MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failing ECON 2X03 shaziah Academics 4 07-18-2010 03:48 PM
Currently failing physiology.. any help or tips or comments? mcm2 Academics 20 04-23-2010 09:20 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
Failing Midterms resh.jyoti Academics 23 11-16-2009 02:28 PM
Failing Math 1Z04. Not so bad? Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 54 12-18-2008 04:57 PM

What is a failing mark?

Old 01-09-2010 at 11:51 PM   #1
Cassandraa87

Liked: 1 Time

What is a failing mark?
ok so i am in 1st year humanities and after completing my exams i realized i got a D+ in english. I got higher than a C- in everything else but i was just wondering if my D+ in english means that I failed the course?
If so am I going to have to make that class up again?

Also, to get into 2nd year do I need a certain average of all 10 courses to get in ? Or how does that work?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2010 at 11:56 PM   #2
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandraa87 View Post
ok so i am in 1st year humanities and after completing my exams i realized i got a D+ in english. I got higher than a C- in everything else but i was just wondering if my D+ in english means that I failed the course?
If so am I going to have to make that class up again?

Also, to get into 2nd year do I need a certain average of all 10 courses to get in ? Or how does that work?

Thanks
No, you didn't fail the course. A failing mark is a F, which is a 0. As for the grading scale, and calculating your average, check this out:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...05/sec_118.htm

I'm not sure how it works in Humanities but to get into your major, you do need a certain average.

Old 01-09-2010 at 11:58 PM   #3
Cassandraa87

Liked: 1 Time

Thank You so much that helped alot !!
Old 01-10-2010 at 12:03 AM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandraa87 View Post

Thanks
I don't know what program you're looking to get into, but all the humanities programs i've looked at require an overall 6, plus additional grade requirements for specific classes (ie, a 7 or higher for Linguistics 1A03 and 1AA3 for the Linguistics program).

It will tell you your program requirements in the course calendar.
Old 01-10-2010 at 12:04 AM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Lol, yeah, Jake the Snake is right, you just passed.

and yes, depending on what you'd like to major in, you need a certain sessional average (for social sciences, it's a 6) and certain averages in the courses you want to major in, of course.

You can look at this site for more information.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1368.html
Just click which program you'd like to major in,
i.e. Department of French, then Honours French, or
Department of History, then Minor in History, etc.

Good lucK!

Last edited by xo.monica : 01-10-2010 at 12:06 AM.