MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
The Express Restarant ericvan1 Restaurants & Food Reviews 2 08-15-2013 10:08 AM
GO Express from Mississauga spoons First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-09-2009 08:56 PM
Hsr B-line Express To Leave Mac Chad ARCHIVES 73 02-02-2009 07:09 PM

Express Yourself

Express Yourself!

BY SABRINA BRADEY, MACINSIDERS

Do you like to think of yourself as an amateur photographer? Like to draw? Are you a Photoshop master? Do you write? Got a band in your garage?

Would you like to get some recognition for your artwork and/or music?

I would like to introduce you to some quick and easy ways to start getting your name out there in the art community. First on our lineup is Red Bubble.

Red Bubble is an online art community that allows you, the artist, to showcase your work and/or sell it to other users. You can sell your visual artwork in the form of Tee-Shirts, Greeting Cards, Wall art (stretched canvas) or on high quality print paper in various sizes. You can also showcase and sell the rights to stories and/or lyrics if you so choose.

Most of the imagery found on Red Bubble is of a high artistic quality but don’t let that daunt you! Red Bubble does ask that you upload work that you are very proud of and not half finished pieces but that doesn’t mean you have to be a pro in order to sell or get praise for your work.

There are many groups on Red Bubble and tons of those are dedicated to beginners like “Beginners’ Corner” and “Beginner’s Expressions”. Other groups include many different focuses. Some are dedicated to a specific art form, like digital drawings, t-shirt designs, candid’s, or location specific (Canadian Rocky Mountains, African Art and Writings). If you actually cannot find a group that you want to belong to, you can create your own.

If you don’t express yourself visually but instead musically then you should check out PureVolume. This is your opportunity to showcase your band and get some of your music out there on the internet.

PureVolume allows you to upload MP3’s and pictures of your band. You have a profile that will list the songs that you have uploaded and any information about the group.There is the option of telling fans where you'll be playing, if you’re on tour or not (if you are so inclined to be that awesome) and will display a message board for any friends/groupies that you may have acquired.

Many signed bands frequent PureVolume and if you’re lucky enough you just might get some recognition from one of them. PureVolume is also a great place to look for new music if you find that your play list is becoming a little redundant.

Finally, there is Facebook. Everyone knows it. Most people have it. Those of you who don’t…I salute you.
If you do have Facebook there are a few groups I would like to bring to your attention.

First are the photography groups that offer a challenge to you the artist.
4 Day Photography Contest” and “Photography Contest” are examples of these groups. Members vote on a theme each week and upload a max of 3 pictures that they believe follow this theme and then each member is allowed to vote for two days on their favourite photos. At the end of the week the votes are tallied and the top three are displayed and each admin has the option of picking their favourites.
Creative Writers and Bloggers” is a place to get opinions on pieces of your works and review the work of others. “Facebook’s Poets and Writers Registry” is a great group where their goal is to help you “find and post information about poetry organizations, publishing/small press, book releases, poetry contests and award info, festivals” etc.

If you know of any sites that showcase the everyday artist please feel free to add them to this list because no matter what your avenue of artistic expression there’s always something out there for you if you only look hard enough.
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-01-2008 at 10:56 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times
I made an account!!

http://www.redbubble.com/people/temarabrown YAY! =)

Old 06-02-2008 at 06:19 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
You're right about RedBubble. It IS easy!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-02-2008 at 06:44 AM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Why not mention DeviantArt?

Old 06-02-2008 at 01:38 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
DeviantArt is well known and it's much harder to sell your stuff on DevArt than it is on RedBubble. I personally also find the quality of art to be much higher on RedBubble than on Deviant Art but I'm glad you mentioned it anyway!

Old 06-03-2008 at 09:28 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Neat site. PureVolume is really good, I heard Red Jumpsuit Apparatus on there before they got big.

DeviantArt is a favourite, and I'd highly recommend just browsing through there.

If you're into colour schemes I'd also recommend www.colourlovers.com

Also, if you're wanting artsy tshirts try http://www.threadless.com they let users submit tshirt designs and they print new designs each week and have limited quantities so you get a 'rare' tshirt

Old 06-03-2008 at 09:39 AM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
Chad you're just full of information aren't you?
I'm surprised it doesn't leak out of your ears!

Old 06-03-2008 at 04:23 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
I currently have five threadless tshirts, and just bought two for myself this morning. And I haven given away four as gifts, which will soon be moving up to six when I get my order in the mail.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-03-2008 at 04:45 PM   #9
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times
on the topic of t-shirts, I'd recommend this one: http://www.cafepress.com/?CMP=KNC-G-EF

search for anything you might be interested in and they'll have designs for ya!.. it's where I got my crab back pack! Oh yes..

Article Tools