MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Res Questions monardo Residence & Housing 27 06-20-2012 12:34 PM
questions???? raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-30-2011 05:21 PM
A Few Questions anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-07-2010 12:10 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM
2 Questions jordan23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-04-2009 09:51 PM

A Few Questions

Old 04-24-2013 at 04:11 PM   #1
Nucleus

Liked: 6 Times

A Few Questions
I've been provided with an offer of admission to McMaster but I had a few questions before I accepted my offer. I would really appreciate it if current students could help me out.

1) How is the Engineering program at Mac compared to UoT, Waterloo and Western?

2) What is Mac known for other than Health Sciences. Is Engineering a famous program in Mac?

3) I'm looking to go into the Software Engineering stream after the general first year. I've heard some rumors that SE at Mac is more theory based and less programming and application based. Is this true?

4) I've heard that getting into the SE program is not as competitive, since most students strive to get into Mechanical and Civil Engineering. Is this true? If it is, is the Software Engineering program at McMaster not as developed and reputed as its other Engineering disciplines?

5) How hard is it to get into the Software Engineering & Managements program? Would a person say taking Mechanical Engineering find it harder to get into Mechanical Engineering & Management than SE & Management? What I mean to ask is whether there are a limited number of seats for the Management course in accordance with each of the various Engineering streams (such as 10 seats for Software & Managements, 20 seats for Mech & Management, 20 for Civil & Managements) or are the seats not dependent upon the various streams (for example, 100 seats for ALL the engineering students, regardless of which stream).

Thank you!
Old 04-24-2013 at 04:14 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
I've been provided with an offer of admission to McMaster but I had a few questions before I accepted my offer. I would really appreciate it if current students could help me out.

2) What is Mac known for other than Health Sciences. Is Engineering a famous program in Mac?

3) I'm looking to go into the Software Engineering stream after the general first year. I've heard some rumors that SE at Mac is more theory based and less programming and application based. Is this true?

4) I've heard that getting into the SE program is not as competitive, since most students strive to get into Mechanical and Civil Engineering. Is this true? If it is, is the Software Engineering program at McMaster not as developed and reputed as its other Engineering disciplines?

5) How hard is it to get into the Software Engineering & Managements program? Would a person say taking Mechanical Engineering find it harder to get into Mechanical Engineering & Management than SE & Management? What I mean to ask is whether there are a limited number of seats for the Management course in accordance with each of the various Engineering streams (such as 10 seats for Software & Managements, 20 seats for Mech & Management, 20 for Civil & Managements) or are the seats not dependent upon the various streams (for example, 100 seats for ALL the engineering students, regardless of which stream).

Thank you!
1. Only people who have been through programs at all of those schools can compare them. You won't find many people like that here.

2. Depends what you mean by "famous". I think Mac Eng is pretty well-known...

Not in any way qualified to attempt to answer your other questions
Old 04-24-2013 at 04:26 PM   #3
Nucleus

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
1. Only people who have been through programs at all of those schools can compare them. You won't find many people like that here.

2. Depends what you mean by "famous". I think Mac Eng is pretty well-known...

Not in any way qualified to attempt to answer your other questions
1) How about the reputation of each school's engineering department? I've also heard that the course difficulty at UoT and Waterloo is is more than that of Mac, with Western having the least difficulty. I know that Engineering is a tough program at every school, but I'm comparing the degree of difficulty.Also, if anybody here has any friends in the schools listed, he/she might be able to help.

2) What I mean to ask is, how famous is the Faculty of Engineering at Mac compared to Mac's Humanities, Sciences, Social Sciences and Business school? Every university specializes in a particular field. Can one define Mac as a university specializing in not only Health Sciences, but also Engineering?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it! Have to make my decision in the next 24 hours.
Old 04-24-2013 at 06:08 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

1) Forget Western. If you want engineering your only real options are Uft, Mac, and waterloo (for southern ontario). Queens possibly but on a quite lower level. Of the three Mac differentiates itself by having a general first year for everyone. However from an international perspective Loo and Wft are better universities for engineering.

2) Mac is well known for engineering. Not like Waterloo where its pretty much ONLY known for Eng and Eng related things (Comp sci and math). But it is highly respected program among employers (roughly same as Uft from what I have seen)

3) For the next three questions I have one answer: Go to waterloo. Software engineering is THEIR hardest and most prestigious program. You will write your own OS in first term, first year. With mandatory Coop experience an average Waterloo software eng coop has FAR more software skills + knowledge than UFT and especially MAC. Mac is at a huge disadvantage in that you lose a year (one software course vs 6-7) and the expected knowledge going in at Waterloo is at about the same level as first year coming out of first year programming at mac.

Overall I like mac way better than waterloo, especially the atmosphere. But if your dream job is a software developer for a massive or prominent software company you would be doing yourself a disservice to not go to waterloo software engineering (NOT computer science)
Old 04-24-2013 at 06:12 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

UT+waterloo is just more competitive and a for name sake of the uni. I came to Mac simply cause of the first year general eng and I knew I'd get killed in Waterloo/UT. Idk about western

We have some big names in Chem eng.

IDK

It's just supply and demand. The level of quality is still the same. Last year everyone wanted Chem eng so average req jumped from 4-7 I heard

Not sure abouto limited seats but I know they usually look for a 7+ average for management. Management and stream selection choice is seperate since management is just an addon. You can get into a "lower requirement" eng say Materials but still have an equal chance of getting into management with 7+ Gpa
Old 04-24-2013 at 07:09 PM   #6
Nucleus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
1) Forget Western. If you want engineering your only real options are Uft, Mac, and waterloo (for southern ontario). Queens possibly but on a quite lower level. Of the three Mac differentiates itself by having a general first year for everyone. However from an international perspective Loo and Wft are better universities for engineering.

2) Mac is well known for engineering. Not like Waterloo where its pretty much ONLY known for Eng and Eng related things (Comp sci and math). But it is highly respected program among employers (roughly same as Uft from what I have seen)

3) For the next three questions I have one answer: Go to waterloo. Software engineering is THEIR hardest and most prestigious program. You will write your own OS in first term, first year. With mandatory Coop experience an average Waterloo software eng coop has FAR more software skills + knowledge than UFT and especially MAC. Mac is at a huge disadvantage in that you lose a year (one software course vs 6-7) and the expected knowledge going in at Waterloo is at about the same level as first year coming out of first year programming at mac.

Overall I like mac way better than waterloo, especially the atmosphere. But if your dream job is a software developer for a massive or prominent software company you would be doing yourself a disservice to not go to waterloo software engineering (NOT computer science)
The thing is that I'm going to be spending the next 4 years of my life at university and I want to make sure that I'm going to a university with a nice social scene, friendly atmosphere and beautiful campus. Unfortunately, Waterloo doesn't fit these descriptions. Is the difference between the software engineering program at Mac and the SE program at Waterloo THAT huge? Is the SE program at Mac not that good?

Is getting a 7.0/12.0 GPA very hard? Also, what advantage does the Engineering & Management program offer over a normal MBA? Since both would take the same amount of time (4 years of B.Eng + 2 years MBA / 5 years B.EngMgt + 1 year MBA). I plan on getting a job as the IT manager in a good company so would a M.Eng help or an MBA?
Old 04-24-2013 at 07:18 PM   #7
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
The thing is that I'm going to be spending the next 4 years of my life at university and I want to make sure that I'm going to a university with a nice social scene, friendly atmosphere and beautiful campus. Unfortunately, Waterloo doesn't fit these descriptions.
This is why I chose McMaster over Waterloo. McMaster campus is a beautiful place and if you venture further out, it's even better. Did you know that Hamilton is actually the waterfall capital of the world? It's definitely a place to be if you love exploring.

As for Software, here are all the courses you need to take in order to graduate. Perhaps compare that with Waterloo or UoT's calendar?

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2013 at 07:40 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Leeoku did a good job with this. For my own version of it, having been involved with the Engineering Society and with interaction between other schools heavily for many years now:

All eng programs at these schools have to meet the same minimum requirements: A standard for accreditation. That being said, some schools have attracted different professors who are doing more interesting research. These profs can obviously bring more in terms of innovative teaching, or they may be more useful for research opportunities. Mac is well known, nationally, for attracting these interesting, innovative researchers.

Yes. Mac is really well known for Engineering. Can't say much more here... See above.

These are just that: rumours. "More" is a relative term. Certainly, University in generally more theory based than application. In University, if you want to apply what you are learning, you can easily take advantage of the extra-curriculars. This is what I would recommend you begin looking at now: What sort of extra-curricular opportunities are offered at these institutions. These are most often offered by student societies.

No. This is not true. Again, rumours. See all the above answers.

This got too complicated/I didn't want to interpret it all.
Old 04-24-2013 at 07:47 PM   #9
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

They are all accredited therefore the degrees mean the exact same.
Old 04-24-2013 at 09:07 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Just a note. At the end of the day a university degree doesn't mean much. Other than the "name pride" that comes from say UoT/Waterloo or any other school, it is about the people you meet and skills you learn while studying. Uni is learning how to learn. Graduating from eng means you have "some" knowledge in this field being able to make decisions, critical thinking, multitasking, time management etc.

alyssarr, PockyWarrior like this.
Old 04-24-2013 at 09:24 PM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Just a note. At the end of the day a university degree doesn't mean much. Other than the "name pride" that comes from say UoT/Waterloo or any other school, it is about the people you meet and skills you learn while studying. Uni is learning how to learn. Graduating from eng means you have "some" knowledge in this field being able to make decisions, critical thinking, multitasking, time management etc.
Yes. This only further supports the idea that you need to look at the opportunities that students have for extracurriculars at the schools. What do their student societies support? opportunities What do they offer undergraduates?
Old 04-24-2013 at 09:32 PM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
The thing is that I'm going to be spending the next 4 years of my life at university and I want to make sure that I'm going to a university with a nice social scene, friendly atmosphere and beautiful campus. Unfortunately, Waterloo doesn't fit these descriptions. Is the difference between the software engineering program at Mac and the SE program at Waterloo THAT huge? Is the SE program at Mac not that good?

Is getting a 7.0/12.0 GPA very hard? Also, what advantage does the Engineering & Management program offer over a normal MBA? Since both would take the same amount of time (4 years of B.Eng + 2 years MBA / 5 years B.EngMgt + 1 year MBA). I plan on getting a job as the IT manager in a good company so would a M.Eng help or an MBA?
I had the choice between waterloo, uft and mac. I have not regretted choosing mac in the slightest. I would put mac eng at the same level as uft or waterloo but understand that certain universities are more well known for and specialize in certain programs. Waterloo's is Software. Mac is well known for general engineering and the management program. UFT is also very general. SE at mac IS good as it will be for just about any eng program at any university. Eng is very structured at to what courses have to be taught.

As for a 12 (4.0GPA) average...your going to lose that mentality after your first midterm most likely. Its certainly not impossible, and is done every year by engineers..but it is extremely difficult and the jump between highschool and university is about equivalent to going from grade 5 to grade 12. Not that it is that much harder as it is very different.

I would recommend a COOP. Coop is extremely flexible at mac and there is an option to do a 12-16 month coop right before your final year. I highly suggest doing this both for financial reasons and for the experience that Uni just cannot give you. Keep in mind though that this would make it a 5 year program even without Management.
Old 04-24-2013 at 10:32 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Management program looks nice. I do know that some companies that are based in waterloo like RIM for example give "higher" priorities only cause that was their roots. Waterloo may also be more "useful" cause there are a ton of startups there but that shouldn't stop you from finding or starting up yourself especially for software.
Old 04-25-2013 at 08:26 AM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

^ Nay. BlackBerry hires more Mac students these days. Waterloo eng students are commonly found going to California these days, sticking their noses up to BlackBerry.

Similarly, while it's not impossible to get a job at the City of Hamilton if you're a Mac Eng student, they self-admittedly hire Waterloo students more often... I do realize how dumb that sounds, but it's the way it is
Old 04-25-2013 at 09:43 AM   #15
Nucleus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
I had the choice between waterloo, uft and mac. I have not regretted choosing mac in the slightest. I would put mac eng at the same level as uft or waterloo but understand that certain universities are more well known for and specialize in certain programs. Waterloo's is Software. Mac is well known for general engineering and the management program. UFT is also very general. SE at mac IS good as it will be for just about any eng program at any university. Eng is very structured at to what courses have to be taught.

As for a 12 (4.0GPA) average...your going to lose that mentality after your first midterm most likely. Its certainly not impossible, and is done every year by engineers..but it is extremely difficult and the jump between highschool and university is about equivalent to going from grade 5 to grade 12. Not that it is that much harder as it is very different.

I would recommend a COOP. Coop is extremely flexible at mac and there is an option to do a 12-16 month coop right before your final year. I highly suggest doing this both for financial reasons and for the experience that Uni just cannot give you. Keep in mind though that this would make it a 5 year program even without Management.
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time out of their busy schedule to answer my questions. Moving on, I think you misunderstood me. I meant to ask how hard is it to get a 7.0 GPA from a total of 12.0. Also, wouldn't I be able to complete my co-op terms in the summer and thus, complete my Software Engineering & Management degree in 5 years. If I work 4 months
co-op every year, I'd have a total of 16 months of work experience so that would also qualify me to obtain an MBA from DeGrootes in one year. So in 6 years I'll have a B.Eng and an MBA specializing in IT. Would this put me in a good position to become an IT Manager after a few more years of work experience in software companies?

Also, I wanted to ask what advantage does the Engineering and Management program + accelerated MBA offer you over a normal engineering program and full time MBA? Since both would take a total of 6 years..