MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hospital Volunteering: reference letters needed? rexelle Volunteering Opportunities 6 08-23-2010 12:14 PM
job reference? littleluzer Volunteering Opportunities 5 07-10-2010 09:01 PM
Letter of permission shannon.d Academics 0 05-31-2010 10:14 AM
Letter of Permission (Eng) cowcow Academics 3 04-24-2010 03:42 PM
Academic Letter of Reference cowpuppy Academics 13 01-23-2010 09:02 AM

Reference Letter

Old 09-15-2010 at 09:43 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Reference Letter
Hey guys,
So can anyone tell me what the protocol is for reference letters?

Is three a solid number of references to have?

Also, a reference letter from someone would not count as a reference unless (for example, the potential employer), would be able to contact them, correct? In other words, if I have a reference letter, I can't put down the person who wrote that letter as a reference unless they know that a potential employer is going to contact them about me?

If that's the case, I should have three references that an employer can call/email - then what are reference letters used for? Just for applications for professional school (as an example)?

What do you suggest as a good mix for references? I'm thinking one professional/volunteering, one academic, one personal (neighbour or family friend)...

How would one go about receiving a reference letter or having a reference in the form of a professor?

Thanks for any help
Old 09-15-2010 at 09:52 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

A reference letter is a sort of "prepared reference". When you give an employer your references, they're going to ask certain questions regarding your personality (work ethics, communication skills etc.). A reference letter should have these all ready answered in it.

If a job asks for a reference, then give them references, if it asks for reference letters, then you gotta get reference letters. Personally, I wouldn't wanna substitute them for each other.

Reference letters are sometimes used for upper level jobs, and executive positions. Sometimes, they are provided by your previous employer upon your resignation (provided you left in good terms).

To get one from a prof, you should speak with them personally.

And for medical school (cuz i know why you're asking this), the requirements for reference (aka "referee statements) are outlined in the OMSAS application guide.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 09-19-2010 at 01:43 PM   #3
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times

Make sure that if you are interested in Graduate School or Medical school (esp. in US), it is helpful to have more than one Prof reference. Some US Med Schools even ask for 3, and they are specific about it (ex. 2 science profs). Stay in touch with Profs regularly. You don't want to be stressing out last minute for a reference because you never bothered to even visit them in office hours or speak up in class (like me).
Good luck