MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rice is not a side-dish (I): Everyday Stir-fry! lilchoconut Recipes 0 08-07-2009 04:38 PM

Everyday is a loss

Old 10-25-2010 at 10:16 PM   #16
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

If it's depression, then I'd go and seek help. CSD offers counselling and can also put you in contact with someone off campus if you'd prefer that.

However, if it's just that you're having a hard time talking to girls... I say just go for it. It's easier said than done, but it's really the only way to do it. Sit next to a girl in class that you like and make a comment about the weather or something the professor said at the last lecture. The fact that you guys are in the same class automatically means you have something in common, so at least you don't have to figure that out. Sit next to her and talk to her enough, it'll eventually not seem so scary!
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:23 PM   #17
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
Sit next to a girl in class that you like and make a comment about the weather or something the professor said at the last lecture. The fact that you guys are in the same class automatically means you have something in common, so at least you don't have to figure that out. Sit next to her and talk to her enough, it'll eventually not seem so scary!
Sorry to interject, but for those in the lower years with huge lectures this seems borderline stalking to me. I mean singling out one girl in a group of 300 and sitting by for the sole purpose of striking up a conversation with intent of developing a, hopefully intimate, relationship just seems creepy to me. I personally think joining a club/society would achieve the same effect without the stalker-iness
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:26 PM   #18
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

If he's doing this to ge laid go for prostitution. Or go to a br approch a chick and buy her a drink.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:31 PM   #19
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Sorry to interject, but for those in the lower years with huge lectures this seems borderline stalking to me. I mean singling out one girl in a group of 300 and sitting by for the sole purpose of striking up a conversation with intent of developing a, hopefully intimate, relationship just seems creepy to me.
How is this different than singling out a girl in a bar/club/mall/library/party/etc? Anywhere you go, if you want to meet someone, you have to single them out.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:32 PM   #20
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Sorry to interject, but for those in the lower years with huge lectures this seems borderline stalking to me. I mean singling out one girl in a group of 300 and sitting by for the sole purpose of striking up a conversation with intent of developing a, hopefully intimate, relationship just seems creepy to me. I personally think joining a club/society would achieve the same effect without the stalker-iness
I guess it could be... In first year, I normally sat in the same seat surrounded by the same people, so I wouldn't have noticed. In fact, that's how I made most of my friends in first year, just by sitting near each other all the time. So I don't know if I agree with you... I mean, if you have a good conversation with her, she'll probably want to sit next to you. At least, I'd want to sit next to a guy that I had a good conversation with.

And really, the same group goes to clubs/societies on a regular basis. So if he went one week, saw someone he liked, and went the next week with the intention of seeing her again to develop, hopefully, an intimate relationship, wouldn't that also be creepy/stalkerish? If anything, wouldn't that be even more so stalkerish since you went out of your way to go to the club/society, whereas you would go to class whether or not she was there?

I don't know. Just seems like a silly distinction to me. As long as he's not following her home or to her other classes, I don't see the big deal. Personally, I'd like it. Shows the guy has confidence, knows what he wants, and is willing to go after it.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:35 PM   #21
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
How is this different than singling out a girl in a bar/club/mall/library/party/etc? Anywhere you go, if you want to meet someone, you have to single them out.
I do suppose my point of view has been completely shut down. The only real difference is at a bar/club/mall/library/party/etc if you fail you never have to deal with said girl again.

Edit: Also, I know I wouldn't want people hitting on me during a lecture. I'm there to learn..
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:37 PM   #22
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
I do suppose my point of view has been completely shut down. The only real difference is at a bar/club/mall/library/party/etc if you fail you never have to deal with said girl again.

Edit: Also, I know I wouldn't want people hitting on me during a lecture. I'm there to learn..
Edit: Also, I know I wouldn't mind being hit on anywhere.

Fixed that for you.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:37 PM   #23
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
I guess it could be... In first year, I normally sat in the same seat surrounded by the same people, so I wouldn't have noticed. In fact, that's how I made most of my friends in first year, just by sitting near each other all the time. So I don't know if I agree with you... I mean, if you have a good conversation with her, she'll probably want to sit next to you. At least, I'd want to sit next to a guy that I had a good conversation with.
I understand your point of view there. I have classes where I always sit by the same people, where it would be natural to become friends over time. It's another thing to go "Hey.. She's cute" and sit down beside someone you hardly know and force a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Edit: Also, I know I wouldn't mind being hit on anywhere.

Fixed that for you.
Considering how socially inept I am, it is a surprise that this is not actually a problem. It turns out that there are a lot of girls who find tall men attractive. Frankly i don't get it.

Last edited by Replekia : 10-25-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:41 PM   #24
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
I understand your point of view there. I have classes where I always sit by the same people, where it would be natural to become friends over time. It's another thing to go "Hey.. She's cute" and sit down beside someone you hardly know and force a conversation.

Considering how socially inept I am, it is a surprise that this is not actually a problem. It turns out that there are a lot of girls who find tall men attractive. Frankly i don't get it.
True, I sit with pretty much the same people in all my classes. Except for accounting since I don't know anyone in that class.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:43 PM   #25
killza

Liked: 105 Times

I think this might be pretty fitting for this thread

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/079/13...g?128792147 6

Amaryll, xo.monica like this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:44 PM   #26
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
I dont see how it's is different than a lecture hall. If she shoots you down, you'll probably never see her again. Chances are she'll avoid you, and you would avoid her too. I know I would. Just like if I ran into a girl that shot me down at a bar.

Of course, if you're talking about a small class, like a language class of 20-40 people it's different. But by Lecture, I'm assuming you mean a several hundred person hall.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:44 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I will never understand why people's happiness is contingent on finding a girlfriend/boyfriend.

What a stupid thread.

And yes, he should "man up" because plenty of other people have gone through depression the same way.

"herp derp I'm sad I'm just gonna keep doing the same thing that makes me sad and ***** about it."

Change your environment.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-25-2010 at 10:46 PM   #28
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I dont see how it's is different than a lecture hall. If she shoots you down, you'll probably never see her again. Chances are she'll avoid you, and you would avoid her too. I know I would. Just like if I ran into a girl that shot me down at a bar.

Of course, if you're talking about a small class, like a language class of 20-40 people it's different. But by Lecture, I'm assuming you mean a several hundred person hall.
I suppose so, but it certainly would suck if you see said girl avoiding you.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:46 PM   #29
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

OP here's your problem : What's your ****ing goal in life ? Do you place women as the center in your life ?

Follow your passion, and do exercise. Deperession can be overcome, just face it and be HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE LIMBS AND ABLE TO ATTEND A UNIVESITY.

Sierously, people these days are such whiny little girls. There's children in war torn countries who get killed, shot at, witness the death of their family and have to experience a great amount of pain every single day.

I admit, I have felt depression during HS, felt left out. Could have comitted suicide, but then I realize that the scum of this planet are still alive and kicking. So why sould I end my life when evil is at its peek ? If I am going to Hell, I'll wait until evil scum like Osama bin Laden dies.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:48 PM   #30
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
And yes, he should "man up" because plenty of other people have gone through depression the same way.
That begs the question:

Is it depression, or being an internet drama queen? Notice the use of the word death in the OP. Sounds like drama to me.