MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help finding T13 changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-18-2010 11:53 PM
Help finding a job. Rossclot Volunteering Opportunities 16 01-18-2010 07:38 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM
ENG II Course finding help. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-08-2008 06:56 PM

Finding Out What's Slowing Mah Comp Down?

Old 06-17-2011 at 04:35 PM   #1
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Finding Out What's Slowing Mah Comp Down?
Is there any way to tell what the limiting component of my home desktop is? I doubt I'm going to do much with it but if there's a single component I can just swap out to increase my speed, I'd like to do that... since I'm going crazy without a decent compy...

Perhaps there are components or suggestions as to what usually dies out first? Fan, cpu, ram, motherboard, etc...

edit: or possibly something like system requirements labs?

Last edited by RyanC : 06-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:42 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Tell me your computer's specifications. Likely it's graphics... probably some integrated crap. If it's older, it's likely RAM. Did it always go slow? If not, your hard drive could be clogged with copious amounts of pr0n.

RyanC says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:43 PM   #3
Vaidawg

Liked: 15 Times

Ctrl+Alt+Delete, when the Task Manager opens up, choose the PROCESSES tab. Depending on your computer, some of the processes might be hidden, but there should be a button somewhere allowing you to view all the processes.
Look through the list of processes (this is easier if there absolutely NO programs like internet/MS word etc running) and find any processes that use up too much 'CPU' or 'Memory'. Things like 'svchost.exe' are MANDATORY, so ignore those. If there are some processes requiring abnormally high Memory (say 50 000 K or above), then look up the process on google to see which program it belongs to and if it's necessary for your computer to function. If I do spot an abnormal, memory-hogging process, I usually look it up on http://www.processlibrary.co m/. u

If it does turn out to be a useless process/non-mandatory memory hog, then go to Start --> Search msconfig (if you have Vista/w7) or choose "Run" and type in "msconfig" if you have XP. Open up msconfig, go to the STARTUP tab and try to look for the program corresponding to the process or the process itself in the list and uncheck that program/process so that it will no longer startup everytime you turn your computer on.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Vaidawg : 06-17-2011 at 04:46 PM.

RyanC says thanks to Vaidawg for this post.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:48 PM   #4
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

Don't know if this will be of much help..

Press control, shift, escape - and click on performance to see what your current CPU usage is like. This will give you an indicator of how much memory your comp is using at the moment.

Try deleting some programs you don't use anymore. Try to get rid of anything you don't need. Put photos, old course work on separate USB stick. That way you can always pop in your USB key whenever you want to access your files but at the same time you get to free up a lot of space on your hard drive.

Delete your browsing history/temporary internet files/cookies, if that helps.
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:50 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Tell me your computer's specifications. Likely it's graphics... probably some integrated crap. If it's older, it's likely RAM. Did it always go slow? If not, your hard drive could be clogged with copious amounts of pr0n.
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (256k mem)
Intel P4 2.4GHz

Not sure how to check for the RAM, but apparently its 2GB.
Harddrive is old and used, but tons of space and been defragged, disk-clean-up'd many times, etc.

Gonna format eventually, but wanna fix any issues caused by old hardware first.
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:52 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidawg View Post
Ctrl+Alt+Delete, when the Task Manager opens up, choose the PROCESSES tab. Depending on your computer, some of the processes might be hidden, but there should be a button somewhere allowing you to view all the processes.
Look through the list of processes (this is easier if there absolutely NO programs like internet/MS word etc running) and find any processes that use up too much 'CPU' or 'Memory'. Things like 'svchost.exe' are MANDATORY, so ignore those. If there are some processes requiring abnormally high Memory (say 50 000 K or above), then look up the process on google to see which program it belongs to and if it's necessary for your computer to function. If I do spot an abnormal, memory-hogging process, I usually look it up on http://www.processlibrary.co m/. u

If it does turn out to be a useless process/non-mandatory memory hog, then go to Start --> Search msconfig (if you have Vista/w7) or choose "Run" and type in "msconfig" if you have XP. Open up msconfig, go to the STARTUP tab and try to look for the program corresponding to the process or the process itself in the list and uncheck that program/process so that it will no longer startup everytime you turn your computer on.

Hope this helps!
I've been process terminating and msnconfig'n for like... forever. Thanks though for reminding me, I'll take another look through.
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:52 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (256k mem)
Intel P4 2.4GHz

Not sure how to check for the RAM, but apparently its 2GB.
Harddrive is old and used, but tons of space and been defragged, disk-clean-up'd many times, etc.

Gonna format eventually, but wanna fix any issues caused by old hardware first.
Out of curiosity, is that a dell?
Old 06-17-2011 at 04:54 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is that a dell?
Its actually an asus.. has been working fine for years, its just been on the downward slope!

I actually had no idea it was an asus till I just looked now... interesting
Old 06-17-2011 at 05:26 PM   #9
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

I don't fully understand everything that it does, but I've been using this program for months now and it's done me solid.

justinsftw says thanks to Twelve Chars for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 06-17-2011 at 05:55 PM   #10
Vaidawg

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I've been process terminating and msnconfig'n for like... forever. Thanks though for reminding me, I'll take another look through.
Haha yea I thought so, an engineer would probably well versed in this awesome trick.
Old 06-17-2011 at 06:18 PM   #11
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I'd say replace that P4...
Old 06-17-2011 at 06:51 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I'd say replace that P4...
I'd say try getting a better video card, like a 6800 GT (last semi-decent card I know of that's AGP and probably next to nothing in cost). Make sure your computer has an AGP slot... if you're lucky, it might even have a PCI-E slot, in which case things can be even cheaper.

It's still going to be shitty, but it should provide a significant performance boost over what you have.

This would work if your computer has AGP.
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:32 PM   #13
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

It's all the pr0n. 100%
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:33 PM   #14
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
I'd say try getting a better video card, like a 6800 GT (last semi-decent card I know of that's AGP and probably next to nothing in cost). Make sure your computer has an AGP slot... if you're lucky, it might even have a PCI-E slot, in which case things can be even cheaper.

It's still going to be shitty, but it should provide a significant performance boost over what you have.

This would work if your computer has AGP.
Ehh, I guess it depends what he's doing with it/when it's slowing down.
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:36 PM   #15
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Its very unlikely to be the GPU. Post a screenshot of the activity monitor, its most likely the processor or ram. If you cant afford a new one, install linux on it.