MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scholarly Websites? shay2014 Academics 8 10-04-2010 11:17 AM
Help finding T13 changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-18-2010 11:53 PM
Help finding a job. Rossclot Volunteering Opportunities 16 01-18-2010 07:38 PM
ENG II Course finding help. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-08-2008 06:56 PM

Finding Scholarly Sources

Old 11-29-2010 at 09:02 PM   #1
a.singh92

Liked: 0 Times

Finding Scholarly Sources
im currently writing an essay for communication studies and we've been asked to search for scholarly sources which have been peer reviewed as proofs for our essay.
im not too sure how to find these journals from the mcmaster library website. can somebody please help me asap!!! :(
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:15 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

This is an excellent question indeed. Since this is a hard thing to teach without pictures I'm going to include the lecture slides from a lecture I took in enviro sci 1g03 when we had a thode librarian give a lecture on using the website to find scholarly sources. essentially it's a guide with pictures that gives some good hints along the way. If you have any questions about it after going through the lecture, feel free to ask again, I'll be glad to help.

Skip the first few slides, as those were just thrown in to make it relevant to the paper we were expected to write. You should start from slide 7.

link: Lecture notes

lorend likes this.
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:16 PM   #3
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.singh92 View Post
im currently writing an essay for communication studies and we've been asked to search for scholarly sources which have been peer reviewed as proofs for our essay.
im not too sure how to find these journals from the mcmaster library website. can somebody please help me asap!!! :(
Go to library.mcmaster.ca
Click the Articles and Databases tab
Search by your subject (communication studies)
It will ask you what database you'd like to use. Generally go for the ones they offer. Use Communication and Mass Media Complete.
Assuming you're off campus, it will ask your for your libaccess id. Thats simply your mac id and password, so enter those. When you do that you'll be able to access the site.
Preform your search. Make sure in the Search Options to limit your search to Peer reviewed articles only (scholary) by clicking on the check box.
Find articles that pertain to your topic.

When you're done this assignment or have some free time, I would highly suggest just messing around with the library website and all the tools they offer - it will really save some time and you'll know what to look for faster.
If I'm not mistaken, I think the library offers free seminars like this which help students use the library properly. You may want to check one of those out.

Last edited by Deegs14 : 11-29-2010 at 09:18 PM.

a.singh92 likes this.
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:17 PM   #4
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

http://library.mcmaster.ca/articles/results/field_subjects:%22Com munication+Studies%22
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:31 PM   #5
a.singh92

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Go to library.mcmaster.ca
Click the Articles and Databases tab
Search by your subject (communication studies)
It will ask you what database you'd like to use. Generally go for the ones they offer. Use Communication and Mass Media Complete.
Assuming you're off campus, it will ask your for your libaccess id. Thats simply your mac id and password, so enter those. When you do that you'll be able to access the site.
Preform your search. Make sure in the Search Options to limit your search to Peer reviewed articles only (scholary) by clicking on the check box.
Find articles that pertain to your topic.

When you're done this assignment or have some free time, I would highly suggest just messing around with the library website and all the tools they offer - it will really save some time and you'll know what to look for faster.
If I'm not mistaken, I think the library offers free seminars like this which help students use the library properly. You may want to check one of those out.
thanks this was a lot of help! however, while looking at the results of my search, i noticed that many of these are actual books, and i cant access them without taking them out of the library. since this essay is due very sooon (LOL) is there another way i can access these peer-reviewed sources?
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:36 PM   #6
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

1. log into libaccess.mcmaster.ca
  2. go to search the internet
  3. click google scholar
  4. .
  5. profit
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:47 PM   #7
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.singh92 View Post
thanks this was a lot of help! however, while looking at the results of my search, i noticed that many of these are actual books, and i cant access them without taking them out of the library. since this essay is due very sooon (LOL) is there another way i can access these peer-reviewed sources?
What subject are you looking for?
Anyways, try clicking on the Access Full PDF file at the bottom of each search result, provided one is there.
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:51 PM   #8
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

JSTOR, accessible through the library site, as others have mentioned.

Old 12-07-2010 at 09:20 AM   #9
KristaG
Mills - Reference Librarian

Liked: 37 Times

In future, if you're stuck and having trouble with research, be sure to stop by the research help desk - all libraries have one. You can also contact the liaison librarian (subject/research expert) - every department has one and you can find them here http://library.mcmaster.ca/contact/liaisons (and I'm the csmm liaison, so if you get stuck again, feel free to contact me)

lorend says thanks to KristaG for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 03:28 PM   #10
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Use libaccess to set up google scholar to search through it.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 12-08-2010
hedi01
This message has been removed by a moderator. .