MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is economics 4th year courses necessary to minor in economics? lululand Academics 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM
Easiest Second year economics course? kanishka Academics 4 08-19-2010 04:24 PM
Seeking advice for second year economics jordko Academics 4 08-19-2010 04:17 PM
Upper Year Economics Courses samantha__ Academics 0 06-18-2008 04:16 PM

First year economics courses

Old 07-22-2009 at 05:32 PM   #1
KMarsden

Liked: 0 Times

First year economics courses
I'm going into my 4th year in Political Science, and was considering taking an economics course as an elective. I was wondering which course (econ 1b03 or 1bb3) anyone would recommend me to take.
Ideally, I'd like to pick the easiest of the two, since it will be an elective, but I'd also like to know which would be more in line with Poli Sci. I was thinking 1bb3 (macro) would be more related, but I'm not sure. I only have room to take one of them. I've also not done any math since high school sooo, just wondering what anyone thought I should do!
Thx
Old 07-22-2009 at 05:57 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I know that both Economics courses are taught from scratch and are considered "relatively" easy
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1841 8
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1837 1

And reading through the comments, both don't seem that mathematically advanced but one commenter vocalised that Microeconomics had harder formulas to memorize, which I assume was in comparison to Macro

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 06:36 PM   #3
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I took both courses and I found both courses very interesting. I would definitely have to say when comparing the two that I found Microeconomics 1b03 easier with Dr. Holmes just because there were far less assignments (3 in the whole term) and weekly in class quizzes out of 10 worth about 1% of your mark. In macroeconomics with Dr. O'Shaunessy there was one or sometimes two assignments due every week. Also the micro exam/midterms were all multiple choice whereas the macro exams/midterms had multiple choice as well as short answer.

When comparing the two professors though, I found Dr. O'Shaunessy far more interesting/engaging as Dr. Holmes tended to read directly off her slides (which didn't really encourage me to attend class or keep up), thought not everyone likes Dr. O'Shaunessy's teaching style. However you should definitely check out course outlines and which profs are teaching these courses this year to get a better idea. You can easily get a good grade in either course as long as you keep up with your readings and notes

In regards to which is more in line with Political Science, I would have to pick Macroeconomics just because it focuses on a larger perspective, like the economy of the entire nation or world. Microeconomics focuses solely on households and firms. But I'm not a poli sci major so I'd suggest borrowing a textbook or just reading up online to find out which one you feel best suits you

Last edited by Nila : 07-22-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 08:00 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nila View Post
I took both courses and I found both courses very interesting. I would definitely have to say when comparing the two that I found Microeconomics 1b03 easier with Dr. Holmes just because there were far less assignments (3 in the whole term) and weekly in class quizzes out of 10 worth about 1% of your mark. In macroeconomics with Dr. O'Shaunessy there was one or sometimes two assignments due every week. Also the micro exam/midterms were all multiple choice whereas the macro exams/midterms had multiple choice as well as short answer.

When you say that the quizzes out of 10 are worth 1%, do you mean each or in total?
Old 07-22-2009 at 08:29 PM   #5
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I believe it was each quiz was worth one percent but they only took your 6 or 8 highest, so you could miss some and it wasn't that big of a deal. It also meant that you had one less class a week because on quiz day you just go in and write it and leave (they are multiple choice)
Old 07-22-2009 at 08:35 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nila View Post
I believe it was each quiz was worth one percent but they only took your 6 or 8 highest, so you could miss some and it wasn't that big of a deal. It also meant that you had one less class a week because on quiz day you just go in and write it and leave (they are multiple choice)
That's interesting... I'm taking the evening class, so I wonder how that's going to work...
Old 07-22-2009 at 08:36 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When you say that the quizzes out of 10 are worth 1%, do you mean each or in total?
Jeremy when are you taking Econ 1B03? And which term? And which core?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 08:39 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Jeremy when are you taking Econ 1B03? And which term? And which core?
Term 1, evening. Core 1? there is only 1 anyways.
Old 07-22-2009 at 08:55 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Term 1, evening. Core 1? there is only 1 anyways.
Ah well

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 10:07 PM   #10
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarsden View Post
I'm going into my 4th year in Political Science, and was considering taking an economics course as an elective. I was wondering which course (econ 1b03 or 1bb3) anyone would recommend me to take.
Ideally, I'd like to pick the easiest of the two, since it will be an elective, but I'd also like to know which would be more in line with Poli Sci. I was thinking 1bb3 (macro) would be more related, but I'm not sure. I only have room to take one of them. I've also not done any math since high school sooo, just wondering what anyone thought I should do!
Thx
Hey! I'm in Poli Sci and I took both econs in first year. I would recommend Macro if you're looking to take the one more related to poli sci. I found Macro more interesting and more theory based as opposed to mathy.

Take Macro!
Old 07-22-2009 at 10:14 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
one commenter vocalised that Microeconomics had harder formulas to memorize, which I assume was in comparison to Macro
I've only taken Micro (1B03), and I'd just like to point out that the formulas all make sense, so you shouldn't be too worried about convoluted formulas or anything like that.

The trick is to study the graphs and learn why the things make sense (as opposed to memorizing formulas). Then the formulas kind of fall out of the graphs you picture in your mind while writing the test. (:

This really works...I took the course like 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I've retained like 90% of the information just by remembering the graphs.

MR = TR / q

Still got it. xD

jhan523 says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 10:30 PM   #12
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I've only taken Micro (1B03), and I'd just like to point out that the formulas all make sense, so you shouldn't be too worried about convoluted formulas or anything like that.

The trick is to study the graphs and learn why the things make sense (as opposed to memorizing formulas). Then the formulas kind of fall out of the graphs you picture in your mind while writing the test. (:

This really works...I took the course like 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I've retained like 90% of the information just by remembering the graphs.

MR = TR / q

Still got it. xD

I'm 99.99% sure that should be AR instead of MR >_>

MR would be d/dq (TR)
Old 07-22-2009 at 10:53 PM   #13
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I took both, Econ 1BB3 is more in line with Poli Sci, as Econ 1B03 is much more abstract while 1BB3 looks at how unemployment and such fits into the economy.

I found 1B03 to be easier, but both are really easy courses, I'm sure a 4th year student like yourself will have no problem getting an awesome grade in either.

Last edited by Fight0 : 07-22-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 10:55 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I took both, Econ 1BB3 is more in line with Poli Sci, as Econ 1B03 is much more abstract while 1B03 looks at how unemployment and such fits into the economy.

I think the second instance of 1B03 should be 1BB3

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 10:58 PM   #15
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
I took both, Econ 1BB3 is more in line with Poli Sci, as Econ 1B03 is much more abstract while 1B03 looks at how unemployment and such fits into the economy.

I think the second instance of 1B03 should be 1BB3
You are correct