MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last day for dropping a Term 3 course without failure AND losing money Kathy2 Academics 8 10-05-2009 10:18 PM
Questions About Engineering: Course Failure and Moving to Level 2 leech3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 04-04-2009 12:22 PM

Failure

Old 12-25-2009 at 12:21 AM   #1
JEsSica*

Liked: 1 Time

Failure
HEy so i like totally failed prob 3 classes bc psych is just a brutal class and im a total loser
soooooo.......what does that mean, like i dont wanna get kicked out ive lost so much bc of university and ya,
HELP
also whats an acedemic advisor, like i have no clue what that is but everyone keeps saying to go see that person ???
Old 12-25-2009 at 12:25 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well, try to do really well on your courses next semester. If after that your average is under 3.5, you'll be put on probation and if you don't raise your marks you risk being kicked out. It's harsh but, yeah. An academic advisor is exactly what it sounds like. :] You can go to the office of the associate dean of your faculty, and talk to an 'academic advisor' and ask them any questions you want about your academic career and your options. It would be a good idea to talk to someone about your situation when you get back in January.
Old 12-25-2009 at 01:14 AM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEsSica* View Post
HEy so i like totally failed prob 3 classes bc psych is just a brutal class and im a total loser
soooooo.......what does that mean, like i dont wanna get kicked out ive lost so much bc of university and ya,
HELP
also whats an acedemic advisor, like i have no clue what that is but everyone keeps saying to go see that person ???
Ok to start out: Do not panic yet. You sound like you don't have all your marks back, and in particular your psych mark. I've heard a rumor that the professor said something about the finals that have been marked so far were much improved over the midterm, and who knows, if you're like me you're your own worst critic and you probably did better on your finals than you thought you would.

Next, I honestly couldn't tell you what it means for your future at the University other than that you have at least next semester to start turning things around.

Finally an academic advisor works in the office of the associate dean of your faculty and is there to provide advice regarding your academic career. They are a valuable resource, and you can make an appointment with them by going to your faculty's website and finding their contact information. You may also want to consider going to the centre for student development (CSD) which is a team of professionals on the universities payroll who are there to help students succeed at university. Remember, McMaster doesn't let in just anybody. If you got in here, you are smart enough to do well. You just need to find the methods and techniques that will enable your success, and that is where the CSD can help you.

Happy Holidays

JEsSica* likes this.
Old 12-25-2009 at 01:59 AM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Actually,
"You sound like you don't have all your marks back, and in particular your psych mark."

Psych marks haven't been released yet.

EDIT: Sorry, I read that you presumed that the marks came out, but I had realized you had said the opposite. Disregard this post, lol.
Old 12-25-2009 at 05:07 AM   #5
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEsSica* View Post
HELP
I'm having a hard time taking this post seriously.

_Luu_ says thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.
Old 12-25-2009 at 12:07 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
I'm having a hard time taking this post seriously.
The ironing is delicious.

--------------

Jessica: You can't be kicked out after a single semester...if you do well next term to 'balance out' any bad grades you got this term, so long as the average of all of them is above 3.5, you're golden. If they fall between 3.0 and 3.5, you'll be put on Academic Probation, as was mentioned above.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:43 PM   #7
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Do elaborate, Bart

Last edited by lorend : 12-25-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: against terms of service
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:28 AM   #8
Great Fatsby

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I believe the word you mean is "irony"
Old 12-26-2009 at 02:16 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Do elaborate, Bart
Simply put, the joke is that I couldn't take your post seriously given that your post was 'I can't take this seriously.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Fatsby View Post
I believe the word you mean is "irony"
No, I mean "ironing." (http://www.urbandictionary.c om/def...term=ironi ng)

Equinox, xo.monica like this.
Old 12-28-2009 at 02:47 AM   #10
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

lol Jessica you are too funny.
Good job.

Old 12-28-2009 at 03:31 AM   #11
JEsSica*

Liked: 1 Time

thank you, everyone your comments were very helpful