MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rice is not a side-dish (I): Everyday Stir-fry! lilchoconut Recipes 0 08-07-2009 04:38 PM

Everyday is a loss

Old 10-25-2010 at 10:48 PM   #31
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Grow some balls and talk to the people you're interested in. What've you got to lose? [:
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:51 PM   #32
killza

Liked: 105 Times

hey bro,

19/m/hamilton

I'm free any time

xo.monica likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:53 PM   #33
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
OP here's your problem : What's your ****ing goal in life ? Do you place women as the center in your life ?

Follow your passion, and do exercise. Deperession can be overcome, just face it and be HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE LIMBS AND ABLE TO ATTEND A UNIVESITY.

Sierously, people these days are such whiny little girls. There's children in war torn countries who get killed, shot at, witness the death of their family and have to experience a great amount of pain every single day.

I admit, I have felt depression during HS, felt left out. Could have comitted suicide, but then I realize that the scum of this planet are still alive and kicking. So why sould I end my life when evil is at its peek ? If I am going to Hell, I'll wait until evil scum like Osama bin Laden dies.

i know this approach, and it doesn't really work, as noble as your intentions are.
Depression works differently for everyone.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:54 PM   #34
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I will never understand why people's happiness is contingent on finding a girlfriend/boyfriend.

What a stupid thread.

And yes, he should "man up" because plenty of other people have gone through depression the same way.

"herp derp I'm sad I'm just gonna keep doing the same thing that makes me sad and ***** about it."

Change your environment.
You are aware the primary function of a living organism is to reproduce and keep its species alive? It's kind of hard-coded into people to find a mate. That's most likely why many people feel discontent without a partner.

Seriously? "he should "man up" because plenty of other people have gone through depression the same way." Should cancer patients 'man up' because other people have had cancer? depression is a serious medical condition and doesn't just go away by 'manning up'. Put in layman's terms; sadness is something you can 'man up' and deal with, usually it's treated with a tub of ice cream and emo music you won't admit you have on your ipod 9 days out of 10. Depression is a serious medical condition characterized by severe pessimism and anhedonia. Depression is treated with medication and counseling, it's not something that 'manning up' fixes

While I will contend there is a possibility the OP is mentally fine and just a drama queen seeking attention, the few posts he has made lean towards depression. Either way treating the OP's as trivial when you yourself have no solid foundation to understand what they are going through cannot be good for their mental state as if he is depressed you are more or less bullying a depressed person and if he is just a drama queen, who tend to be sensitive and moody, you're likely to hurt feelings(depression in the making?)

Last edited by Replekia : 10-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.

ViktorVaughn likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:56 PM   #35
killza

I think hitting the gym helps with depression, seriously.

arathbon likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:57 PM   #36
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Hmm, yeah, I find exercising helpful for relieving stress...the hard part is getting motivated to arrive at the gym. XD
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:57 PM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
You are aware the primary function of a living organism is to reproduce and keep its species alive? It's kind of hard-coded into people to find a mate. That's most likely why many people feel discontent without a partner.

Seriously? "he should "man up" because plenty of other people have gone through depression the same way." Should cancer patients 'man up' because other people have had cancer? depression is a serious medical condition and doesn't just go away by 'manning up'. Put in layman's terms; sadness is something you can 'man up' and deal with, usually it's treated with a tub of ice cream and emo music you won't admit you have on your ipod 9 days out of 10. Depression is a serious medical condition characterized by severe pessimism and anhedonia. Depression is treated with medication and counseling, it's not something that 'manning up' fixes
Yes, they should, because it's a fact of life and it's not like someone/something purrposely picked you out and said "you know what, I'm gonna **** with this ***** and give him/her cancer." No, shit happens, deal with it. Woe is NOT you.

I know what depression is, darling.

side note: reproducing =/= finding a mate. So which is it?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-25-2010 at 10:58 PM   #38
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
The fact that every time someone is upset, the automatic modern response is "depression" discredits it. There's a reason why terms like "cry wolf" exist. This is quickly becoming one of those reasons.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:00 PM   #39
killza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Hmm, yeah, I find exercising helpful for relieving stress...the hard part is getting motivated to arrive at the gym. XD
LOL yo bro, just think about that tight butt your gonna get if you exercise loads or run lots. Heck i'll even run with you, no guarantees i won't destroy you though =P
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:04 PM   #40
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Yes, they should, because it's a fact of life and it's not like someone/something purrposely picked you out and said "you know what, I'm gonna **** with this ***** and give him/her cancer." No, shit happens, deal with it. Woe is NOT you.

I know what depression is, darling.

side note: reproducing =/= finding a mate. So which is it?
Yea, shit happens. But if that shit isn't happening to you, you have no right to look down on people who are experiencing that shit. Even if you have known depression, can you be sure yours was as bad? Was the root cause the same? What about the physical and emotional symptoms? You can't know, so what position are you in to assume the role of high and mighty and look down on this person?

On the note of finding a mate: Come on, you can figure out that one leads to another. Surely you are smart enough to figure that one out. You also need to realize that the idea of divorce and break ups are very recent in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
The fact that every time someone is upset, the automatic modern response is "depression" discredits it. There's a reason why terms like "cry wolf" exist. This is quickly becoming one of those reasons.
You obviously don't understand the concept that depression is a medical condition and not just someone being sad.

Last edited by Replekia : 10-25-2010 at 11:08 PM.

killza likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:09 PM   #41
killza

If it's real depression: seek help, go to actual professional or if you want to do it urself, immerse yourself in something, hit the gym, heck i'll even go with you, seriously.

If your just feeling like I sometimes feel, aka, "**** man, I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO CUDDLE WITH" then you just gotta stop thinking about those thoughts, I know how it feels man. I've had my fair share of "heart breaks" and lonely times, heck to be honest, I feel like shit now but I just keep telling myself I gotta get over this, theres nothing I can do.

Tlr: take care of yourself, let time flip the pages of life for you but write your own tale
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:12 PM   #42
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Yea, shit happens. But if that shit isn't happening to you, you have no right to look down on people who are experiencing that shit. Even if you have known depression, can you be sure yours was as bad? Was the root cause the same? What about the physical and emotional symptoms? You can't know, so what position are you in to assume the role of high and mighty and look down on this person?

On the note of finding a mate: Come on, you can figure out that one leads to another. Surely you are smart enough to figure that one out. You also need to realize that the idea of divorce and break ups are very recent in the grand scheme of things.
Yup, because I haven't had cancer than nothing that could have ever happened to me could ever compare to it.

Subjectivity, my friend. Learn it. Things are only as horrible as you order them to be.

I'm not looking down on ANYBODY. Once again, disagreement = looking down on somebody. I just love this site more and more every day.

You don't NEED a counselor to get through depression, and you don't NEED medications. It's just the easy way.

But let's go on making assumptions. You're assuming OP is depressed. I'm assuming OP is a fuggo that no girl would ever be interested in, so it's easier to blame it on "depression."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

killza likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:13 PM   #43
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

As you said, depression is different in each person. For some, the "man-up" approach can work.
Ex. My story I posted about what my dad told me worked wonders for me. It was literally a switch. I'm not saying it'll do the same, but maybe you shouldn't knock how different people choose to help. You never know which type of help this guy needs. Everyone can give their own input based on their own experiences.
Also, before I get a lecture about depression, trust me I know. This wasn't some emo spell I went through but a years long ordeal.

Boolean likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:18 PM   #44
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
You obviously don't understand the concept that depression is a medical condition and not just someone being sad.
I understand it perfectly well, thanks. I understand that one of the symptoms of depression is withdrawing from people, and seeking ways to avoid talking with others. I understand that another symptom is loss of interest in sex. I understand that yet another is indifference to their situation.

This thread however isnt about that. It's about a guy being emo about the lack of women in his life, and reaching out to others about it. Doesn't seem very depressive to me.

Don't be so quick to jump on the depression bandwagon.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:19 PM   #45
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Yup, because I haven't had cancer than nothing that could have ever happened to me could ever compare to it.

Subjectivity, my friend. Learn it. Things are only as horrible as you order them to be.

I'm not looking down on ANYBODY. Once again, disagreement = looking down on somebody. I just love this site more and more every day.

You don't NEED a counselor to get through depression, and you don't NEED medications. It's just the easy way.

But let's go on making assumptions. You're assuming OP is depressed. I'm assuming OP is a fuggo that no girl would ever be interested in, so it's easier to blame it on "depression."
Mental health is a very complex situation, it's kind of a continuum. On one end you have "the blues" and on the other end you'd have "major depression," and if the individual has the criteria stated in the DSM, then they may very well be suffering from depression. SSRI's in conjunction with counseling may be the only situation. SSRI's are not fun to be on either, they take weeks to kick in and have pretty nasty side effects. So I don't think it's the easy way out, it can be a challenging struggle.

In the OP's case, we have no idea whether or not it's depression because we don't know him so we can't pass judgements.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Last edited by jamescw1234 : 10-25-2010 at 11:21 PM.