MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confusion About Moving up a Level healthsci1 Academics 3 05-25-2010 10:41 PM
Question about moving up a level Levix Academics 2 05-17-2010 02:05 PM
Anyone going to Engineering Level 2 ????? endearing66 Academics 15 07-06-2009 05:59 AM
Question about moving level 2 engineer and course drop... hellrise First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-25-2009 02:11 PM

Questions About Engineering: Course Failure and Moving to Level 2

Old 12-04-2008 at 11:04 PM   #1
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

Questions About Engineering: Course Failure and Moving to Level 2
Okay, so from what I've read, I need a CA of 4.0 to move on to 2nd year.

Here's a few questions I hope someone can answer:

If I fail a course, what exactly happens? Do I just continue on and try to get a CA of 4.0 with the marks of the remaining courses that I passed? I'll have to re-take the failed course again in summer school I'm guessing, right?

The prerequisites for some Term 2 courses are Term 1 courses. Bascially, these would be PHYSICS 1D03 to 1E03 and MATH 1Z04 to 1ZZ5. Say that I fail MATH 1Z04. Does that mean I can't take MATH 1ZZ5 in Term 2 and are therefore screwed?

If anyone can clear this up that'd be great. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2008 at 01:49 AM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

There is a limit to failed courses. The moment you start failing courses, the CA you need to move up a year starts going up (not sure of the exact numbers but Engineering Student Services can help you with that).

If the course is offered in the summer, you can take it in the summer. Many of the technical courses are not offered in the summer so if you fail one of those you will have to take them again when it's offered.

If you fail a term 1 prerequisite, you may have to apply for special permission to continue on to the second term courses without having the prerequisite.

The failed courses stay on your record and get counted towards your CA in perpetuity.
Old 12-06-2008 at 05:10 AM   #3
leech3

So if i were to unfortunately be in a situation where a failed a prerequisite and was unable to take the term 2 course, do I just go on in the second term without that course? would there be any hope of staying in engineering then? would I be able to re-try Engineering I again next year?
Old 12-06-2008 at 10:39 AM   #4
DannyV
Elite Member

Just because you fail a prerequisite doesn't mean you can't take the courses that follow. However, you may have a tough time since the content of the course that you failed is considered assumed knowledge at that point. You can take the term 2 course with special permission from the associate dean's office.

As long as you have high enough marks you can continue in Engineering. You can also apply to be reinstated if you are "kicked out" (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...8/sec_190.htm). As the handbook says, JHE/A214 is your friend.
Old 12-06-2008 at 10:43 AM   #5
leech3

cool. thanks for all the help

hopefully i do alright in this program and end up goin through all 4 years.
Old 12-06-2008 at 12:41 PM   #6
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
There is a limit to failed courses. The moment you start failing courses, the CA you need to move up a year starts going up (not sure of the exact numbers but Engineering Student Services can help you with that).
That's the first time I've heard of that. You sure that's not just a first year thing?
Old 12-06-2008 at 01:00 PM   #7
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster View Post
That's the first time I've heard of that. You sure that's not just a first year thing?
It's a per year limit. You can carry something like 2 failed courses if you have a CA of 5.0 I believe. If it's lower than that, they put you on academic probation and if you fail another one while on academic probation you get the boot.

At least that's what the rules were 2-3 years ago, not sure if they've changed them or not. The ladies of JHE/A214 would know (I can't seem to find the rules in the Undergrad Calendar any more).
Old 12-06-2008 at 01:13 PM   #8
gregster

Hm...I don't see anything on the academic calendar and have never heard about it. It could still exist though...
Old 12-11-2008 at 06:35 AM   #9
wankey

I believe it is now just a 4.0 requirement and no more than 2 failed core courses (core engineering courses)

If you get lower than a 4 you get booted from engineering (which you can try reinstating for but that isn't guaranteed), if you get lower than a 3 you get booted from the University (which you can also get reinstated but it is much harder)

If you get reinstated, and then do poorly, you are required to withdraw from the University for an entire year... and then you can try reinstatement but I'm guessing that would be a real big mess to deal with.
Old 12-11-2008 at 09:17 AM   #10
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I've also never heard of the number of failed courses thing.

I failed 2nd term math my first year, and yes it brought my average down, but i still had something like a 4.5. I just took it in the summer and everything was dandy. My 2nd year acceptance was conditional on me passing that course, though.

If you get reinstated, I believe there is something like, you have to keep a higher average, or fail no courses.... but again, not so sure because it hasnt happened to me.
Old 01-07-2009 at 02:46 PM   #11
Jalex

I went to JHE A214 to ask about the permission to continue with the second term course requiring the prerequisite and they said that I couldn't. I'm I supposed to go to a different office for this or what?
Old 01-07-2009 at 02:54 PM   #12
micadjems
Awesome Member

That would be the place to go.... unfortunately i dont think you can be helped if they wont let you.

You'll have to retake the course you failed and take the course you can't take now as well. theyre often set up in that order for that reason.

As a bit of advice - I would say go to that second term class anyways, do the work and everything, and the summer class will be a review, it will be much easier, and you'll likely get a higher mark!
Old 01-07-2009 at 07:44 PM   #13
Jalex

Thanks, that was gonna be my back up plan if that was the case.
Old 04-03-2009 at 12:47 PM   #14
leech3

Now that more information about moving to Eng II is now out, I have a question.

A sessional average (so basically from Sept to April) of 4.0 is needed for all second year engineering programs, but what if I don't manage a 4.0 by the end of second term? What happens to my chances of going on to second year engineering?

Also, I failed two courses in Term 1 and I'm taking them again in summer school.

So, let's say I don't have a 4.0 sessional average by the end of the second term. After the summer, the marks from my summer courses finally boost by average to 4.0. Will this result with me being in a second year program or not?

Thanks for anyone that can clear this up.
Old 04-03-2009 at 01:49 PM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

I'm not 100% on this, but I think if you're between 3 (macs lowest allowable avg) and 4, eng's, you hand to talk to the dean and be reinstated. This means you take courses you got less than 4 in over again, I think, and I don't think you can have any more failures.

I think thats the process, anyhow.