MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy first year elective Katelyn999 Academics 12 07-17-2010 12:00 PM
Easy First Year Elective caitygambi Academics 1 06-25-2010 08:43 PM
elective course for the first-year?? Sandra Shan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-11-2010 10:20 AM
Second Year Life Sci Elective jaucep Academics 2 12-12-2009 08:57 AM
Second year elective - Engineering viky General Discussion 1 06-20-2009 10:01 AM

First Year Eng. Elective? What was yours?

Old 03-27-2010 at 10:27 AM   #16
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

I took econ 1b03 and geog 1hb3. econ was great. geog no so much. if you like to do 7-10 page reports go for it...but its a huge time waster.
Old 03-27-2010 at 01:57 PM   #17
Vic.And

Liked: 2 Times

linguistics 1A03, really easy and i found it interesting, would also recommend macro 1bb3
Old 03-30-2010 at 03:35 PM   #18
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

First Year:

Term I : GEO 1HB3 Human Geography. This course was alright but quite alot of work involved (essays). Some of the material was interesting and pretty straight forward I guess.

Term 2: HISTORY 1BB3. Thought I'd try something different and get away from the math and all but this was the biggest mistake I ever made lol. This course was brutal. Period.

Second Year:

NONE! (yay Mechatronics!!)
Old 03-30-2010 at 06:38 PM   #19
Melissax

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Term 2: HISTORY 1BB3. Thought I'd try something different and get away from the math and all but this was the biggest mistake I ever made lol. This course was brutal. Period.
Why was History so bad? I was looking at the list of electives for Engineering and I was only interested in the history courses. Is it just because of essays? Or what? Can you elaborate at all?
Old 03-30-2010 at 08:40 PM   #20
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissax View Post
Why was History so bad? I was looking at the list of electives for Engineering and I was only interested in the history courses. Is it just because of essays? Or what? Can you elaborate at all?
Ok the history course that I took was HISTORY 1BB3: Global History in the 20th Century. It wasn't writing essays that I had a problem with it. I actually enjoyed writing a few of the essays since it was a break from engineering material. It was more a combination of poor choice of professor and course material layout that made this course horrible in my opinion. Biggest problem imo was the professor BUT luckily she is not teaching that course anymore so I don't know if the material has changed or what. Maybe someone who has taken it this year with the new professor can give you a better idea.
Anyways one thing you should consider is the amount of reading you will be doing in any history course. Its going to be ALOT and you will need to read them since you discuss the readings in tutorials and theres a heavy weighting on that. The books that my professor chose at the time were so dry and boring I found it nearly impossible to sit through one chapter and I like reading lol. Plus with all the other courses you will be juggling you will really have to manage your time efficiently.

My advice would be to do both econs. That opens up Management and both are fairly easy. If you really have you heart set on trying out a history course though I say go for it.
Old 03-31-2010 at 09:02 AM   #21
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
My advice would be to do both econs. That opens up Management and both are fairly easy. If you really have you heart set on trying out a history course though I say go for it.
I agree. If not both, then just microecon 1b03, its fairly easy, not much coursework and gives you time to focus on your eng subjects.
Old 03-31-2010 at 05:28 PM   #22
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Took 1b03/1bb3 first year, taking french 1z06 now. the econs were a joke, the french was a joke up till midterm, now its kinda difficult, especially if you suck at memorizing.
Old 03-31-2010 at 06:28 PM   #23
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

i took econ 1b03 in term 1 at night and 1bb3 term 2 at night.
i thought 1bb3 was slightly more interesting cuz the prof didn't just read off the lecture slides.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:54 AM   #24
[ln(iX)]

Old thread but oh well.
I took linguistics first semester. With the workload I had in eng. it was annoying and tedious to do the work. I have a very poor aptitude towards languages other then English and necessarily that linguistics is a completely separate issue...

So that class was dropped a month in.

I took microeconomics second semester and it is fairly easy as long as you can be motivated to look at your book or go to class (I looked at a lecture slide myself only a few months ago). It would be difficult to not do ANYTHING and still get a 12 but overall it is a bird course in my opinion.

My makeup credit for the linguistics which I am doing over the summer is pharmacology, not with McMaster though.
Old 04-24-2010 at 01:35 PM   #25
erinn

Liked: 2 Times

I took Classics 1B03. Funny prof who brought his dog to lectures, really boring tutorials. One essay. If you took notes in class then it was a piece of cake.
Old 05-11-2010 at 03:53 PM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I hate that we need electives.

I was thinking of taking Linguistics 1A03, but that does NOT fit with my schedule at all 1AA3 same case... now im back to choosing one.

Any suggestions guys? I dont mind writing essays. I just hate reading -.-
Old 05-11-2010 at 07:42 PM   #27
ali999

micro and psych...micro is easy as hell and i would recommend it because if you are interested in applying to management later on..u need it
Old 05-11-2010 at 07:47 PM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali999 View Post
micro and psych...micro is easy as hell and i would recommend it because if you are interested in applying to management later on..u need it
Yup. But im going into my 3rd year :p

Already taken micro, i guess macro is fine aswell?
Old 05-11-2010 at 07:47 PM   #29
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I hate that we need electives.

I was thinking of taking Linguistics 1A03, but that does NOT fit with my schedule at all 1AA3 same case... now im back to choosing one.

Any suggestions guys? I dont mind writing essays. I just hate reading -.-
Anthro 1A03. I didn't do any of the reading until the days before the essay/exams and I ended up doing well. The course might have changed, but when I took it there was a substantial Case Study essay (worth ~40%), so make sure you really don't mind writing if you take it.
Old 05-11-2010 at 07:54 PM   #30
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Anthro 1A03. I didn't do any of the reading until the days before the essay/exams and I ended up doing well. The course might have changed, but when I took it there was a substantial Case Study essay (worth ~40%), so make sure you really don't mind writing if you take it.
Yeah i dont. First year I took an english course and had to write an essay worth 37.5%, and it was fine.