MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
letter of permission MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-20-2012 12:34 AM
Letter of Enrolment hellonewyork Academics 9 04-05-2012 10:14 AM
Reference Letter Alchemist11 Academics 2 09-19-2010 01:43 PM
Letter of permission shannon.d Academics 0 05-31-2010 10:14 AM

Letter of extenuating circumstances

Members have rated post #397264 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 02-19-2014 at 12:32 AM   #1
MoyashiSerena

Liked: 3 Times

Letter of extenuating circumstances
Hi everyone. I have a university letter question.~

I suffered with depression, social anxiety, insomnia, frequent nightmares, loss of connections and heart palpitations in grade eleven and part of grade twelve. While I still had a low-eighty average, this wasn't enough to get into nursing. I now have a 87% average after my super senior year and have gotten into Ryerson, my second choice school. I am still waiting on McMaster, which is my first choice. I REALLY want to get into McMaster as it is my dream school. Therefore I decided to work on a letter of extenuating circumstances describing what happened. My guidance counselor faxed in a extenuating circumstances letter and I also have one from my doctor. Apart from that, I have to finish writing my own explanation in a letter.

Here's the thing...writing this letter has been taking such a toll on me. I haven't been able to fall asleep till 3am every night and have lost a lot of my appetite. It isn't even so much writing the letter as it is the proofreading bit. I need someone to proofread my work for spelling errors when I am done. It can't be my parents, as they were against me doing the special circumstances bit (so I'm kinda hiding it). That leaves rather a friend or teacher. However, I haven't told anyone about what happened to me those two years and to have them read that letter would be...well...bad.

I don't like people I know learning about my past or mental disorders because it would change their view of me. The guidance counselors and such I have told almost seemed to pity me after or suddenly became overprotective and worried. So, I really, really don't want to show this letter to anyone I know. Yet if I don't have someone proofread it and the university notices spelling errors, it will make me look REALLY bad.

Any suggestions of who could proofread for me? As well, do you guys honestly believe I can get into Mac for nursing with a 87% average + doctor's/guidance counselor's notes + my letter?

MoyashiAlice is online now Report Post
Old 02-19-2014
MrPlinkett
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-19-2014 at 02:49 AM   #2
dani3041

Liked: 10 Times

I cannot comment on how admissions will treat your admission based on your circumstances, but I can offer you some suggestions for who could proofread it. Try a local library, often they will have a program set up to help youth with their writing. It might be embarrassing, so the fact a librarian is a stranger might help. You can maybe also even get your guidance councilors to look it over, though I can see if you think you have asked too much of them already.

Also, regardless of what you might think from the other comments the student body as a whole is much less ableist than any troll on some macinsider form. This is only my own personal experience though.

You should also try talking to SAS (Student Accesability Services) once you get to McMaster. I was diagnosed with Depression, and GAD this year and they have helped me with my academics. They can offer accommodations such as writing in a smaller room (25, 10, or 1 ?), extensions on assignments, no tests or assignents withing 24 hours, food in exams, dictionary during exams, use of computer during exams, extra writing time (even for online quizzes), and many other accommodations that may remove some of the road blocks you might face as a student who struggles with their mental health. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk about my own personal experience with SAS.

And many of my friends are nice enough to help me proofread, but if you have trouble asking for help there are ways to get stuff proofread at Mac. This is only once you are at Mac though, but I don't want you to think there aren't options here. without paying. There are many first year seminars to help with your writing, you should look out for them during the first few weeks of each term. Also, if you are registered as a student with disability (and yes depression, and social anxiety are enough to qualify) you can get a grant )so you never have to pay it back) for tutors through OSAP. This is only if you qualify foe OSAP and disability status, you can also get a few other things covered, such as a livescribe pen. The tutors will be free and you can get them to proofread for you.

I do hope you get in though, sounds like you really tried hard. I'm rooting for you.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to dani3041 for this post.

arokh likes this.
Old 02-19-2014 at 03:58 AM  
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by MrPlinkett.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 02-19-2014 at 06:27 AM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

PM it to me, I'll proof it for you/help you out with it. I've helped with a lot of letters like this in the past.

Sidenote: have you applied to MoMac nursing? You only pay Mohawk fees, so it's cheaper, but all your classes are on Mac campus and you graduate with the same degree. That's the route my best friend took, and he had his pick of nursing jobs when he graduated. Food for thought!

MoyashiSerena says thanks to Kudos for this post.

arokh likes this.
Old 02-19-2014 at 08:01 AM   #4
MoyashiSerena

@MrPlinkett
Sorry, I guess I didn't specify enough on a few things so it made it seem like I was whining a bit. I do still have a mental disorder; social anxiety disorder. However it is way better then it used to be. I can talk to strangers/colleagues when it comes to work or school. It's only when the interactions are more personal, such as someone asking me out on a date, do I become nervous/uncomfortable. As well, I have gone through the whole allnighters, nocturnal panic attacks and insomnia periods. So I apologize if the 3am comment seemed insensitive.

@dani3041
Thanks so much for the advice. It's great that Mac has some great mental health programs available. As well, the library is a great place to get some proofreading done! I will check there after school, thanks.

@Kudos
That is a very, very kind offer. However, I know how hard it is for people in university to keep up with the intense class homework so I don't want to bother you. It's okay, I can find someone in the neighborhood who can help. But again, thanks so much, it means a lot to me that a stranger on this site is this willing to help.

Entropy, romita sur like this.
Old 02-19-2014 at 08:45 AM   #5
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

[quote=MrPlinkett;3972 30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani3041 View Post
Also, regardless of what you might think from the other comments the student body as a whole is much less ableist than any troll on some macinsider form. This is only my own personal experience though.
/QUOTE]

Hey! She didn't tell if she had a mental disorder or a disability. How do you know she needs to go to the accessibility services?

Imagine if every single university student decides to go there, simply because they suffer from insomnia or stress or depression.

Stress and education are obviously unrelated, and any sigh of headache must be reported to the councillor. We wouldn't want you to have a headache, would we?
Depression isn't a mental disorder? It's arrogant people like you who preserve the stigma against treatment for mental health. Might as well tell someone with diabetes that they just have to pull themselves together and deal with it.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to Amaryll for this post.

Old 02-19-2014 at 09:05 AM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've said it before: Please don't count Plinkett among the ranks of Engineers or Engineering Alumni --- he is the furthest from representative.

Good luck Serena

MoyashiSerena says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

Entropy, Nguyedt3 like this.
Old 02-19-2014 at 12:48 PM   #7
MoyashiSerena

@mike 302
Thanks for the support.
Old 02-19-2014
MrPlinkett
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-19-2014 at 02:13 PM   #8
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

I will just break it to you, I don't think it seems possible that an extenuating circumstance can let you override that percentage difference if nursing takes an 89 and you have an 87. I remember I applied to Rotman U of T last year, and I had close family deaths and depression and shiet. That wasn't even because I didn't have the average, it was because they said my supplementary wasn't sufficient.

Now I was never pissed at them because you have to understand that they have admission standards to maintain, and if every student starts pulling the "I have depression" they will be in deep crap. So I wish you luck!

MoyashiSerena says thanks to allanandthera for this post.
Old 02-19-2014 at 02:29 PM   #9
Omar36

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Depression is hardly a mental disorder. Alzheimers is a disorder. If you shit yourself and start throwing feces onto walls, that's a mental disorder. Depression is temporary condition solved with beer, drugs and time.

You obviously never went to mental ward to see real disorder.

Yes, coz profile on macinsiders always tells you the truth and nothing but the truth.

I'm not sorry for being cynical. If stressed teenagers start to ask other people to solve their problems, they won't have the strength to handle adult life shit.

Also what makes you think she's ill? For all you know, she could be just making everything up playing on your heart strings to do shit for her.
so your saying because depression does not fit the criteria of something you see in a mental institution, it isn't a real disorder? fact ii is real and can be treated using meds like u stated (lol alcohol does seem like a viable treatment imo) but it is cured in an individual cases. Some last longer then others and some dont respond to treatment. i understand your point in saying how she shouldn't use it an an excuse but clearly it effects her ability in school.
Good luck to the OP, hope you get in.
Old 02-19-2014 at 02:30 PM   #10
Omar36

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Depression is hardly a mental disorder. Alzheimers is a disorder. If you shit yourself and start throwing feces onto walls, that's a mental disorder. Depression is temporary condition solved with beer, drugs and time.

You obviously never went to mental ward to see real disorder.

Yes, coz profile on macinsiders always tells you the truth and nothing but the truth.

I'm not sorry for being cynical. If stressed teenagers start to ask other people to solve their problems, they won't have the strength to handle adult life shit.

Also what makes you think she's ill? For all you know, she could be just making everything up playing on your heart strings to do shit for her.
so your saying because depression does not fit the criteria of something you see in a mental institution, it isn't a real disorder? fact ii is real and can be treated using meds like u stated (lol alcohol does not seem like a viable treatment imo) but it is cured in an individual cases. Some last longer then others and some dont respond to treatment. i understand your point in saying how she shouldn't use it an an excuse but clearly it affects her ability in school.
Good luck to the OP, hope you get in.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to Omar36 for this post.
Old 02-19-2014 at 03:39 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

1. Extenuating circumstances with such a low average is not likely to phase them. If you were already a student here and it was a matter of not getting kicked out, I would have more hope for that.
2. MoMac Nursing > McMaster Nursing.
3. I enjoy reading and writing essays, I would be happy to proofread and/or suggest changes and have a background with mental health issues so I suppose I could offer some insight.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 02-19-2014 at 03:41 PM   #12
dani3041

Liked: 10 Times

Depression and clinical depression or major depressive disorder are not always the same thing. If someone is feeling depressed there is often a cause and effect relationship, and it will be short term. If someone has been diagnosed with depression (or could be diagnosed with depression) the symptoms will be chronic. Depression isn't always temporary. Drugs and alcohol are potentially very dangerous as it can simulate the feelings a person is trying to escape from, or lead to suicidal thoughts, and should not be used to self medicate.

If any person feels these are normal feeling they should consider seeking support and information. Chronic depression, and chronic anxiety can have a severe impact on your everyday life and academics. The school has many different places to find information and support, such as: The MAD Student Society, The SWELL, SWC, there is also a peer support line, and SHEC and the QSCC both offer peer support services. Many of these services can be used by people feeling depressed or anxiety without being diagnosed, or ever having to get diagnosed.

There is too much to talk about, and quite frankly this post is not suppose to be about mental health. I'm going to apologize for perhaps taking the form off track a little and giving in to obvious troll bait, but I just needed to address that.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to dani3041 for this post.