MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper years watching hypnotist rexelle General Discussion 1 09-10-2010 06:27 AM
Upper years in residence macbaby07 Residence & Housing 28 03-14-2010 01:05 PM
A question for upper years regarding difficulty of University Alchemist11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 11-05-2009 02:42 PM
Meeting Upper Years JY123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 09-11-2009 03:56 PM
Res for Upper Years Kevin Residence & Housing 2 05-17-2008 06:14 PM

Exam Question - Upper years Help!!

Old 10-09-2010 at 09:11 PM   #1
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Exam Question - Upper years Help!!
I thoroughly understand lecture content, however, i have not done the readings for a mid-term (tuesday).

I asked the prof what my standing is (understand lecture content w/o readings), he says... i am in trouble. is he just trying to scare me, or?

Btw, the class is Geo 1HB3
Old 10-09-2010 at 09:26 PM   #2
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Dr. Mercier (your professor), tests compose mostly of content straight from lectures. I will warn you (as your TA's should have been doing by now), that Mercier will expect WORD FOR WORD answers, as he gave in lectures.

If he asks for a definition, you damned-well better give it the exact way he said in lecture, or you will only get half-marks.

That being said, the textbook is a very valuable resource. It, normally, is used to re-inforce content taught in lectures. In addition, this course specifically will have some questions which were never even referenced to in the lectures. I would say the break up is about 80-20 in favour of purely lecture questions vs. textbook. This can obviously vary though.

tl;dr: If you are confident you can get 100% on the lecture part (which, I guarantee you, you will miss at least one), you can still do just fine. As an extra note, there is normally at least one question with a political map of the world, asking you to identify countries. Knowing the America's, and major countries around the world (China, Australia, Russia, etc.) location will be a definite asset.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2010 at 09:28 PM   #3
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHopeful View Post
I thoroughly understand lecture content, however, i have not done the readings for a mid-term (tuesday).

I asked the prof what my standing is (understand lecture content w/o readings), he says... i am in trouble. is he just trying to scare me, or?

Btw, the class is Geo 1HB3
Professors rarely try to scare individuals. If he says your in trouble, than your in trouble. You still have time, grab an energy drink and start reading.
Old 10-09-2010
mohammyt
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-09-2010 at 10:01 PM   #4
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
Dr. Mercier (your professor), tests compose mostly of content straight from lectures. I will warn you (as your TA's should have been doing by now), that Mercier will expect WORD FOR WORD answers, as he gave in lectures.

If he asks for a definition, you damned-well better give it the exact way he said in lecture, or you will only get half-marks.

That being said, the textbook is a very valuable resource. It, normally, is used to re-inforce content taught in lectures. In addition, this course specifically will have some questions which were never even referenced to in the lectures. I would say the break up is about 80-20 in favour of purely lecture questions vs. textbook. This can obviously vary though.

tl;dr: If you are confident you can get 100% on the lecture part (which, I guarantee you, you will miss at least one), you can still do just fine. As an extra note, there is normally at least one question with a political map of the world, asking you to identify countries. Knowing the America's, and major countries around the world (China, Australia, Russia, etc.) location will be a definite asset.

Good luck.
thanks, brah. he said we won't have a map. alright, going to start studying tomorrow, maybe tonight.
Old 10-09-2010 at 11:21 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

From what I remember when I took 1HB3 the test was really easy. He even told us what was on the midterm. I think it was like 15-20 definitions but 5 or so were really on the midterm and other things. In terms of reading the textbook I never really bothered mostly just skimmed and still did pretty well.
Old 10-10-2010 at 12:06 AM   #6
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

geog 1hb3... i took it last term and the test literally took me 10 minutes to finish. just study your notes and you should be fine.
Old 10-12-2010 at 03:43 PM   #7
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Last year I took 1HB3 and i did fine without studying and vaguely paying attention in lecture. Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2010 at 05:06 PM   #8
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Took it last year as well - for both the mid term and the exam all I used were my lecture notes, and I got an amazing mark.
I think he said that only one question was based of the readings, so you should be fine.