MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop help for 1st year engineering mel369 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 08-23-2011 01:35 AM
Laptop for first year? Sync First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-02-2008 09:56 AM

First year eng laptop?

Old 07-08-2016 at 01:56 PM   #1
Uv-Rayz

Liked: 1 Time

First year eng laptop?
Any recommendations on a good laptop to buy for first year engineering? Possibly under 1K
Old 07-08-2016 at 03:04 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

For tonnes of reasons that I don't have enough time to get into here, I am a huge fan of Lenovo thinkPads. They are powerhouses. That being said, there are alternatives in a couple (just a couple) other brands. You could start your own research by looking into a Lenovo X1 laptop, then googling "comparisons" and finding what articles come up -- there will be tech industry reviewers who compare the Lenovo X1 with similar laptops from other brands.

Best of luck

Uv-Rayz says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 07-08-2016 at 08:58 PM   #3
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

@GeorgeLucas
Old 07-08-2016 at 09:16 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingTarget View Post
@GeorgeLucas
At first I thought my comment got deleted and my account banned (again), but no, it's just someone who can't find same exact thread on the same exact webpage created within same day.

Uv-Rayz says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 07-08-2016 at 09:29 PM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

not another one of these pointless threads!

Look man! Don't waste money on a Mac despite how nice it looks, its not gonna help boost ur GPA or help u get chicks. Be wise, frugal: and buy a computer running Windows.

DONE!
*************** Edit************

Go to best buy. I'm sure someone there can help you out. HP, Lenovo, Toshiba are the usual suspects

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-08-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: didn't read the acutal post. Went off the title.

Uv-Rayz says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.
Old 07-08-2016 at 10:32 PM   #6
Uv-Rayz

@GeorgeLucas Well the other post didn't say what program the laptop was needed for and I'm pretty sure laptops for engineering require better specs than laptops that are just going to be used to surf the web and write essays...Thanks for the reply tho boss (Y)
Old 07-08-2016 at 10:34 PM   #7
Uv-Rayz

@jon.john23 I thought when I mentioned "possibly under 1k" I immediately took out the possibility of buying a Mac but I guess not XD

jon.john23 says thanks to Uv-Rayz for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 07-08-2016 at 10:51 PM   #8
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uv-Rayz View Post
@GeorgeLucas Well the other post didn't say what program the laptop was needed for and I'm pretty sure laptops for engineering require better specs than laptops that are just going to be used to surf the web and write essays...Thanks for the reply tho boss (Y)
Dude you are asking about a laptop, not an IBM mainframe. As long as you can turn it on, it will do. The GPU is not really used by most of the software, so all it comes to is the CPU and most laptops over 500 bucks have an okay processor.

Also the guy asked for a gaming laptop, and there's not a single engineering application you will be doing in your undergrad that will require as much juice as gaming.

Uv-Rayz says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 07-09-2016 at 03:04 AM   #9
dimamay

Liked: 0 Times

Well McMaster's engineering FAQ states the following for the question: what kind of laptop would I need?

For Windows Users
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate/Enterprise, or Microsoft Windows Vista (SP2) (32-bit or 64-bit) Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate, or Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP3) or Professional x64 Edition (SP2)
Intel Pentium 4, 2 GHz or faster, Intel Xeon, Intel Core, AMD Athlon 64, or AMD Opteron, or later
2 GB RAM or more
Microsoft Direct3D 10 or Direct3D 9 capable graphics card
DVD-ROM drive
Microsoft Mouse-compliant pointing device
Internet connection for web download
Adobe Flash Player 10

So to run the softwares that might be given to you in the program, 2GB of RAM is doable (who even makes laptops with that kind of RAM anymore though?) but I would recommend at least 8GB if you want a smooth performance and less lag. Find yourself any laptop with 8GB RAM Intel core i5 or i7 and you should be perfectly fine. Avoid a MacBook because you WILL need to install a software that generates a Windows software that is able to run the software that is given for the engineering program! Too laggy and annoying!
Old 07-16-2016 at 09:46 PM   #10
mercer

Liked: 0 Times

Depending on what job in pentesting you're doing. If for games, here are the tips http://pcgamerhome.com/gaming-laptops-under-1000/