MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reference Letter Alchemist11 Academics 2 09-19-2010 01:43 PM
Hospital Volunteering: reference letters needed? rexelle Volunteering Opportunities 6 08-23-2010 12:14 PM
job reference? littleluzer Volunteering Opportunities 5 07-10-2010 09:01 PM
Letter of permission shannon.d Academics 0 05-31-2010 10:14 AM
reinstatement letter ali999 Academics 2 06-04-2009 10:26 AM

Academic Letter of Reference

Old 01-20-2010 at 10:25 PM   #1
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Academic Letter of Reference
Has anyone had any experience obtaining an academic letter of reference? What were the circumstances of this?

I don't understand how we should be able to expected to have anyone to use as an academic letter of reference in university level, since most students do not have the opportunity to get to know their professors in an academic capacity (aside form the profs knowing what marks they obtained).
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:29 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You need academic letters of reference for any grad or professional school program.

I've asked for letters from four different profs now, all of whom knew me well as students. I could ask for some from a few more (one for sure at present, one definitely by the end of term) and obtain them quite easily.

It is your responsibility to establish a student-professor relationship with your educator; often that is done through class discussions and the like. The point of asking for these references is in part academic, but also your character traits -- are you personable, handle stress well, etc. Again, all things you need in grad or professional schools.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-20-2010 at 10:52 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

lorend, how did you go about getting one? Did you just go up to the prof and ask for a reference letter? Did you know them well and go to their office hours alot?
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:06 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
lorend, how did you go about getting one? Did you just go up to the prof and ask for a reference letter? Did you know them well and go to their office hours alot?
It actually depended on the prof as to how well they know me, but I asked them all the same way, which was via email. That way if they can't manage to (or don't want to) write the letter for you it's less awkward for you in person.

One prof I only went to their office hours once, but they were my prof for a seminar (less than 20 students). Since there were so few of us, and I contributed quite a bit, she knew me pretty well.

One prof had me in a 6 unit class (about 60 students), and the following year I asked her to be my thesis prof, since her research interests were similar to mine. I dropped by her office off and on a few times in the last year or so since to say hi.

One prof I was in a class (around 100 students) with a performance component, and then had major issues with a group member, and then went to their office hours to get help for an essay based on the performance. Two years later I had her for a seminar, and she remembered me right away.

And the last one...I had three times: twice in classes around 60-70, one in a class about 12). They were pretty good at trying to remember names, and since I would participate regularly they got to know me better. I didn't go to their office hours too often though. Getting involved in an organization tied into the department helped a lot too. I've got the prof again this term (I think there are 14 of us), so he knows me quite well.

The last prof (who I think would be a reference, if I asked) I had four times in three terms. One of my classes had only eight students, another about 20, one 60-70, and this term seven again. They see me hanging around the department a lot too, so they know me pretty well as a student.

There are also profs I would have asked if they still went here (one retired, one was a CLA and lost their position, and the other is a director), and were easy to get a hold of.

Wow, that was a long-winded reply.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

manu says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:07 PM   #5
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

How did you go about getting to know your prof?

As an engineering student there's not really much opportunity for discussion. And most engineering students probably wouldn't have time for any lab assistant work, at least not in their first or second year of uni when they are just getting into the swing of things.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:10 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
How did you go about getting to know your prof?

As an engineering student there's not really much opportunity for discussion. And most engineering students probably wouldn't have time for any lab assistant work, at least not in their first or second year of uni when they are just getting into the swing of things.
Go to class, participate in discussion etc (already mentioned; don't think you saw the post).

I have a feeling getting involved in faculty societies will be helpful; I'll get an Engineer I know to post here...

Old 01-20-2010 at 11:19 PM   #7
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

cowpuppy,

I have asked for letters of reference from professors twice. Once was for work, once was for reinstatement into engineering. I will admit that it will be a bit hard in first year to get a letter unless you are really involved, but It can be done. Even if you don't have have a particular connection with a professor yet, there are two routes you can go.

1. Pick a course you have your best mark in, the professor has that information, and though it is limited, it can be useful for a letter.

2. Pick a professor that there is a course you presented something in. There are numerous presentations and mini presentations in first year, so you will get a chance to have your prof remember you somewhat.

With all that, in the future you wont have as much of a problem. Once you go into a program, class sizes will be smaller, and you will likely connect with at least one of your professors for whatever reason. It could be anything from talking about the lecture at the end of class and asking further questions, going to office hours, etc. It isn't as hard and intimidating as it sounds to approach them. They're typically nice people (even the tough ones).
Old 01-21-2010 at 05:31 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

What year are you in?
I'm in fourth year, so it was easy to ask my profs for reference letters. Both profs were my seminar professors, so the class was less than 15 people.

Some advice my profs gave us about reference letters:

1. Send an email to the prof a few days in advance and let them know you want to stop by during their office hours to talk about reference letters. This allows the prof time to think about whether or not they want to write you one, instead of having to make a quick decision right infront of you.

2. Give the prof a decent amount of time to write the letter - at least a month.

3. If the prof says yes, email them all the information, and print it out and put it in their mailbox. Give your prof the reference forms needed to fill out (if there are any), a copy of your resume, a writing sample, your letter of intent (if there is one) and a list of schools the letters are for and each of their deadlines.

4. You can email the prof when it's getting close to the deadline to remind them. This isn't rude - they'll most likely appreciate a reminder because they are busy. I don't know what your letter of recommendation is for, but if it's for grad school - don't feel bad asking! Writing reference letters is part of a professor's job, and they usually have no problem doing it.
Old 01-21-2010 at 08:23 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Writing reference letters is part of a professor's job, and they usually have no problem doing it.
I don't think it's in the job description...

Old 01-21-2010 at 09:26 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I don't think it's in the job description...
That's what my professor told me. Maybe it depends on the faculty/program how willing the prof is?
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:59 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Perhaps.

But I think it is like any other hierarchal relationship (like in the working world) -- the person above never has to write a reference, but in a lot of cases should.

Old 01-22-2010 at 12:13 AM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, I think it also depends on your classes. I mean my smallest class is maybe 200 people, but on average it's about 350 per lecture. It's kind of difficult to become best buds with your professor.
Old 01-22-2010 at 11:56 AM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Perhaps.

But I think it is like any other hierarchal relationship (like in the working world) -- the person above never has to write a reference, but in a lot of cases should.
I think what he meant by "it's part of the job" was kind of like, "We get asked so much so we always make time for it and it's not a hassle".

I'm sure it's not in the actual job description, but I doubt here are many (fourth year seminar) profs who would say no to writing a reference letter for a student they know well enough.
Old 01-23-2010 at 09:02 AM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

I just want to point out, as someone who had to ask for reference letters on a few different occasions, it will feel like you're bothering them...but that's ok. It will also feel like a massive chore, but you've just got to get over that and ask.

Someone wrote reference letters for them back in the day...so they'll return the favour.