving out of the lecture hall and people moving in). Is that true?
It is true that they usually end earlier than three hours, but it entirely depends on the prof.
Old 08-11-2013 at 12:46 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytuh View Post
Not quite for that reason, not really sure what that means tbh. But during 1-hour classes, they end up being 50 minutes to allow for 10 minutes transport time between classes. So for a 3-hour class, it's really only 2.5 hours if you factor in those 10 minutes per hour. However, most profs are nice enough to finish within the 2.5 hours or even less sometimes, other profs can go the full 3 hours.

kaytuh says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-12-2013 at 08:58 PM   #13
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Aside from the infringing on social activities, I prefer evening classes. I had two both semesters last year and will be taking three each term this year. They tend to have more mature students in them, the profs move faster through the material because they don't want to be there any more than you do and the only professor I've met who can talk for more than an hour and a half straight through is Dr. Colavecchia.