MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Day/Evening Milka Academics 1 06-27-2010 08:54 PM
Evening Courses Beth First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-16-2010 01:28 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
evening courses & look over my choices? fishballs General Discussion 11 07-04-2009 10:15 AM
An Evening on Literacy kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-23-2009 08:55 PM

Evening Courses?

Old 08-11-2011 at 06:20 PM   #1
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

Evening Courses?
So I decided to take an evening course Econ 1B03 from 7-10 on tuesdays with Holmes. I'm just wondering if its a disadvantage having evening courses. Or is it not really a difference? My concern really is I'm someone who likes to study for tests in the evening so I'm just worried I'll have to go to Econ for 3 hours and then have to study for a tests thats the next day.
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:24 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
So I decided to take an evening course Econ 1B03 from 7-10 on tuesdays with Holmes. I'm just wondering if its a disadvantage having evening courses. Or is it not really a difference? My concern really is I'm someone who likes to study for tests in the evening so I'm just worried I'll have to go to Econ for 3 hours and then have to study for a tests thats the next day.
If you have a short attention span you'll be at a disadvantage. Also if there are snow storms on tuesdays that would suck. As for wednesday tests, you'll find a way to manage. Although in first year I don't recall having many tests on a Wednesday, most of them were on Friday.
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:30 PM   #3
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

It's a personal thing but I only took 1 night course at Mac and I hated it (and never took another night course again). I like being able to eat dinner/relax/watch tv in the evening and prefer to get all my classes out of the way in the morning/afternoon. Going to/from campus at night (especially if it's a 2nd sem course - Jan/Feb weather is the worst) wasn't fun either. And it's hard to pay attention for so long (though most profs will give you a break in there somewhere).
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:22 PM   #4
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I agree that in Jan and Feb the route home isnt so nice but I in fact always make sure to have one night class each term. I find that if you have a good, engaging prof it isnt really a problem to pay attention. they always give a halfway break (that I have seen anyways) so if you need to grab a coffee or stretch or something its not bad. And I find that a night class REALLY frees up your days. its nice to have full afternoons off for a few days, and personally I dont have an issue with working during the afternoon or evening so moving when I have a big break doesnt matter.
If you dont have too many classes right before you can likely manage to eat dinner ok too before class if you want.
The best way is to take a class with a decent prof and see if you like it. You wont know till you try and being a morning or evening person may not even effect it either.
Old 08-12-2011 at 01:17 PM   #5
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
The disadvantage? Falling asleep an hour in.

... no seriously, Holmes just reads off the slides. I found it better off not going to class and reading the lecture slides she posts online.
Old 08-12-2011 at 01:23 PM   #6
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
The disadvantage? Falling asleep an hour in.

... no seriously, Holmes just reads off the slides. I found it better off not going to class and reading the lecture slides she posts online.
Having known multiple people who took this class, I can attest to this. You'll learn quickly what classes are worth actually going to.

Back when I was a high-school student doing a co-op at the University of Guelph, a masters student at the lab once told me that university is all about finding a way to go to the least amount of classes while still maintaining good grades. Younger me thought this was absurd and counter-intuitive, but I quickly learned the truth to this statement

stja1 says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

Johnny162, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:17 PM   #7
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I've mentioned it in other threads, but the one thing I like about evening classes that, unless I'm really ill, I always go to the lectures. It's easy for me to justify missing an hour here or there, but I never blow off my evening classes and I've gotten 10+ in every one of them (6 at this point I think).
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:41 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

evening courses in general are a pain, they waste a lot of time that could have been spent doing other things like sitting down and eating a meal in peace. yet at the same time they arent too bad, you only have to go to them once a week. and depending on the course you dont have to go at all ( just look at the slides and learn by yourself)

in your case its econ and really you dont learn much in class, just learn off the slides thats what i did first year. so technically you dont even have to go to your evening lectures

also some courses are only offered in the evenings so its good to get used to them just in case you have a course later on thats in the evening.
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:16 PM   #9
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

In my undergrad I was reluctant to take evening courses just as you were. Then I took a few and I really started to enjoy them. Something nice about the night atmosphere, its much more relaxed. You and the professor both know its 7pm, so things just go.... smoother. Then again any prof can ruin any class and any time, but most of the time its nice.

Source: I'm a graduate student, ive gone through the whole mess of undergrad. If your interested in grad/med school for the future and you have questions, visit my blog www.insideminds.tk and leave me a comment or pm me on this forum. I usually answer within a day or so. good luck
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:50 PM   #10
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I don't know how night classes go during the regular school year, but I took 4 classes this past spring/summer semesters and I liked them fine. They went from 7-10 but most of the time the profs let us out at 9:30 or 9:45. At first, I had a 7-10 class, the next day a 3:30-6:30, 7-10, and then 3:30-6:30 again. I hated it because I need consistency, so I switched to all 7-10's. If you find it hard to be in class till 10 and then having to get up for a 8:30/9:30 class the next morning, then I wouldn't recommend it. You'll be way too tired. Remember, it's not just that you're awake at 10, but you're also expected to be awake and fully functional after a long day of classes earlier. Then you have to incorporate the time it takes you to return home. I know that I couldn't personally do it in the regular school year. I would never skip a 3 hour class! Good luck.
Old 08-13-2011 at 05:31 PM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I understand your concerns but you will know about your tests well in advance and be able to plan out the studying better. Evening classes can be a refreshing change.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

stja1 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-14-2011 at 07:04 PM   #12
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

are all night classes podcasted? someone told me they are.....
Old 08-14-2011 at 07:11 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
Nope. I've never heard of that. Classes would be empty if that was the case. I had night class last year and there were no podcasts. It depends on the course.
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:19 PM   #14
Meaghann

Liked: 1 Time

Last year I had a night class and it didn't bother me much. If you have an early class the next morning it would be pretty difficult to deal with but other than that I had no issues with it. I have two night classes this year but no really early morning classes so it's great! As for podcasting, as mentioned before not all evening classes do. Mine did last year however, when the professor was giving exam hints or assignment help she would turn the mic off so that only people who attended the class would know what she said
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:26 PM   #15
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
they lied .