MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freshman MacFOOTBALL Introduce Yourself 8 08-13-2010 03:56 PM
Webinar On Freshman Life Chad MacInsiders Announcements 32 07-12-2009 10:35 PM
Living Expenses?? binbrook23 General Discussion 12 07-03-2009 07:09 PM
Residence Survival - Freshman Fifteen lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 19 05-14-2008 10:32 AM

Expenses of an International Freshman

Old 08-14-2009 at 02:10 PM   #16
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If I were you Afzal, I'd carry it in cash. That sounds crazy, I know, but the thing with debit that I've noticed is that, a few small purchases don't seem like much when you're swiping a card, but when you're breaking a $100 bill, you think twice. If you put in a wallet and handle your money safely, it should be no problem. I've carried that amount with me occasionally and I didn't lose it. Then again, you may be a very responsible spender and a debit card or credit card as Danielle mentioned may be more up your alley.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Afzal says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:16 PM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Afzal, for clothes shopping, there is a used clothes (and LOTS of other stuff) store called Value Village that is absolutely invaluable! I am not too familiar with Hamilton, but they are all over Canada, and are usually filled with very, very good quality items, at very good prices. You can outfit yourself for all seasons for very little money. In my opinion, smart people shop here (and you'd be surprised at who shops here!)

Actually, there is one; here is a link http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/hamil...e/1425963.html

And here is a link about the stores in general: http://www.valuevillage.com/

Edit: sorry...Giant Tiger (I know there is one in Hamilton) is also just fabulous - inexpensive (and often brandname) clothing, stationary, school supplies, homeware, food, etc
I'll keep those names in my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Yup . One more reason why I love it!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
If I were you Afzal, I'd carry it in cash. That sounds crazy, I know, but the thing with debit that I've noticed is that, a few small purchases don't seem like much when you're swiping a card, but when you're breaking a $100 bill, you think twice. If you put in a wallet and handle your money safely, it should be no problem. I've carried that amount with me occasionally and I didn't lose it. Then again, you may be a very responsible spender and a debit card or credit card as Danielle mentioned may be more up your alley.
hmm, I think I'll see how I fare doing that in the early days, consult a bit then decide further

just the last question:
How much do i want to keep in the bank account, if suppose I'm using credit card? (i would have to learn a lot if I want to use it though )

Last edited by Afzal : 08-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:29 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

In a given month, you'd enough in your account to pay for any credit card bills you have as well as any minimum amounts needed for your account (some are as high as $1000 or you pay additional fees).

So...if you're planning on spending/playing with around $100 a week you'd need possibly close to $1500 at any given time.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Afzal says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:34 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well for one they wouldn't initially give you a credit card! Even with a guarantor I wasn't given one by TD. But I personally would avoid Credit Cards until it is completely neccesary, people can reaaally lose control!

As for Wintery stuff, I personally used Two Shirts, A $27 MSU hoodie over it and then a Gerry Jacket over it and Gigantic Gloves, It was still cold but I managed. By the time second semester rolled around I was comfortable enough to use the same combination but with less bulky Upper Jackets(I had this no name one bought in China, a Lee Spring Jacket etc) but then again I kind of adapted into not feeling so cold in just 6 months so it depends!

As for the rain, I'm pretttyy sure you won't ever use an umberella being from Karachi, I just used my MSU hoodie but it used to get wet so I got one of those WindBreakers on sale for $20. It wasn't advertised as rain repellant but the rain sort of slides of it since its made of PVC, so try getting any hoodie jacket made of plasticky/pvc type stuff they don't absorb the rain!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Afzal says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:38 PM   #20
Afzal
Android Dev

thanks lorend, i think i'll be staying indoors studying mostly but who knows...i guess i'll just start from $90 or $100 per week and then lower every month until I'm satisfied that it's not too much

huzaifa, I think I'm gonna get used to it pretty soon too, I went to a northern city here having around 10C last year and was ok in less than a week! I guess layering is the secret to keep away from cold

Thank you everyone: jesus, jhan, lorend, bushra, daisy, huzaifa

That about sums up all the concerns I have for now I'm still open to all advices since I'm going to need them

Edit: oh wait, what about halal food? since I'm a Muslim...I can only eat halal food, is it available easily? (I did fill in the Special Acommadations form. Also I saw a Muslim student organization kinda thing's site last month so i assume there is a mosque in Hamilton? and I read about the prayer timings...are fasting days really hard considering a 18 hour period?!

Last edited by Afzal : 08-14-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:23 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There is halal food available on campus. Because I haven't lived on campus for awhile, and am not Muslim I'm not sure of all of the locations. I know Your Healthy Choice in Commons has it, and I think Creation X in MUSC (the student center) does too...but other than that I'm not too sure.

There is a large Muslim population on campus, so you will find lots of support from other students (first years and upper-year student leaders) on campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Afzal says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:25 PM   #22
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

There is halal food available on campus and some places off campus too. As for banking I would recommend going with PC (pcfinancial.ca) since there are no fees and it a checking account (free checks for rent and other things).
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:28 PM   #23
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
There is halal food available on campus and some places off campus too. As for banking I would recommend going with PC (pcfinancial.ca) since there are no fees and it a checking account (free checks for rent and other things).
what about them having problems exchanging from USD?
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:31 PM   #24
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post

Edit: oh wait, what about halal food? since I'm a Muslim...I can only eat halal food, is it available easily? (I did fill in the Special Acommadations form. Also I saw a Muslim student organization kinda thing's site last month so i assume there is a mosque in Hamilton? and I read about the prayer timings...are fasting days really hard considering a 18 hour period?!
Halal Food, there are two choices at Commons/Student Centre(Beef/Chicken Burgers) then there is the Halal Roast Beef Sandwich. Halal Roast Beef Wrap/Sub anddd thats about it! I eat alot of Fries, Cheese Pizzas and Tuna/Salmon to avoid it as much as I can, but sometimes you really don't have a choice!

MacMSA is a pretty good club on campus: http://macmsa.com/ & http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108836092 212

I know a couple of execs in there and they are pretty nice people! They have a mosque with 5 time prayers on Campus as well as a free iftar on campus during Ramadan as well! I mean I haven't spent alot of time with them at all but I'm kinda sure they will be an ideal resource for you to feel at home culturally.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 08-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Afzal says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:41 PM   #25
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
what about them having problems exchanging from USD?
Im not sure about exchanging from USD. I suggest you email them or wait until you get here. You can always go with another bank they all tend to have student accounts.

Afzal says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 03:48 PM   #26
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Im not sure about exchanging from USD. I suggest you email them or wait until you get here. You can always go with another bank they all tend to have student accounts.
thanks, I'll check all of them soon
Old 08-14-2009 at 06:33 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well for one they wouldn't initially give you a credit card! Even with a guarantor I wasn't given one by TD. But I personally would avoid Credit Cards until it is completely neccesary, people can reaaally lose control!
I don't know... I think it's a good time to start building your credit...
Old 08-14-2009 at 06:40 PM   #28
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
They have issues with converting foreign currency. One of my friends tried to exchange canadian dollars to euros (fairly common) and they didn't let him. I tried to convert some of my money to USD for a trip, they wouldn't let me.

TD Canada trust has a no fee student account. I think it would be a better option for you and it's only a 2 minute bus ride or a 10-15 minute walk from campus.

Afzal says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:27 PM   #29
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't know... I think it's a good time to start building your credit...
I would need to get short lessons about how to use/not use a credit card, any sites you suggest?

by the way, in which of these can a student use his Meal Plan?
  • Basilique
  • Cedar's
  • Gino's Pizza
  • CreationX
  • Willy's Hotdog

they all serve halal according to MacMSA's site

Thanks
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:30 PM   #30
syaseen
Elite Member

Everything except willys hotdog and cedars.

Afzal says thanks to syaseen for this post.