MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
midterm marks jasmineb General Discussion 3 10-13-2012 07:22 PM
final marks MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-26-2011 08:48 PM
Concerning final marks OSid Academics 3 04-26-2011 10:11 PM
Final Marks dhillon11 Academics 14 05-05-2009 10:12 AM
When do midterm marks get sent in? Daisydawne18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 03-27-2008 11:49 PM

Final marks vs Midterm marks

Old 03-18-2015 at 07:28 AM   #1
zacahmed

Liked: 0 Times

Final marks vs Midterm marks
OK so I applied to both mac's social science and business program and would prefer to get in business. Even though I've been stressing over not being accepted to either yet, they have only been accepting students for about a week.

My main question is basically if I have more than 6 courses including the required courses with 5 completed and 4 more this midterm.
Here are my marks
Chemistry:62
Family studies:78
Computer engineering:90
English: 82
Advanced functions: 62

And now this semester I'm taking another 5 courses including advanced functions again. I am taking AF outside of school so I already have a midterm which is 85. And since school midterms are soon I know I'll have 85-90 range in 3 of the other 4 courses left.

Now that you know all of this let me restate my question. Will Mac take priority in my chem and family studies marks over my new courses because they are final marks or will Mac take the highest mark regardless of time sent. Also will they take my new functions midterm into account over my old final mark or will they always use the original AF mark?
Old 03-18-2015 at 07:29 AM   #2
zacahmed

Im on my phone so I can't edit but the 85-90 range in 3 courses includes calculus and data management.
Old 03-18-2015 at 09:54 PM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

You'll likely be fine to get into Social Sciences with those grades. Business/Commerce is more competitive because so many people want to get into it - worst case scenario, it that's what you REALLY want you can do a first year in Soc Sci while taking some of the business/commerce courses (or overlaps like econ which is required anyway) and then transfer to business/commerce in your second year.
Old 03-18-2015 at 10:19 PM   #4
zacahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
You'll likely be fine to get into Social Sciences with those grades. Business/Commerce is more competitive because so many people want to get into it - worst case scenario, it that's what you REALLY want you can do a first year in Soc Sci while taking some of the business/commerce courses (or overlaps like econ which is required anyway) and then transfer to business/commerce in your second year.
That was already my plan which is why I applied to Soc sci. But if I finish with 85-90 in my midterms this semester which would give me an 86%+ average, is that not competitive enough to get in the commerce program this year?
Old 03-18-2015 at 10:43 PM   #5
Loko

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacahmed View Post
That was already my plan which is why I applied to Soc sci. But if I finish with 85-90 in my midterms this semester which would give me an 86%+ average, is that not competitive enough to get in the commerce program this year?
Yeah 86% should get you in. Mcmaster actually tells you the cutoff if you call or tweet @macadmit I believe at least I remember doing that I think in my year the cutoff they tweeted to me was 85% which was 2012.

I would never ever risk my university career on a transfer btw. Especially if you are a student who retook courses in high school. Chances are you will probably be one of those students who will not be successful in transferring from Soc sci to Business. When I was in first year Business 1 we had a class size of about 600 students by second year it was about 550, third year about 450. In first year for us curriculum was like all random Soc sci courses and only 1 Commerce course (lol and it's marketing ! ) yet like 150 students failed out of commerce in first year who MET the admission average. So no matter what don't go into Soc sci, it would be better to just go to high school an extra year than put yourself through that risk. Depending how over inflated your high school was with the marks the transition from High school to university can be devastating. At least staying in commerce is easier than transferring to commerce.
Old 03-18-2015 at 10:51 PM   #6
Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko View Post
Yeah 86% should get you in. Mcmaster actually tells you the cutoff if you call or tweet @macadmit I believe at least I remember doing that I think in my year the cutoff they tweeted to me was 85% which was 2012.

I would never ever risk my university career on a transfer btw. Especially if you are a student who retook courses in high school. Chances are you will probably be one of those students who will not be successful in transferring from Soc sci to Business. When I was in first year Business 1 we had a class size of about 600 students by second year it was about 550, third year about 450. In first year for us curriculum was like all random Soc sci courses and only 1 Commerce course (lol and it's marketing ! ) yet like 150 students failed out of commerce in first year who MET the admission average. So no matter what don't go into Soc sci, it would be better to just go to high school an extra year than put yourself through that risk. Depending how over inflated your high school was with the marks the transition from High school to university can be devastating. At least staying in commerce is easier than transferring to commerce.
lol can you not edit posts anymore ? sorry i think i got my numbers messed about 450-500 students in second year. 350-400 students in third year.
Old 03-18-2015 at 11:09 PM   #7
zacahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko View Post

The reason my original functions mark was low wasnt because of my capabilities. I was an idiot and prioritized sports/clubs/fun over it which resulted in me missing alot of class. Now that I am retaking it I have 85 cause ive actually been trying. Same goes for my first try at calc as I have an 86% in it right now.

About transfering I understand its quite hard to transfer but I really want to be at Macs program more than any other place. I've already been accepted to Ryersons Commerce program but looking at the odds mcmaster is my best bet at finding a job after.
Old 03-18-2015 at 11:23 PM   #8
Loko

Quote:
The reason my original functions mark was low wasnt because of my capabilities. I was an idiot and prioritized sports/clubs/fun over it which resulted in me missing alot of class. Now that I am retaking it I have 85 cause ive actually been trying. Same goes for my first try at calc as I have an 86% in it right now.

About transfering I understand its quite hard to transfer but I really want to be at Macs program more than any other place. I've already been accepted to Ryersons Commerce program but looking at the odds mcmaster is my best bet at finding a job after.
Yes okay but even then people who fail out in commerce and/or had a plan to go into commerce from Soc sci might have tried really hard but were unsuccessful because they could not adjust to university. I cant speak for you because im not you and i dont know your capabilities but just understand there is a risk and it might be devastating because university involves your real money so if you are unsucessful in uni the impact can be really bad. Its not like high school where everything was free and you can make mistakes. I say this because there's a lot of people who got in that situation and it's just sad to see. Just make sure you can get into commerce and don't go to soc sci! If you have any questions about commerce feel free to ask, I just got my internship this year also kekekekeke so I can answer questions about that process as well

zacahmed says thanks to Loko for this post.
Old 03-19-2015 at 06:53 PM   #9
zacahmed

Another question is now that I have a new midterm mark for advanced functions will they use this towards my average or will they use the original until they get a new final?
Old 03-19-2015 at 11:52 PM   #10
Loko

Quote:
Another question is now that I have a new midterm mark for advanced functions will they use this towards my average or will they use the original until they get a new final?
They will take your top 6 marks including the required courses up to your midterm marks. Since you've retaken Advanced functions they will count the new midterm mark into your average .

Check requirements here:
http://future.mcmaster.ca/admission/...n-requirements
Old 03-20-2015 at 12:11 AM   #11
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Please don't risk your program of choice by banking on a transfer after first year. It is a HUGE risk to take. University is a totally different ballgame. If you were tempted by sports/clubs/partying before, you will be even more tempted once you get here. If you have made habits of missing class before, it will only get worse. I've been there. Some people do straighten up and fly right in uni, but it is a huge risk to bank your future on. If you get into Ryerson commerce but not Mac, I would go there unless you're open to the possibility that you may have to focus your degree elsewhere.