MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
defered exam marks? jackiemac Academics 0 06-25-2010 09:48 AM
Exam Marks Release Date xxsumz Academics 17 04-21-2010 08:15 PM
calculating approximate final exam marks xo.monica Academics 1 01-08-2010 08:56 PM
Defered exam marks? SugarySnack Academics 2 02-28-2009 09:31 PM
Final Exam marks Daisydawne18 Academics 8 12-06-2008 10:41 AM

Exam Marks

Old 12-24-2009 at 11:28 AM   #16
sunny

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Mistakes happen...if you feel as though your grade is off the mark, email your professor and ask to set up an appointment to go in and physically see your exam. I believe you can do so for 6 months, or maybe a year after writing it (at which point they destroy/shred the exam).

I strongly encourage you to do this is you feel the grade is incorrect...I once went in to see my exam, found out I did quite well, then had my mark boosted from a 10 to a 12 just by pointing out that I did well on my exam. (It turns out the professor forgot to include my homework assignments in the grade calculation)
thanks for your advice mowicz. the prof has recognized the discrepancy, and is willing to change the mark next semester. all is well...
Old 12-24-2009 at 12:57 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Mistakes happen...if you feel as though your grade is off the mark, email your professor and ask to set up an appointment to go in and physically see your exam. I believe you can do so for 6 months, or maybe a year after writing it (at which point they destroy/shred the exam).

I strongly encourage you to do this is you feel the grade is incorrect...I once went in to see my exam, found out I did quite well, then had my mark boosted from a 10 to a 12 just by pointing out that I did well on my exam. (It turns out the professor forgot to include my homework assignments in the grade calculation)
Indeed.

In my first year I failed a first semester course, which given my grade on the exam and the midterm would have been impossible.

Turns out the prof "never received" a letter from my faculty excusing me from a midterm (which, ironically she did confirm she received after I initially sent it). So I had to go through the entire process again, and it took about two and a half months for the error to be fixed.

I went from a 0 to a 7. Quite the jump.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-24-2009 at 07:10 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, I think they should be obligated to post exam marks on ELM. Why is there a policy that they don't? You have to go through this whole process of setting up an appointment and yadda yadda, like why? :/
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:13 PM   #19
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Yeah, I think they should be obligated to post exam marks on ELM. Why is there a policy that they don't? You have to go through this whole process of setting up an appointment and yadda yadda, like why? :/
In an ideal world this would be best but with large courses, especially first year sciences or first year econ where the number of people taking the course can be 1300+, it is time consuming and the limited number of IA's and TA's just don't have the time to do this.

Not to mention the fact that alot of people see their exam marks and swear that they did better -- making the number of people who want to see their exam go up exponentially, making it even more of a hassle for the department to deal with the large sum of people wanting to see exams AFTER the course has finished and the professor and TAs have moved on to teach other courses.
Old 12-25-2009 at 12:21 AM   #20
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well it should be their privilege to see why they didn't do as well as they may have wanted to.

How am I, as a student, supposed to find out the optimal way to study for exams or at least what works for me when I have a huge range which my exam could be to get the mark I wanted.

For example, in Chemistry, I had about an 18% range that my mark could be to get the final mark I got. That doesn't really help.
Old 12-25-2009 at 12:22 AM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleilaxu View Post
In an ideal world this would be best but with large courses, especially first year sciences or first year econ where the number of people taking the course can be 1300+, it is time consuming and the limited number of IA's and TA's just don't have the time to do this.

Not to mention the fact that alot of people see their exam marks and swear that they did better -- making the number of people who want to see their exam go up exponentially, making it even more of a hassle for the department to deal with the large sum of people wanting to see exams AFTER the course has finished and the professor and TAs have moved on to teach other courses.
Yeah that makes sense... :/ It's just a pain though on the students part. Now we have to wait two weeks to see our final grades probably (assuming the Registrar really is closed and not updating marks till the 4th).