Google Wave jhan523 General Discussion 46 07-26-2009 01:52 AM

First wave of MIDTERMS Complete!

Old 10-07-2015 at 10:59 AM   #1
basita1

Liked: 1 Time

First wave of MIDTERMS Complete!
Hey Upper years!!!!
(especially engineers)

So the first wave of midterms are almost finished for me, I got my marks back for a few courses.
Didnt really do so fly on my chem 1e03 midterm. its worth 15% which idk is bad or good however i was wondering if u guys have any advice for me on how to get back up and boost my mark. Ofcourse ik to go and talk to my prof during office hours already.

Chad likes this.
Old 10-07-2015 at 11:55 AM   #2
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Its worth 15%, but labs/tutorials/assignments are worth much more and are easier marks to get. This will offset a bad midterm easily. Just keep working at it.
Old 10-07-2015 at 03:32 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Just don't stoop to the tragic level of many of today's first years and go to your Prof asking for a mark boost because "[you] knew the material". You can go to your prof, but your TA's are good to know too... Really, you should be going to these people to understand the material that you didn't grasp the first time around.

Good luck
Old 10-07-2015 at 05:06 PM   #4
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Try to experiment with different study habits. I.e. Try studying at the library/student center/empty tutorial room. Maybe try listening to music/ambient noise/nothing. Try using cue cards/rewriting notes/getting classmates to quiz you. Honestly, once you find something that works for you, you'll see an improvement
Old 10-07-2015 at 05:42 PM   #5
Qichen Wang

Liked: 0 Times

I'm not trying to be mean, but going to someone to ask for a boost in marks isn't going to get you anywhere. There are 800 other first year engineering students so why should they be nice? Just accept your mark for what it is and try harder next time and hopefully you'll do better. Good luck
Old 10-07-2015 at 05:53 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

15% is nothing. You need to use this as a wake up call and develop better study habits for the final.

Also going to the prof is perfectly cool ... but not to ask for marks. If you are going to the prof you need to have a concise list of things you dont understand and kindly ask for help. Asking for marks will just put you on a black list.