MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Letter of extenuating circumstances MoyashiSerena First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 02-22-2014 11:29 AM

Extenuating Circumstances

Old 04-28-2014 at 04:19 PM   #1
Ewmiddleton

Liked: 0 Times

Extenuating Circumstances
Hit there,

So I have applied to McMaster for Computer science for the upcoming semester, but I would like to get an honest opinion or some experience regarding how McMaster handles extenuating circumstances. I have been suffering from a medical condition, which I would not like to specify, for the past year and a half which has dramatically lowered my marks in high school, mostly due to my lack of ability to attend school essentially at all. My average right now is almost 10% lower then the cut off, which I know it a tremendous amount, but my marks from grade 11 greatly exceeded the average, and I have requested that the university consider those marks as a more accurate reflection of my abilities. I have provided proof of diagnosis and treatment, and have fulfilled all the criteria necessary for consideration under extenuating circumstances.

If you have any information regarding the typical treatment of these issues I would really appreciate It, thank you!
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:42 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The biggest thing that they tend to look for is that whatever circumstances were a problem before will not be a problem now - they want to see that things are being dealt with.
It tends to be considered on an individual basis, though, so it's hard to make generalizations.
I'm not sure if that helps at all - is there anything specific you are looking for?

Best of luck
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:58 PM   #3
Ewmiddleton

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you for help already, I believe I have expressed my improvement to them well. What I am really looking for is if you might know how much they are willing to overlook in the most extreme cases. My condition was very severe and I am just trying to figure out if they would even consider overlooking a grade difference from this year like mine.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2014 at 03:26 AM   #4
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

.5% lower, maybe, but 10% lower is not a marginal difference. When I applied to other universities, I had put in extenuating circumstances for parental death (Rotman Commerce) and it wasn't even an average problem, it was to explain why I was less involved and they still sent me an rejection. I hope they pass it for you though, but I would look for a victory lap to be more realistic or summer courses.