MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
have physics 1b03. want math 1b03 or econ 1b03 hanj37 Academics 4 01-03-2013 06:46 AM
Failed 1st year Math 1Za3 and physics adeeb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 01-04-2012 11:11 PM

failed physics 1b03

Old 05-07-2013 at 09:23 PM   #1
ab299

Liked: 1 Time

failed physics 1b03
The title pretty much explains it. I failed physics 1b03. Super disappointing considering I did fairly well in my other courses. What should i do? I don't want to seem like a med school or nothing kind of person, but I was keeping med school in my list of possible options. I'm incredibly mad at myself, even though I studied the most I could. I'm thinking of doing it in summer school, however I'm going to be working up north as a camp counselor for most of the summer, so online would be my best option. Should I do it online?
Old 05-07-2013 at 09:31 PM   #2
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

Why don't you try Physics 1L03? As far as I know, Ontario Med schools don't need 1B03
Old 05-07-2013 at 09:33 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

It's okay, I know the feeling. I failed Math 1A03 first year while I got pretty good marks in everything else. I was so down. I did the course again during the summer I believe and got a 6.

First year is nothing to worry about. I just graduated from Honours Biology with distinction and got accepted to three dental schools in Canada.

Don't let such stupid courses get you down. Do it again during this summer. Hopefully, you will be a) more free to focus on understanding the material more and b) more motivated to do better.

Good luck and dont give up! I know the feeling

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 05-07-2013 at 09:40 PM   #4
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Don't let such stupid courses get you down.
Why is physics 1b03 a stupid course? Because the OP failed it or because you don't like physics?
Old 05-07-2013 at 09:43 PM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Because introductory first year courses are always not testing your actual understanding of the field. Regardless of the field itself.
Not just physics, but all first year introductory courses are stupid in nature.

EDIT: I don't believe your comment is in any way trying to help the OP. So if you have nothing useful to say please refrain from commenting. Thanks.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 05-07-2013 at 09:54 PM   #6
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Physics 1B03...*shivers
Old 05-07-2013 at 11:38 PM   #7
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

If you found physics 1b03 during the year too difficult (or maybe you prioritized other courses instead of physics) then taking it in summer would be a good choice. If you don't want the mark averaged between the old attempt and new one then taking it online is a perfectly good option. Athabasca is a very popular place to take it though there are others; just confirm with the associate dean's office.

Some advice for the course itself, memorizing how to do questions is something people tend to do when taking physics/math courses and it is not something that I would recommend personally. Reading the material and understanding is more important than just trying to memorize how to do dozens of different problems; but that is just my advice.

Good luck and have a great summer!
Old 05-08-2013 at 06:44 AM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
If you found physics 1b03 during the year too difficult (or maybe you prioritized other courses instead of physics) then taking it in summer would be a good choice. If you don't want the mark averaged between the old attempt and new one then taking it online is a perfectly good option. Athabasca is a very popular place to take it though there are others; just confirm with the associate dean's office.

Some advice for the course itself, memorizing how to do questions is something people tend to do when taking physics/math courses and it is not something that I would recommend personally. Reading the material and understanding is more important than just trying to memorize how to do dozens of different problems; but that is just my advice.

Good luck and have a great summer!
How is it beneficial to take the course elsewhere so the grades aren't averaged?
Assuming you do better the second time.
A fail plus a pass gives you an averaged grade of somewhere above a fail.
If you take the course elsewhere and it doesn't average out with the fail, then you're left with just the fail contributing to your average with nothing to bring it up.
If you're using your marks for applying to another school, they'll deal with the two courses the same way they would if you had taken them both times at Mac.
Also, you need a higher grade than 50% to transfer the credit over to Mac - I think it's 60%? And if you already failed once, getting that grade while teaching yourself the course isn't really a sure thing. I doubt you'd want another fail on your record.
Old 05-08-2013 at 11:07 AM   #9
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

It is beneficial to take the course online if you can't take the course during the summer and don't really care about the course. If all a person wants is the credit then taking it online has merit over taking it during the year. Considering that the OP is gonna be working up north during the summer, and probably would not be able to dedicate the proper time to a summer course at Mac; maybe not even be able to attend the course due to timing conflicts then online is a good option. Of course taking it during the year is an option though that method eats up one of your elective slots. Also it sounded it like the OP isn't too fond of physics or at least struggled with it during the year and while summer is easier than normal year, it is still a tough course for a lot of people. He might be better off just doing the course online and not worrying about the mark and just getting the credit.
Old 05-08-2013 at 06:53 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
It is beneficial to take the course online if you can't take the course during the summer and don't really care about the course. If all a person wants is the credit then taking it online has merit over taking it during the year. Considering that the OP is gonna be working up north during the summer, and probably would not be able to dedicate the proper time to a summer course at Mac; maybe not even be able to attend the course due to timing conflicts then online is a good option. Of course taking it during the year is an option though that method eats up one of your elective slots. Also it sounded it like the OP isn't too fond of physics or at least struggled with it during the year and while summer is easier than normal year, it is still a tough course for a lot of people. He might be better off just doing the course online and not worrying about the mark and just getting the credit.
Those are benefits of taking an online course in general but I was referring to the part about not wanting the grades averaged.

I will add though that if you're working full time all summer, you may find it hard to find enough time to effectively self-teach material that you already really struggle with. Or maybe not, some people self-teach a lot faster than didactic learning, but it's something to consider.