MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When does the fall 2013 book list come out? jrol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2013 12:53 PM
Fall 2012 Book List is Now Live! fasailuddin General Discussion 20 08-10-2012 07:45 AM
Textbook list boeyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-19-2010 09:02 AM
Residence Wish list Undergrads Fall 2010 RyanK Residence & Housing 4 04-27-2010 11:14 PM

Fall textbook list

Old 06-26-2014 at 03:09 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Fall textbook list
Just wondering when the fall text book list would be coming out.

Thnks

JJ

nerdingout says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.

nerdingout likes this.
Old 06-26-2014 at 03:16 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Probably August.
Old 06-26-2014 at 03:37 PM   #3
nerdingout

Liked: 0 Times

@starfish do you think most professors will be using the same textbook as last year?
Old 06-26-2014 at 03:51 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdingout View Post
@starfish do you think most professors will be using the same textbook as last year?
Yes, I think most profs (>50%) will use the same book. Having said that, a different prof might be taking over a course, or a new textbook edition might come out, or they could revamp the course and/or pick a new textbook entirely. If you're stuck with a book that the prof doesn't end up using, you're not going to be able to sell/return it for the same price you paid for it. The value will go way down. So, what "most profs" end up doing doesn't really help you at all.

You shouldn't bother buying books until after the first week of classes anyways. You probably won't use half of them.
Old 06-26-2014 at 07:53 PM   #5
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

For two of my books last year I got screwed because I bought them too early (without contacting the prof). I double checked to make sure there was no new edition of the text but in both cases the prof had made a deal with the publisher and we were actually buying books from the campus store that weren't being released for another five months.
Old 08-15-2014 at 10:12 PM   #6
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
For two of my books last year I got screwed because I bought them too early (without contacting the prof). I double checked to make sure there was no new edition of the text but in both cases the prof had made a deal with the publisher and we were actually buying books from the campus store that weren't being released for another five months.
You should also take care when you are buying from other students. Most people are awesome and really honest when comes to selling used books but sometimes you'll see people trying to flog older editions of textbooks.

Always double check you have the right edition and if you need the solution manuals and software for things. You might end up paying more if you have to buy all of the pieces of a package separately.

The booklist comes out Tuesday, August 19.

Chad likes this.
Old 08-17-2014 at 12:19 PM   #7
mm99mm

Liked: 4 Times

Hi,

So do you mean to say that I should wait until Tuesday 19th make a list of the required textbooks and then buy them during first week of classes?
Old 08-17-2014 at 12:45 PM   #8
staceygab
Campus Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm99mm View Post
Hi,

So do you mean to say that I should wait until Tuesday 19th make a list of the required textbooks and then buy them during first week of classes?
Yep. You have to keep in mind that while most of the first year adoptions are in (an adoption is what we call an Instructor's order for course materials), over all there are still a significant chunk of adoptions outstanding. The list is constantly being updated.

You are always best to wait until your first class to buy your books. You never know. You may decide to drop the course or change sections. It is best to be sure before you start buying.

Last edited by staceygab : 08-17-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2014 at 02:17 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

While older students may sell you older editions .. they often sell them far cheaper than the used copies at titles/bookstore. I think most of the books i saw going used were in the like 20-40 dollar range for textbooks that go for $200+ new.

Talk to the prof. See what editions they are ok with. Get the cheapest you can. The campus bookstore should always be your absolute, absolute last resort. Its pretty easy to spend either $100 (if you are smart) or $2000 (if you buy new) for first year textbooks.

Other ideas to save money are
-International editions from Amazon or (even better) http://www.abebooks.com/
-Pirate. If a prof says you NEED the new edition that just came out then they are probably an a**hole who signed a contract with the publisher to get a cut of the profits. When looking for pirated books the piratebay is pretty good. If that fails then
1) Use adblock when searching (helps to prevent viruses)
2) Use Bing because google is really good at throwing any useful pirated stuff to like page 30 in search results
3) Search with filetype. Ex. "my book title" -filetype:pdf
4) ^That works almost every time. If not talk to upper years and fellow class mates to see what resources are floating around.

RSK1 likes this.
Old 08-19-2014 at 10:34 PM   #10
staceygab
Campus Store

The booklist is up http://bit.ly/macbooklist
Old 08-19-2014 at 10:37 PM   #11
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

you guys did an awesome job on the website!

Fantastic how it holds the department field!!!
Old 08-20-2014 at 05:53 AM   #12
staceygab
Campus Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
you guys did an awesome job on the website!

Fantastic how it holds the department field!!!
OMG - thank you. I think you are the first and only person to have noticed. We had a bit of a rocky start yesterday but got all major issues sorted. A couple of tweaks we are still working on but we should get there today.