Facebook Stalking niteskie General Discussion 29 09-13-2009 06:54 AM
New Facebook Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-23-2007 03:40 PM

Facebook Gold

Old 02-07-2010 at 10:53 PM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Facebook Gold
Has anyone else heard of Facebook Gold? It popped up in my news feed today (in place of a photo, telling me I need a Facebook Gold account to see it).

On the internet all I can find is rumours. Anyone know anything?
Old 02-07-2010 at 10:56 PM   #2
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Has anyone else heard of Facebook Gold? It popped up in my news feed today (in place of a photo, telling me I need a Facebook Gold account to see it).

On the internet all I can find is rumours. Anyone know anything?
It's a joke. a bad, bad joke. i.e. the person uploads an entire album of "Facebook Gold" photos and sits back and laughs while all the friends they tag in said photos wonder what a Facebook Gold account is, and how to get one.
Old 02-07-2010 at 10:59 PM   #3
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

I heard they started disabling accounts for the people who were doing it, but those might have been temporary just so facebook could remove the pics.
Old 02-07-2010 at 11:19 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Even on the internet, I'm the last one to know something. D:

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 11:22 PM   #5
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Wow, I thought it was a Facebook with special privileges for people willing to pay. o_O
Old 02-07-2010 at 11:31 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
Wow, I thought it was a Facebook with special privileges for people willing to pay. o_O
Lmao. That's a DISGUSTING idea.
Effing facebook is so useless. You gotta be a bloody wanker to pay for it.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 02-08-2010 at 12:10 AM   #7
KayakerDan

Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me if Facebook did something like that!
Old 02-08-2010 at 12:16 AM   #8
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me if Facebook did something like that!
Facebook would never do that, people would be in an outrage.
Old 02-08-2010 at 02:17 AM   #9
Abid.Hasan

4chan gold accounts is a decent meme. You can only go in so many directions but there are some good turns to be had.
Old 02-08-2010 at 06:36 AM   #10
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
Facebook would never do that, people would be in an outrage.
People would be pissed off, true... but there's no shortage of people who are so heinously addicted that they would be crippled socially and emotionally without it. Facebook could make huge money.
Old 02-08-2010 at 08:32 AM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Its less of a joke and more of an attempt to get people to download a junky application. There are a lot of them.

EDIT: Also, facebook would make a lot less money if they started charging. They need tonnes of people to sign up because their business model is based around collecting large amounts of data so they can sell personalized ads. Introducing pay accounts would hinder that too much.

Last edited by Marlowe : 02-08-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2010 at 08:38 AM   #12
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Its less of a joke and more of an attempt to get people to download a junky application. There are a lot of them.

EDIT: Also, facebook would make a lot less money if they started charging. They need tonnes of people to sign up because their business model is based around collecting large amounts of data so they can sell personalized ads. Introducing pay accounts would hinder that too much.
Not so. It was an attempt by the members of several internet organizations (4chan, reddit, digg, etc.) to try and scare the kind of people that join "Facebook is going paid" groups.
Old 02-08-2010 at 08:47 AM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Oh, my mistake then. I saw applications for it several times, but they probably sprung up after that.
Old 02-08-2010 at 09:31 AM   #14
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post

All facebook has to do is follow the "Gold membership" idea. Accounts would still be free, but some advanced functions would be available only to paid users. They could charge a couple of bucks a month, and they would clean up. I'm not saying they should or will do this, but I believe there are tons of people who would pay for it.

I personally can't even figure out how to work basic functions anymore, as they keep changing the layout on me, so I definitely wouldn't pay for more.
Old 02-08-2010 at 11:56 AM   #15
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Agreed, I don't even use anything other than walls and photos. The layout changes as soon as I get used to it.