MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year math tutorials Serene Academics 6 08-18-2010 07:12 AM
1st year business math needed? jcbr100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-10-2010 11:26 PM
3rd year math courses?? e-norman Academics 1 05-18-2010 12:20 PM
preparing for first year math adamg6 Academics 4 06-21-2008 05:08 PM

First Year Math Exam Help

Old 11-21-2009 at 04:28 PM   #1
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

First Year Math Exam Help
Hi everyone,

If you don't know me, my name's Mike and I'm a TA for Math 2A03 (Vector Calculus for Science students).

Recently I've started getting an unbelievably large number of emails asking for private tutoring sessions (some from fellow macinsiders members!)...more than I can accomodate! So what I've started doing is holding 'office hour' style group tutoring sessions.

Essentially I make an appointment with a group of 5 or more students and they come and ask me questions about any first year material. I do so pro bono (ie. not for payment), but given that's the case, I generally don't prepare for such sessions, and hence ask for understanding if I can't answer a specific question or two on the fly.

So why does that interest you? Essentially, if there's enough demand then I'd like to hold an office hour exclusively for first year macinsiders members. I should be comfortable enough with any first year math course to answer questions on the fly.

----------------------

So the take home point: I am willing to offer free group tutoring to macinsiders members taking any first year math** courses for an hour or two during exams if there's enough demand for it. Let me know, either by posting here or by PM if you'd like to take advantage of this.

(**Essentially, this means any first year calculus, or linear algebra course.)

EDIT: I CAN ALSO HELP WITH INTRODUCTORY LEVEL STATS

Last edited by Mowicz : 11-21-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Fa11enAnge1, goodnews.inc, Mahratta, VastHorizon, xo.monica all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Old 11-21-2009 at 04:56 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I could certainly have used this during my first year

This is a great idea, and I just want to say I think its awesome that you are doing this.

Would you like first years who are interested to post here, or PM you?
Old 11-21-2009 at 05:00 PM   #3
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Really? There is demand for Math Tutors...I would think its 1D04 that most people would be worried about
Old 11-21-2009 at 05:54 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Hmm, well I figure it'd be better if people would post here for two reasons:

1) People can see if others are interested
2) It bumps the topic. (;

But I worry that some people may be embarrassed to publicly ask for help, and if this is the case you can PM me.

Oh, I always wanted to mention, since I heard a lot of horror stories:

YES I CAN HELP WITH INTRODUCTORY LEVEL STATS

(But it has been a while since I've done any statistics, so this may fall into the category of "I may not be able to do it on the fly" haha).
Old 11-21-2009 at 06:28 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I'd be interested.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-21-2009 at 08:10 PM   #6
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I'd definitely be interested. It's great that you're doing this, thanks a lot!
Old 11-21-2009 at 10:31 PM   #7
Sweetie321

Liked: Liked 3 Times

wow i love you :|
i will definitely be interested !
Old 11-22-2009 at 12:00 AM   #8
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I would be interested as well! 1Z04 here!
Old 11-22-2009 at 12:02 AM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Interested for both 1A03 and Stats 1L03.
Oh, Stats.

And thanks Mike, for taking the time out of your schedule to do this It's really appreciated and quite welcome

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-22-2009 at 12:26 AM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Oh yeah that reminds me...

If you'd like help can you let me know what your exam date is (and I suppose which courses, as Bushra and VastHorizon have done)? I want to prioritize and try to schedule accomodating times (luckily, it's a bit easier once classes stop, for groups of 5 people or so to find convenient times).

I'd also like to try and lump the calculus people together (regardless of whether it's 1A, 1X or 1Z), since most of the material overlaps nicely and I could help everyone out at once, by doing some of the problems/explaining some of the concepts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2009 at 08:18 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Mine's December 14th (I think)

1A03.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-22-2009 at 09:05 AM   #12
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

1Z04 is on Dec. 18th. I get all the math and Calculus part.

It's just that series and sequences are a PITA. Dahhh...

Thank you so much!
Old 11-22-2009 at 10:04 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Okay, Math 1X03 is on the 11th...so if anyone is in 1X03 let me know as soon as possible so we can do the calculus session before then.

Otherwise, I'm thinking of holding it on approximately the 12th/13th of December, to accomodate the 1A, 1LS as well as the 1Z students. (But keep in mind I don't know my own exam schedule, or which exams I will be grading/invigilating, so this is subject to change)

My plan is essentially to do a crash course in calc...I'll quickly run through the intuition behind:

1) Limits
2) Continuity
3) Derivatives ('first principles')
4) Derivative rules
5) Curve Sketching
6) Integration (Riemann sums)
7) Integration strategies (Substitution, by Parts)
8) Sequences and Series
---Specifically, I plan to take up the 3rd test you guys just had, since it's now posted online.
9) Open the floor to questions

Does this sound like a decent plan? Or would you rather I just opened the floor to questions?

----------------

Stats 1L03 and 2B03 are both on December 18th, so something around say, the 16th of December would probably be a good choice (subject to change as above).

Since I'm not as comfortable with stats, I think the best thing for you guys to do is ask questions...but make sure you bring formula sheets as I likely won't be able to remember some of the more complex formulas.

----------------

Math 1B03 is on December 21st...so far I've yet to hear anyone mention Linear Algebra, so again if you'd like help, let me know as soon as possible. I can potentially hold a third hour for people having questions regarding linear algebra if there's enough demand.

I'll summarize this in my original post in this thread.

Nevermind, I can no longer edit that post...haha.

So here's the summary:

CALCULUS: Approximately December 12th/13th (including Sequences and Series)

STATS: Approximately December 16th

LINEAR ALGEBRA: TBD...so far there is no demand for it.

OTHER MATHS: Let me know which course I've missed, and we can work around it.

Last edited by Mowicz : 11-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2009 at 02:12 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think that when it comes to Math 1A03, the real problem is with integration (just in my opinion). I feel we went through the material quite quickly and while it is possible to do well, it's...still relatively new and unfamiliar. But that's just my opinion

For Stats 1L03: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~yazinski/1L03/notes.html

The most problems were with Section 6.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-22-2009 at 02:15 PM   #15
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Hey, I'm in 1A03 as well. The 'crash course' idea sounds good to me...