MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freshman MacFOOTBALL Introduce Yourself 8 08-13-2010 03:56 PM
Webinar On Freshman Life Chad MacInsiders Announcements 32 07-12-2009 10:35 PM
Living Expenses?? binbrook23 General Discussion 12 07-03-2009 07:09 PM
Residence Survival - Freshman Fifteen lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 19 05-14-2008 10:32 AM

Expenses of an International Freshman

Old 08-14-2009 at 09:31 PM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think one rule for credit cards is all you need. Don't use your credit card if you don't have money to pay for it. Once you start working in the real world, it's a bit different because of having a stable income and what not.

CreationX is on campus and accepts meal cards (From your basic or flex accounts). Gino's Pizza is JUST off campus, right across the road and accept meal card (from your freedom account).

Afzal says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:33 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Oh right, I forgot about basilique. Here's the link:

http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/locations/offcampus.html

If you click on Locations -> on-campus, you can get a list of all the on-campus locations.

Afzal says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:59 PM   #33
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think one rule for credit cards is all you need. Don't use your credit card if you don't have money to pay for it. Once you start working in the real world, it's a bit different because of having a stable income and what not.

CreationX is on campus and accepts meal cards (From your basic or flex accounts). Gino's Pizza is JUST off campus, right across the road and accept meal card (from your freedom account).
I read this rule somewhere else too
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:07 PM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
I would need to get short lessons about how to use/not use a credit card, any sites you suggest?
The article I hyperlinked earlier explains a lot of things students do (and shouldn't): http://talentegg.ca/incubator/tag/credit-cards/ . There are some other articles within the article you can check out too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Afzal says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 10:14 PM   #35
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

checked it already and bookmarked

actually, that is the site I read that advice
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:09 PM   #36
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

but i say if u have the money to pay it off then use the credit card. u'll start to build ur credit rating from the get-go. it'll come in handy in the future. use it and then pay it off rite away, thats the way to go.
Old 08-15-2009 at 12:36 AM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizliz View Post
but i say if u have the money to pay it off then use the credit card. u'll start to build ur credit rating from the get-go. it'll come in handy in the future. use it and then pay it off rite away, thats the way to go.
That's exactly what I said... o.O
Old 08-16-2009 at 09:18 AM   #38
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well for one they wouldn't initially give you a credit card! Even with a guarantor I wasn't given one by TD. But I personally would avoid Credit Cards until it is completely neccesary, people can reaaally lose control!
The Bank of Nova Scotia will give students a credit card if they approve their guarantor. http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/conten...IDen,00. html I do think that a credit card is a good idea if a person uses it with incredible discretion and care, ie, only uses it if completely necessary, and pays it off completely when the bill comes. Building a credit rating is a good idea.

I also think that some people aren't able to handle this kind of financial responsibility (regardless of their age and stage in life!!!) and should avoid them at all costs, but for many people they can be a very useful tool Knowing one's self and being honest is really important when deciding what to do.

Last edited by daisy : 08-16-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add link

Afzal says thanks to daisy for this post.

huzaifa47, lorend like this.